Post Relaxer Pics - Thanks Arcadian!

Arcadian your relaxer method is fabulous.

I did my best to follow your instructions without the use of pictures. This is my second relaxer. I did 12 week stretches for both.

I gathered small sections of hair and clamped the ends where I didn’t want the relaxer to overlap. I got a little zealous with the clamps and ended up using about 20 of them all over my head. I forgot to coat my ends with Vaseline but I got the hair line good. Not coating the tips wasn’t a big deal because the clamps stopped me from overlapping for the most part.

The only problem I had was the clamps occasionally slid out. I would grab a clean one and put it back on. Maybe next time I will only use 12 like you do. I squeezed the relaxer through the new growth. The application took less than 5 minutes for my whole head excluding my hair line. The rest of the time I worked on smoothing and asking my husband “am I pretty with relaxer in my head”. I used approximately 15 minutes to smooth total. My only problem was not focusing on my crown enough. I had 12 weeks of new growth. The length was about and inch & a half long plus this part of my hair is extra coarse. I should have applied the relaxer here first. Next time I will know to do this. This method took all of the worry out of application. All you have to do is squeeze the relaxer into the sections and smooth the hair. I still made my daughter hold the mirror so I can see if all the sections have relaxer applied. I didn’t even worry about uneven application because the relaxer goes on so fast I didn’t even realize I was done. Thank you so much for the idea!

wheezy807

Congratz EHP,
please share what products did you use? What did you relax, neutralize, shampoo and deep condition with? Inquiring pj wants to know! Any pics?

Arcadian

Great! I'm glad it worked for you!

I started doing it this way because though the 1/2 method works, I was getting my head (and scalp) really wet. This allows application in one shot with a lot of new growth. I always start in the crown because its the wildest part of my head too.

Anxiety was the mother of my invention:D

I laughed about the 20 clips... Thats a lot of clips!! :lol: If you've got really thick hair then yeah you may need a few more than what I use.

I may have to use more next time because I actually broke a clip (too much hair in there).

-A

Arcadian

Sure!
I don't know if you really want to call it a method or and act of sheer desparation:lol:

Whichever you want to call it, getting it right means making sure you prep before hand. That means having everything you need within arms reach.

The Tools:
here's what I usually keep handy:

• couple of towels
  • gloves (I like the form fitting surgical ones)
  • comb
  • processing brush
  • Sectioning clips - I have 18 but use 12.
  • Porosity control or other protectant
  • 2 mirrors
  • 4 damp cotton balls, 2 with neutralizing solution on them (cause I'm paranoid)
The Method
I don't base my scalp, others do and thats fine, but since I use phyto all it does is severly underprocess me so I skip that step.

I section off 12 ponytails(pigtails) and use hair clips to keep them sectioned.

I use plastic clips, not metal because metal can react with the relaxer (and its to play it safe)

These type don't have teeth so they're very safe for hair.

I put the clip directly above the new growth. Above the clip I use porosity control as a protectant and I really slather it on. You can use whatever you want, vasaline, grease, whatever, but you shouldn't skip this step. This is a precaution so that you don't process the previously relaxed hair.

I get my mirrors set up how I need them. This part take beforehand practice. If a person has self relaxed before they know what bests suits them. One of my mirrors is a magnifying one because I don't wear my glasses when I'm relaxing.

I then slap on my gloves and away I go!

When I apply the relaxer, I always start at the thickest part of my hair ( my crown). I work my way outwards from there. The key is to make sure you hit every tail in your head. Last time around I relaxed I braided the hair above the clips. (I don't recommend that because it's hellish getting those out)

Some people will use a processing brush, some use the side of the comb. Its a matter of whatever you're comfortable with because I've used both and they both work just fine. If you're not used to using an application brush, just use the comb.

Because I'm kinda lazy I generally don't remove the clips during the application stage, I just smoosh the relaxer right into the ponytail while its still clipped. That means you may use more than you normally do, but, because the hair is clipped together, it also dosen't go to waste.

its not as hard as some people think; I never get relaxer on any of the previously relaxed hair. Could be all the planning or OCD but when you've done it enough I think the technique just gets better too.

But even if you do manage to get anything on the its neighbor, protecting your hair above the clip is the safety net.

When I smooth I will remove one clip at a time, then smooth the hair, then reapply the clip before going to the next one. This keeps the hair separated so I know what i've touched. You don't have to do it this way, but it works for me.

Again, with smoothing as when I apply, I start in the middle and work my way outwards toward the edges.

When I do the nape, its always dead last. I still section it off before hand. If I'm not touching the nape, I protect the hair back there very very well.

When I'm done processing I go wash it out. How I wash my relaxers can be a whole other thread:grin:

(Phyto heads can attest how hard it is to get white suds, so I use a little vinegar/water solution to neutralize before washing. that will work with any relaxer though.)

It takes me roughly 8 minutes to apply relaxer with the exception of the nape. When I do the nape, add an extra 2 minutes. I usually do my nape every other touchup, and the nape gets done only in the last 10 minutes of my smoothing time.

How you approach using this method will depend on how well you know your hair and how well you prep beforehand.

I visualize my head like a little map, with these squares on top. I just more or less plan which square I'm going to go to next.

I do advocate practice with a cheapie con regardless of what method a person wants to use. I've tried two methods here (don'tspeakdefeat's and southerngirl's) and they do work very well. How I do it its just another spin on applying the darn thing without going crazy.

I don't have a pictorial tutorial (sorry)

I may have some typos in here so I'll apologize before hand. (its supposed to be a work day;) )

-A

wheezy807 said:
Congratz EHP,
please share what products did you use? What did you relax, neutralize, shampoo and deep condition with? Inquiring pj wants to know! Any pics?

I used ORS no-lye. My hair is kinky & coarse and usually I wind up under processed no matter what relaxer I use. This is okay because my hair gets weaker the straighter it gets. If you look closely at my pictures your can see where I experimented with smoothing my tips as back in November after my first relaxer.

ORS gives you a packet of neutralizer in the box that I use. I am a neutralizer freak so I always shampoo 2x , let it sit for 10-15 minutes then shampoo 2x more. After I have used up the packet, I switch grab the bottle of Silk Elements neutralizer shampoo I have.

I used Suave Humectress conditioner after rinsing out the relaxer. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then rinse and neutralized. I had applied Lekair cholesterol (salmon colored) mixed with Keraphix to my hair. I then cover my head with a plastic cap and then a bonnet and went to bed. These are both protien conditioners but my hair is always soft and strong after I use them together. The next morning I rinsed out the protien conditioner mix and let my hair air dry almost completely. I then sprayed on a thermal spray. I blow dried using the cool shot button on high speed and combed with my fingers to "straighten". Then I parted my hair down the middle and clamped up using three large clamps. Starting in the back I pulled down a thin row of hair with my fingers applied a little more thermal spray and pressing oil then pulled my ceramic flat ironed straight down my hair. I made 2 passes over my hair. About 1.5 hours later I was done and my shoulders were hurting. At night I smooth a little NTM Silk down the strand. Next, I cross wrap then clamp both sides with a duck bill clamp and cover with a satin or polyester or silk scarf(whichever I find first). Then I gently pull out the duck bill clamps and cover with a bonnet and go to bed.

SvelteVelvet

Thanks! This is an excellent tutorial. I feel confident now about not going to the salon at all and being a full DIY. Can't wait to try this!

nadz

Arcadian, this tutorial was excellent!
I will definitely try this for my next touch up! :yep:

Thanks

sherann

I think I am going to try this method too. I might give it a trial run with some conditioner when I start getting more newgrowth

If anyone does a trial run of this technique, can you please post a pic of the sections you made and how you clipped them? I would like to try this method for my next relaxer.

I tried it three more times all with success. The technique is fine but the chemicals were the problem. IMHO, the ORS cannot touch the Mizani Butter Blend. My hair seemed dull and lifeless with the beauty store relaxers. The other problem was my hair had grown a little longer and my arms were get tired trying to relax and the result was breakage.

Here is my fotki page. I haven't updated in a while:

http://members.fotki.com/ebonyhairedprincess/

Mz.Shug

Thankyou for responding. Your hair is gorgeous!I'll be trying this method on Sat. (1st time self-relaxing)so please to be surprised if I PM you with questions!:grin:

Sorry PW ehphair.

I will do my best to help but I started going to a stylist a year ago but I will do my best. Make sure you check out Arcadian's tutorial it is really helpful.

complexsimplicity

I'm going to try this method next touch up. I did the 1/2 method but I got some of my scalp wet and I started burning while applying the second half. I want to get it down in one shot. I hate going to the salon. It's just so draining and I can't be completely comfortable like I am in my own home. I want to become a complete DIY. Thanks for bumping this thread!

Mz.Shug

I'm going to try this method next touch up. I did the 1/2 method but I got some of my scalp wet and I started burning while applying the second half. I want to get it down in one shot. I hate going to the salon. It's just so draining and I can't be completely comfortable like I am in my own home. I want to become a complete DIY. Thanks for bumping this thread!

That's my theme/goal for this summer.I want to learn everything from trimming,to styling,relaxing, and getting my swang on WITHOUT having to pay 100 plus dollars only to wash my hair 3days later and not know how to get it back.:wallbash: Sorry..venting..