Relaxer Bases

LadyCee

Ok guys here another one...When I usually get my done I dont use a base but now I am hearing about always applying a base to your har b4 a relaxer to protect it. What base are you girls using? Where can I find it and or buy it in a store or even online. What has it done for ur hair rather den just applying the relaxer w/o a base.

God Bless.

tnorenberg

EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive oil). You can pick it up at any grocery store. I use Silk Elements Lye which usually doesn't burn. I only base when I have to relax too close to a recent wash day or if I have been scratching or manipulating my scalp prior to relaxing.

Artemis

I use Pro-Styl pre-creme base for sensitive skin (it's orangy colored). I have sensitive skin so I always base and base and base before a relaxer. When I was a kid, my aunt (and pros too!) would only base the hairline, and I'd end up w/hair burned into my scalp afterwards :mad:

I also put base on the already relaxed hair to prevent overlapping, since I self-relax.

LadyCee

sp do u use pro style relaxer as well or can u use tat specific base and stll have another relaxer i.e ORS relaxer no lye plz relply thnx

[

quote=artemis_e.]I use Pro-Styl pre-creme base for sensitive skin (it's orangy colored). I have sensitive skin so I always base and base and base before a relaxer. When I was a kid, my aunt (and pros too!) would only base the hairline, and I'd end up w/hair burned into my scalp afterwards :mad:

I also put base on the already relaxed hair to prevent overlapping, since I self-relax.[/quote]

Artemis

No you don't have to stick with brands. I used to use Motions relaxer, and now I use Mizani. I neutralize w/Motions too.

pmichael52172

I use the good ole' trusty Pro-Styl too. It's cheap and you get a lot in it. Back in the day, I use to use plain ole' vaseline or petroleum jelly with no problem and that was with different relaxers.

Today I use Design Essentials relaxer and I've always just used any neutralizing shampoo. I've never felt I needed to get one in the same line as my relaxer (although I will when I run out of what I use now). Now I use some generic neutralizer but it has the same indgredients so it's fine.

C

chica_canella

great question. Is Pro-style thick and orange like a beeswax grease? Is this what you all are talking about.

C

chica_canella

artemis_e. said:
yep, that's it.

So i guess you really have to put in on the scalp and not the hair because it might prevent it from being relaxed if it gets on your new growth?

Artemis

chica_canella said:
So i guess you really have to put in on the scalp and not the hair because it might prevent it from being relaxed if it gets on your new growth?

Yeah, that's the issue I deal w/when self-relaxing...It can slow down processing time.

This is what I do (I call it "super-basing"):
-Part hair in 4 sections
-Apply a dime sized amount of Chi Silk Infusion to each section, massaging into roots and ends
-Base hairline and nape
-Part each of the 4 sections and base scalp (and the cross-part, too)
-To areas that need more caution when relaxing (for me, this is my nape, my sides, and my crown) I slather the base on the already relaxed hair.
-Clip up all sections except for the one I want to start relaxing.

Sometimes, if I know I scratched a whole lot, I base the night before, then base again, but I haven't done this in a while.

It's a lot, but I'm not a fan of melted hair pouring down my drain, so I take precautions.

HTH

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I use Pro-Styl pre-creme base for sensitive skin (it's orangy colored). I have sensitive skin so I always base and base and base before a relaxer. When I was a kid, my aunt (and pros too!) would only base the hairline, and I'd end up w/hair burned into my scalp afterwards :mad:

I also put base on the already relaxed hair to prevent overlapping, since I self-relax.

This is what I have also.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Vaseline was the main base, but I also put conditioner on my hair. I use Silk Element's no lye and it does not burn at all. My hair is thriving and I'm working hard to keep it that way.:yep:

SmilingElephant

Hawaiian Silky Pre Creme Base is what i use!! :yep:

It comes in a large applicator bottle and it gives a slight tingle to the scalp...i got mine at the BSS. It's like a greenish color....thats the only thing i trust for no burns and no stinging whatsoever!

Heavenly

I use vaseline.

And I base my entire scalp... making sure the partitions are about 1/4 inch apart from each other. I do my perimeter, ears and on my neck. I also drench my hair in olive oil.

A lot of work for only texlaxing, but it saves my scalp.

RelaxednNapulous

I use Summit Sensitive Scalp for Base:grin:.

I searched high and low for this before finding it on Sally's website (but not in stores). Felt ridiculous buying 4 lbs, but half of it melted all over the rest of my order and they gave me a refund.

I picked this up from the stylist in NY who nursed my hair back to health after a BC she did that miraculously worked with my tri-colored, over-processed hair.

Replied to share her technique, which I still use. I put the base into a color applicator bottle and melt it in hot water (I use a Big Gulp or similar cup for height). It's easier to apply and feels like getting a hot oil treatment with my relaxer!

Last edited:

RelaxednNapulous

My pleasure, most of my reggie is from her. She really gets the science behind techniques and products, yet makes it simple for her clients to follow.

OhmyKimB

I just use the Shea vaseline from Walgreens and mix cortizone into it and then "grease" my scalp with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App