hydrolyzed wheat protien

preciousjewel76

Wheat protein is fine to use on most hair. The type of protein in the "hardcore" protein reconstructors is KERATIN protein. The information below is from another thread. It was so useful, that I copied it and made it an entry in my LHCF journal. Here's the original thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114629

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Proteins --
known for increasing elasticity in the hair.

Silk Proteins -- known for softening the hair.

Wheat Proteins -- a moisturizing and strengthening protein. Known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture.

Keratin Protein -- responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product) proteins and is actually the one hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient:

*a) Keratin protein -- the will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin -- This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lost due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft (than animal protein) and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coats the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein -- Natural Silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy.

The Keratin is some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like KeraCare Humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance.

sareca

I copied it into my fokti too! Wheat protein is light enough to be used in leave-in or rinse-off applications. I use it all the time. :yep: I think it was originally written by supergirl.

newflowers

This is very interesting. I'm sorry I missed this thread about the different types of proteins the first time around. I am getting ready to end the C&G, and am still learning about using proteins correctly.

Are there some specific conditioners suggested for each type of protein? Is it okat to stick with one or two of the milder ones and use those with greater frequency? For instance, I have purchased silk peptide (powder), silk amino acids, cotton, wheat, and collagen in preparation of doing a two week intensive conditioning period before relaxing next month. I plan to mix these in pure aloe juice. I've used the mayo/egg blend before with good effects - is that animal protein or it's keratin?

Looking at the conditioners I've purchased, I have mostly moisture with a smidge of proteins mixed in (very low on thelist of ingredients).

What suggestions do you have for me to fix this inbalance I have in my hair products?

ETA - can I always use only the milder preteins and never need the heavier ones?

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

IMO, it's fine to use conditioners that have silk, wheat, or collagen protein frequently. These proteins add elasticity to the hair, and help it maintain moisture. The only one I wouldn't overdo is keratin protein, as that can make the hair brittle if used too often. Most conditioners contain some proportion of silk/wheat/collagen, and if it's far down on the list of ingredients, you aren't getting a lot of it anyway.

Also, the mayo/egg protein would likely be considered animal/vegetable proteins or collagen. These are probably OK to use on your hair every week or so. Ultimately, though, it depends on your hair type. My hair loves all types of protein (esp. silk and collagen), but everyone's hair is different. Make sure you read the ingredients of whatever you're using and note the type and relative concentration of protein, and proceed accordingly.

newflowers said:
This is very interesting. I'm sorry I missed this thread about the different types of proteins the first time around. I am getting ready to end the C&G, and am still learning about using proteins correctly.

Are there some specific conditioners suggested for each type of protein? Is it okat to stick with one or two of the milder ones and use those with greater frequency? For instance, I have purchased silk peptide (powder), silk amino acids, cotton, wheat, and collagen in preparation of doing a two week intensive conditioning period before relaxing next month. I plan to mix these in pure aloe juice. I've used the mayo/egg blend before with good effects - is that animal protein or it's keratin?

Looking at the conditioners I've purchased, I have mostly moisture with a smidge of proteins mixed in (very low on thelist of ingredients).

What suggestions do you have for me to fix this inbalance I have in my hair products?

newflowers

Thanks - I've learned a lot about hair and its care in the last few months. My big exam is coming up - the test of if I can keep growing hair and keep it on my head while not wearing these braids.

ETA - Can I always use the milder proteins with positive effect without ever using the heavier ones? Even after relaxing?

Last edited: