Grow, then cut...or cut then grow? WWYD

Cut n grow...or grow then cut.

• Total voters

*Michelle*

Did/will you grow to your desired length and then trim/cut?? Or do you trim/dust as you go??

I haven't trimmed since mid Feb and it is KILLING me!!! I'm also thinking of evening up some of my bottom layers...but can't decide if I wanna wait til BSL (whenever that is) or cut 2 inches now...I'm, strongly, leaning towards cut 2 inches now.

So WWYD or have you done?

Last edited:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[SIZE=+1] I say cut it now.....Cause once you get to BSL......you're not going to want to cut it. Cutting it now....will alleviate worrying about it later.[/SIZE]

Pixel Lady said:
Did/will you grow to your desired length and then trim/cut?? Or do you trim/dust as you go??

I haven't trimmed since mid Feb and it is KILLING me!!! I'm also thinking of evening up some of my bottom layers...but can't decide if I wanna wait til BSL (whenever that is) or cut 2 inches now...I'm, strongly, leaning towards cut 2 inches now.

So WWYD or have you done?

ubavka123

I am in the cut then grow camp. I like the idea of getting to my goal with healthy hair and being able to STAY at my goal, as opposed to getting to my goal for a split second and then--SNIP! As the above poster said, that will be hard to do. Of course this only applies if the cut is needed. Plus, if the ends are nagging you, it will make you feel much better. Good luck in your decision.

bablou00

Im so on the fence about this. I like yourself need to get rid of some crappy ends. I think I took a wrong turn w/ Bigen and using my maxiglide 3x's last month...anyhoo I fear that I will not reach my desired length if I start cutting now. I might wait it out till July because Im getting cornrows in June. If my hair is not feeling some what healthy then off w/ those ends:( If you take care of your hair holding on to those ends till u get where you want is not bad but if your letting it all hang out and making it worse then let them go. I will baby for a month or two then if I dont see any progress......I dont even want to think about it :eek:

deontaer

I was on the grow the cut path, but I've changed my thinking. After I take my conrows out, I know that I'm going to cut atleast and inch off - then put the conrows back in and repeat the cycle for the entire summer. My hair seems to grows super fast in conrows/braids, so the trims won't seem so traumatic because I know I've gained more growth than I'm cutting.

Kimberly

I'd say I'm probably more into the grow then trim. My hair is up all the time and no one is looking at my ends, anyway. When I get close to BSL, that's when I will start dusting my ends as I start wearing my hair down/out more often, I'm sure. I'll be happy to maintain it at BSL for a while. I don't have any split ends at all. If I did, that would be different. But I'll dust then as it continues to grow to get it to even out some.

growinstrong

I'm in the same boat and was wondering for the life of me what to do. I get a relaxer this Saturday and my ends look raggedy, but not split. I was going to wait until after the relaxer to see what they look like becuase you know your hair grows differently in different places. So, it may not look that bad after the relaxer. Anyway, when I think about my final decision, I go back to think of ladies such as Candy_C who did not cut her hair on her journey and I think I can do the same. And you gotta think, hair does not grow evenly, your're always gonna have some uneven ends as the hair grows. So, I say just grow it and then cut it, unless you see split ends. HTH

shynessqueen

I'm cut and grow but i wouldn't tell people to cut off their hair unless they ask and really should to me.

When my hair was falling out because of my pregnancy, I cut it off to a inch. I don't think people should always listen to me when i tell them to cut their hair because cutting off my hair is not a big deal to me. To them it may be a big deal.

bLackButtaFly

I'm a grow then cutter, however I don't wait crazy amounts of time b4 dusting. Usually I'll dust every other month just on my own, but I only get a professional trim about twice a year, to get a good shape. But I'm also natural, so having uneven ends is not that big of a deal.

Arcadian

If its because of splits or heat damage, I'd do a dusting before doing a full cut.

If its because you like blunt hair.....

I would say no unless you know 100% thats really want you want.

Think of it like this: if you cut 2 inches of hair and its because you want a style and not because of damage, thats like cutting 2 inches of progress. Depending on what your goal is and how much your hair grows, that can mean at least another 3-4 months of work for you toward your goal.

in hair and in coitus, every inch counts:look:

Once you cut, you can't go back, so be REALLY sure!

-A

***Toy-Pisces***

I already did one major cut but I still have some ends to get rid of. I will only be dusting along the way.When my hair is a little below APL then I will be cutting.

Creatividual

I am going to grow my hair a couple inches past BSL when I achieve it in the fall of next year and then get my ends freshly cut to BSL and some long layers put in too maybe. My ends aren't really that bad b/c I try to manipulate my hair as little as possible.

CAPlush

I say go ahead and grow your hair, then cut it, unless you can identify sections of actual damage (not just uneven sections).You are so close now, I would think you'd only have to wait a few months to trim at BSL.

I cut my hair first because the entire thing was damaged. There was still some damaged areas after I cut it, but I won't be cutting again until I reach my BSL goal.

BillyJay

My motto would be "cut then grow". What can happen is that the damaged ends can creep up your hairshaft.

I did about 3 big chops before I could really grow it out. There was so much damage I couldnt deal with at the ends.

dillard

Arcadian said:

:lachen: girl, you have me busting out laughing here at work!!! :lachen:

anyway, i also say it depends on if it's because of damage or just aesthetics. it's always best to cut damaged ends off imo. personally, I had a big cut and then i'm gonna let it grow without trimming unless i see damaged ends. i'm not big on having blunt ends, that would be pretty but my hair is so extremely layered that if i kept trimming for all parts to catch up, i'd reach my goal somewhere in 2012.... SO, i'm gonna let it do it's thing.

Lavendar

As you can tell by my siggy, I did the grow then cut. But I really feel like I didn't have a choice. I started with a lot of highlighted hair so there was no way I could have started bald...well I guess I could, but didn't want to.:) My hair was double-processed...relaxed and highlighted....which I maintained successfully for a few years, but eventually the double processing took its toll on my hair. I cut about six inches off, which I hoped would take off the last of that hair, but there still may be a little left. I can't tell now since I henna and the really bad frizzy, thin, jacked up ends are now gone. The new condition and thickness of my hair is amazing since I cut. I do feel it's less traumatic to cut off a couple of inches every few months or so than to do a big cut at one time, but since I grew my hair out in what I feel was really a short period of time, I felt confident enough that a big cut was for the best and I know my hair will continue to grow at a good rate. I was not confident enough with my hair growth earlier on in my journey to cut a couple of inches here and there, but I feel that really would have been best. I do know that had I not cut, with my hair as fine as it is, 6 months from now I would not have reached my goals and my hair would probably be jacked up from breaking up the hairshaft. I really suspect I would have had to go back to neck length and start over because I would have had too may short hairs sticking out all over my head, mixed in with the long ones. I know my hair, and that was enough for me to make the sacrifice. And one more thing for we ladies to meditate on, if you started your journey with jacked up, especially highlighted and/or overprocessed, damaged hair, you eventually will have to get rid of that hair if you expect to have a healthy head of hair. All the damage moves down the hair shaft and gets closer to your ends. When the last of it reaches the ends, it starts causing big issues....at least that's what happened with mine. Combine that with using some products that your hair decides it doesn't like and you could have a major setback on your hands. Once hair is damaged and the cuticle is removed, you can't get that cuticle back. You can keep trying to fill it in with different proteins and this and that, but once so many layers are removed by heat, chemicals, and friction (I think there are 10 total), that hair is doomed....it's gotta go, eventually it's gotta go. You gotta put health before length....I know it's hard to do because this is the LONG hair care forum and not the HEALTHY hair care forum, but the truth will set you free.....and give you long hair in the end!;)

sareca

Some people can live with them. They depress me; they had to go. So at my first milestone (the end of my 1 yr stretch) I chopped 'em. I miss my length sometimes, but I'm glad I chopped. I LoVe to think from now on everything I grow I keep. I don't have any big chops looming in the future. It's over and behind me now.

ETA: Another reminding of how bad it was and that I'm almost back (sans the scragglies).

Last edited:

*Michelle*

Well, I'm "considering" cutting 1) because I'm bored 2) because I do have LOTS of layers and am thinking about getting rid of some to make the bottom fuller...I will NOT be getting rid of all layers...LOVE them 3) My hair is uneven because I cut it myself and at this length it is virtually impossible for me to cut it even myself...and I'm not tryin' to choke a stylist right now.

I am NOT considering cutting because my ends are damaged/split. Sorry I didn't make this clear!

After sleeping on this question last night, I have now implemented a new rule in my regimen. I'll call it the seven day rule...after 7 days if I feel the same I will do it (my boredom usually only last a couple of days).

Thanks for all the input, ladies!!

*Michelle*

shynessqueen said:
I'm cut and grow but i wouldn't tell people to cut off their hair unless they ask and really should to me.

When my hair was falling out because of my pregnancy, I cut it off to a inch. I don't think people should always listen to me when i tell them to cut their hair because cutting off my hair is not a big deal to me. To them it may be a big deal.

THIS is my problem...I will cut my hair in a New York minute! I'm surprised I have any length...I love to have the latest greatest bangin' style and color!!! But now I am REALLY, REALLY trying to grow some long hair...I'm trying real hard.

*Michelle*

Arcadian said:
If its because of splits or heat damage, I'd do a dusting before doing a full cut.

If its because you like blunt hair.....

I would say no unless you know 100% thats really want you want.

Think of it like this: if you cut 2 inches of hair and its because you want a style and not because of damage, thats like cutting 2 inches of progress. Depending on what your goal is and how much your hair grows, that can mean at least another 3-4 months of work for you toward your goal.

Once you cut, you can't go back, so be REALLY sure!

-A

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: YOU are SO crackin' me up!!!

But your really did hit the nail on the head! I'm thinking maybe I want a more blunt look on the bottom...even though I RARELY wear my hair down in a bone straight style. I think I should wait too. See my other post for reasons.

*Michelle*

vivacious1083 said:
I am going to grow my hair a couple inches past BSL when I achieve it in the fall of next year and then get my ends freshly cut to BSL and some long layers put in too maybe. My ends aren't really that bad b/c I try to manipulate my hair as little as possible.

I think this is what I'm going to do. LOVE long layers! I just think with fine and eventually long I will need LESS layers...maybe just the bottom three inches instead of bottom six inches. Does this make sense?

*Michelle*

sareca said:
Some people can live with them. They depress me; they had to go. So at my first milestone (the end of my 1 yr stretch) I chopped 'em. I miss my length sometimes, but I'm glad I chopped. I LoVe to think from now on everything I grow I keep. I don't have any big chops looming in the future. It's over and behind me now.

ETA: Another reminding of how bad it was and that I'm almost back (sans the scragglies).

Hey Sareca! Thanks for all the pix...I love your new haircut! As always you bring some good points! I thought we had a similar texture but after looking at a lot of these pix maybe not. I'm gonna check out your album later and really look!

chayil0427

I was in the cut then grow camp, but it seemed like I was doing more cutting than growing. So now I'm growing for a year with no cutting to see how it goes. So far my hair has nevery looked better. The ends are nice and healthy. Next year I'll trim about an inch. I think I'm retaining more length by not snipping a little at a time cause all that lil at at time was adding up.

Chayil

Lavendar

Pixel Lady said:
Well, I'm "considering" cutting 1) because I'm bored 2) because I do have LOTS of layers and am thinking about getting rid of some to make the bottom fuller...I will NOT be getting rid of all layers...LOVE them 3) My hair is uneven because I cut it myself and at this length it is virtually impossible for me to cut it even myself...and I'm not tryin' to choke a stylist right now.

I am NOT considering cutting because my ends are damaged/split. Sorry I didn't make this clear!

After sleeping on this question last night, I have now implemented a new rule in my regimen. I'll call it the seven day rule...after 7 days if I feel the same I will do it (my boredom usually only last a couple of days).

Thanks for all the input, ladies!!

OH! Okay...so you got me going off on a tangent for nothing, and you should know how I can be by now. Typing 100+wpm has its advantages and disadvantages.:lol: I say definitely don't cut if you are trying to grow long hair and have no damage. You are just setting back your progress for no reason. You gotta take deep cleansing breaths through the "I need a new style" phase and focus on your goals.";)

shunta

If it were me, Id wait. I was in the same boat and then I decided to trim. Im really regretting cuz I probably would have made BSL by Aug:(

sareca

Pixel Lady said:
I think this is what I'm going to do. LOVE long layers! I just think with fine and eventually long I will need LESS layers...maybe just the bottom three inches instead of bottom six inches. Does this make sense?

That makes sense. That's what I want too and like vivacious I'm waiting until BSL or a little past before I cut it.

Divine Inspiration

I grew mine out past brastrap, and now I'm cutting it to maintain it and thicken it. My ends aren't damaged...they're just thinner than my texlaxed hair because they're bone straight. I have about 2 more inches to go so by the end of the year, all of those ends will be gone, but I'll still have hair that's just past BSL.

C

chica_canella

I think I am a grow then cut after reading Cathy Howse's suggestions on her site.