Correctives support thread

gymfreak336

In light of all the recent posts about being underprocessed and correctives and what not, I thought we should start a thread to help address the issues with doing a corrective relaxer. I just did my own recently and hopefully with some feedback from others who have done the same thing, we can make a comprehensive thread to help everyone.

So for starters, try to figure out why you are underprocessed. Did you not use enough relaxer the last time, did you not process for the complete time, did you have something on your hair that could slow down the relaxing process? Some ladies have had issues after using sulphur based oil products so I don't recommend you relax your hair if you have these products on it. Did you do everything above correctly and still get underprocessed? Maybe it could be the formula. I know I underprocessed myself the last time because for starters, I didn't take into account that I was using a mild formula and I didn't process for the complete time. I cut it short by 3-4 minutes but that can really make all the difference.

The next thing you should do is identify the areas that are the worst. Those areas are going to be the one that when doing your corrective you will start with first and those areas are going to need extra attention from now on. Moisturize these areas daily, comb them with are and with a wide tooth comb or your fingers, make sure they get a good amount of conditioner when you deep condition. I have found that the most important thing when dealing with underprocessed hair is maintaining your moisture levels. It is much easier to get manipulate breakage when you have different textures on your hair and keeping you moisture levels up will help decrease that. With having different textures also comes having managability issues since the cuticle isn't going as smooth and consistent. This is where checking your porosity comes into place. Things like acv rinses, acidifying conditioner and my personal favorite, porosity control help smooth the cuticle and makes your hair easier to manage. Just smoothing a little porosity control through my hair just for a minute before conditioning made a HUGE difference. You will need to take extra time when you wash your hair to detangle properly so shampoo only when you have the time. Use your favorite creamy leave-ins on your really underprocessed parts to help provide lubrication when rolling or wet setting. I used sunsilk 24/7 creme in the pink bottle and giovanni direct. As far as protein treatments go, I do recommend you fit one in before you try a corrective but I wouldn't use a heavy duty one because the stiffness combined with a lot of underprocessed hair can be a monster to get through. Lighter ones before your moisture treatments work well. Motions silk protien, aphogee 2 mins reconstructor, aubreys gpb, etc... all of these work well.

Okay, I am deep conditioning and mositurizing like crazy, when can I try to fix it?

Wait atleast 6 weeks but longer if you can. It helped to have a little newgrowth when you do a corrective because what you will do it apply your relaxer as normal but when you start the smoothing process, you will pull it through your underprocessed parts. That is the secret to not over process your hair. Many times when people do a corrective, they overprocess it because they leave it on the full 15-20 mins. If you have newgrowth, it will buy you the time to just pull it through the last 7 or so minutes. That is also why it is important to start relaxing the most underprocessed areas. For example. Lets say you split yuor hair into 4 sections with section 1 being the worst and so one. Start relaxing in section one. Then after you apply the relaxer to your whole head, go back to section one and smooth outward. By doing it this way you make sure the worst sections get the more time than the not so bad sections so you don't overcook half you head. You don't want to end up with half of your head properly processed and then the other half over done. I also applied more base to the areas that weren't as bad to buy me a little more time in the processing.

Okay, your turn.

trulyurangel82

gymfreak336 said:
In light of all the recent posts about being underprocessed and correctives and what not, I thought we should start a thread to help address the issues with doing a corrective relaxer. I just did my own recently and hopefully with some feedback from others who have done the same thing, we can make a comprehensive thread to help everyone.

So for starters, try to figure out why you are underprocessed. Did you not use enough relaxer the last time, did you not process for the complete time, did you have something on your hair that could slow down the relaxing process? Some ladies have had issues after using sulphur based oil products so I don't recommend you relax your hair if you have these products on it. Did you do everything above correctly and still get underprocessed? Maybe it could be the formula. I know I underprocessed myself the last time because for starters, I didn't take into account that I was using a mild formula and I didn't process for the complete time. I cut it short by 3-4 minutes but that can really make all the difference.

The next thing you should do is identify the areas that are the worst. Those areas are going to be the one that when doing your corrective you will start with first and those areas are going to need extra attention from now on. Moisturize these areas daily, comb them with are and with a wide tooth comb or your fingers, make sure they get a good amount of conditioner when you deep condition. I have found that the most important thing when dealing with underprocessed hair is maintaining your moisture levels. It is much easier to get manipulate breakage when you have different textures on your hair and keeping you moisture levels up will help decrease that. With having different textures also comes having managability issues since the cuticle isn't going as smooth and consistent. This is where checking your porosity comes into place. Things like acv rinses, acidifying conditioner and my personal favorite, porosity control help smooth the cuticle and makes your hair easier to manage. Just smoothing a little porosity control through my hair just for a minute before conditioning made a HUGE difference. You will need to take extra time when you wash your hair to detangle properly so shampoo only when you have the time. Use your favorite creamy leave-ins on your really underprocessed parts to help provide lubrication when rolling or wet setting. I used sunsilk 24/7 creme in the pink bottle and giovanni direct. As far as protein treatments go, I do recommend you fit one in before you try a corrective but I wouldn't use a heavy duty one because the stiffness combined with a lot of underprocessed hair can be a monster to get through. Lighter ones before your moisture treatments work well. Motions silk protien, aphogee 2 mins reconstructor, aubreys gpb, etc... all of these work well.

Okay, I am deep conditioning and mositurizing like crazy, when can I try to fix it?

Wait atleast 6 weeks but longer if you can. It helped to have a little newgrowth when you do a corrective because what you will do it apply your relaxer as normal but when you start the smoothing process, you will pull it through your underprocessed parts. That is the secret to not over process your hair. Many times when people do a corrective, they overprocess it because they leave it on the full 15-20 mins. If you have newgrowth, it will buy you the time to just pull it through the last 7 or so minutes. That is also why it is important to start relaxing the most underprocessed areas. For example. Lets say you split yuor hair into 4 sections with section 1 being the worst and so one. Start relaxing in section one. Then after you apply the relaxer to your whole head, go back to section one and smooth outward. By doing it this way you make sure the worst sections get the more time than the not so bad sections so you don't overcook half you head. You don't want to end up with half of your head properly processed and then the other half over done. I also applied more base to the areas that weren't as bad to buy me a little more time in the processing.

Okay, your turn.

I do my hair in halves to not overprocess but I think the problem was the stuff I put in my hair before relaxing to protect it.
I know some ladies on here said to put some conditioner on your hair to protect it before relaxing but it seems like when I did it the last 3 times ive relaxed my hair didnt take well and just got even more underprocessed:ohwell:. I even left it on for 18 minutes and it didnt come out right. I noticed it came out straighter the 2nd time i self relaxed months ago when I just used coconut oil in my hair before relaxing. odd. My hair is fine but Iguess its resistant.

Another problem I think I had was not putting enough sections in the back area. I definately recommend anyone to make sure you part real good in the back since its hard to see.

Im too scared to correct it because theres so many areas that have to be corrected so im going to a professional.

Once I get it back together again I might self relax again sometime in the future. Ill keep your pointers in mind.

Oh and I agree that moisture really has helped my underprocessed areas. Everyday I spray it with a spray bottle with water and seal it with coconut oil, kemi oyl or BT (boundless tresses). It helps a lot.
Also deep conditioning with gpb and giovanni direct leave in really smoothes it down.
I dont know what I would do without those products. My underprocessed hair used to be very very dry. Its soften up a little bit thanks to BT.

Last edited:

Southernbella.

This is a great post!

I did my corrective two weeks ago. The very first time sef-relaxed with lye (a little over a year ago), I was way underprocessed because I was scared.

As time went on, I got my processing time just right, but I still had that one area that was brillowy. After a year of growth, the severely underprocessed part was right in the middle of each strand. When I did my rollersets, I had to flat iron that part just to get it smooth.

I didn't really do much extra to the area because for some reason, I didn't have a lot of breakage. I deep-conditioned regularly, but that was it.

Anyway, two weeks ago, I did a corrective. I didn't relax my newgrowth because I'm on a 6 month stretch, so it was pretty easy because I could focus all my attention on the corrective. I applied Chi Silk infusion to the part I was correcting, then applied conditioner to the rest of the hair. I did it in four sections.

I'm so glad I did a search on correctives before I did this. I was thinking I would be processing for the regular amount of time, but someone posted that you are actually, in essence, picking up where you left off. So, I applied the relaxer to each section and processed for about 6 minutes. It was really easy to see where the underprocessed part began and ended since it had been over a year.

I deep conditioned as usual and had no problems whatsoever. I'm so happy with my hair now!:D It's still texlaxed, but it's not all dry and frizzy like the underprocessed part.

My advice is...the longer you can wait between processes, the better. I also think the Chi made a difference. I also agree with Gym about moisture, moisture, moisture.

sareca

lauren450 said:
This is a great post!

I did my corrective two weeks ago. The very first time sef-relaxed with lye (a little over a year ago), I was way underprocessed because I was scared.

As time went on, I got my processing time just right, but I still had that one area that was brillowy. After a year of growth, the severely underprocessed part was right in the middle of each strand. When I did my rollersets, I had to flat iron that part just to get it smooth.

I didn't really do much extra to the area because for some reason, I didn't have a lot of breakage. I deep-conditioned regularly, but that was it.

Anyway, two weeks ago, I did a corrective. I didn't relax my newgrowth because I'm on a 6 month stretch, so it was pretty easy because I could focus all my attention on the corrective. I applied Chi Silk infusion to the part I was correcting, then applied conditioner to the rest of the hair. I did it in four sections.

I'm so glad I did a search on correctives before I did this. I was thinking I would be processing for the regular amount of time, but someone posted that you are actually, in essence, picking up where you left off. So, I applied the relaxer to each section and processed for about 6 minutes. It was really easy to see where the underprocessed part began and ended since it had been over a year.

I deep conditioned as usual and had no problems whatsoever. I'm so happy with my hair now!:D It's still texlaxed, but it's not all dry and frizzy like the underprocessed part.

My advice is...the longer you can wait between processes, the better. I also think the Chi made a difference. I also agree with Gym about moisture, moisture, moisture.

Whoa! I never thought it that way, but it makes perfect sense!

My hair is straight at the roots (about 1-1 and a half inches) and the rest is texlaxed. This just happened Saturday and I was planning on waiting about 2 months to do a corrective.
Game Plan: :lol:
Coat bone strait roots with some sort of oil or vaseline careful not to get on the texlaxed parts. Then pre-part each section using a small rubberband to mark the diffrence (where I should start applying). I was going to start with the front half orf my head (assume I'm parting ear to ear) and then slather the relaxer being very generous and moving quickly. I was going to use a timer and keep the relaxer on for about 7 min. , rinse, neutralize, and then move on to the back section.

How does this sound??:look:

jade998

I am about to do a corrective in 22 days, and I am also switching from No lye (ORS) to Lye (ORS), and will just pass it through at the last 5 minutes of my relaxer. I would have gone 13 weeks, so I should have enough new growth to get a full touch up.

my hair is texlaxed, still do, but I feel at the moment I am 50% and I just want to go up to 80%.

Lady Esquire

This is a great post!

After a year of growth, the severely underprocessed part was right in the middle of each strand.

I applied Chi Silk infusion to the part I was correcting, then applied conditioner to the rest of the hair. I did it in four sections.

I have the same problem. In the middle of my strands, it is severely underprocessed. The stylists all chuck it to "damage" but my hair is in the best shape its ever been in. So I am so glad to have read this thread!

The Chi Silk is a great idea...I will try this.

kandegirl

This is a good thread.

Since I've been stretching my relaxer my hair texture is different all the way
down the strand. I may get a corrective relaxer the next time. I'm taking notes....

Lady Esquire

I was thinking I would be processing for the regular amount of time, but someone posted that you are actually, in essence, picking up where you left off. So, I applied the relaxer to each section and processed for about 6 minutes. It was really easy to see where the underprocessed part began and ended since it had been over a year.

I must of missed this point the first time I read this thread a few months ago. In mid-October, I will be done with my very first 6-month stretch. I am getting ready to do a corrective/touch-up, and this point that Lauren450 made, makes so sense! I'm glad I reread this.

AtlantaJJ

Okay, your turn.
Oh this is Excellent...just what I was looking for thank you!!!:goodpost:

AtlantaJJ

This is a great post!

So put the Chi Infusion on the underprocessed part of the hair and then conditioner on the part you don't want to process at all? I have hair in the middle of the shaft that is under processed as well, I don't want to process the ends.

Angelicus

This is a great post!I didn't relax my newgrowth because I'm on a 6 month stretch, so it was pretty easy because I could focus all my attention on the corrective.
I have the same problem that you had. Thank you for posting your solution. I will try this. Wish me luck.

Babydall818

I was wondering what a corrective was exactly...I think I get it now
but do you do it right after underprocessing or would you wait ... a week or whatever?

cocoagirl

For those that are correcting section in the middle of the hair length, are you applying relaxer then using a fine tooth comb to comb it thru? (not to the ends just to the actual section that needs correction)

goodmorningruby

BUMP BUMP BUMP!

I am confused about the reference to "pulling" the relaxer through the hair. I don't understand completely what this means. Exactly how do you "pull" it through the hair? I need to do a touch-up/corrective (basically to the whole head) in the near future and I would be too scared to apply the relaxer and comb it down the shaft of the hair, if this is what "pulling" means.

I was just planning on: 1) applying the perm on the NG 2) then 5-6 minutes before rinsing one half of the hair, apply (no "pulling") to the majority of the rest of the hair, save for the ends 3) apply protein treatment, wait 5-10 minutes, rinse, apply neutralizing shampoo 4) begin working on the second half of my head to repeat process and end up with a whole head of neutralizing shampoo suds. Of course prior I will base and coat the ends, add just a little bit of oil to the relaxer, etc. Is this okay or do I NEED to comb it through?

pookaloo83

BUMP BUMP BUMP!

I am confused about the reference to "pulling" the relaxer through the hair. I don't understand completely what this means. Exactly how do you "pull" it through the hair? I need to do a touch-up/corrective (basically to the whole head) in the near future and I would be too scared to apply the relaxer and comb it down the shaft of the hair, if this is what "pulling" means.

I was just planning on: 1) applying the perm on the NG 2) then 5-6 minutes before rinsing one half of the hair, apply (no "pulling") to the majority of the rest of the hair, save for the ends 3) apply protein treatment, wait 5-10 minutes, rinse, apply neutralizing shampoo 4) begin working on the second half of my head to repeat process and end up with a whole head of neutralizing shampoo suds. Of course prior I will base and coat the ends, add just a little bit of oil to the relaxer, etc. Is this okay or do I NEED to comb it through?

I pulled mines through with my hands. :yep: For like 3 mins. Came out just fine.