Black Hair Myth Busters

chayil0427

Hey ladies

I had a notion to post my top black hair myths. Feel free to add your favorite myths and/or comment on your opinions about mine.

1. Gel Grows Hair
2. Dirty Hair Grows/Relaxes better.
3.Weave Grows Hair
4. Trims make hair grow.
5. Grease grows hair.
6. Oil/grease=moisture
7. Black Hair grows more slowly than white/asian hair.
8. Relaxers will revert.
9. Thinking hair is not growing when actually it's breaking faster than it's growing.
10. Not realizing having new growth is hair that has grown and not a reverted relaxer. (Hair may not look longer because of #9)

Chayil

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I was just going to post a thread like this. My mom is a firm believer in numbers 4 and 5. Also, nothing can convince her (or some other people) that it is okay for black people to wash or wet their hair everyday.

Malice

As far as #2, it sure doesn't stunt growth. I know people who've grown long hair, whether they washed it every week or every 4 months, same with #5. Some people notice more strength and resilience in their hair, and some an acceleration (for them) in new growth. The only black hair myths I have is...

#1) If it works for me, it'll work for you.

#2)If it didn't work for me, it's a myth, and won't work for you. ;)

HoneyDew

Malice said:
As far as #2, it sure doesn't stunt growth. I know people who've grown long hair, whether they washed it every week or every 4 months, same with #5. Some people notice more strength and resilience in their hair, and some an acceleration (for them) in new growth. The only black hair myths I have is...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cneal

Malice said:

my thoughts exactly! [lol]

Christa438

chayil0427 said:
Hey ladies

I had a notion to post my top black hair myths. Feel free to add your favorite myths and/or comment on your opinions about mine.

1. Gel Grows Hair
2. Dirty Hair Grows/Relaxes better.
3.Weave Grows Hair
4. Trims make hair grow.
5. Grease grows hair.
6. Oil/grease=moisture
7. Black Hair grows more slowly than white/asian hair.
8. Relaxers will revert.
9. Thinking hair is not growing when actually it's breaking faster than it's growing.
10. Not realizing having new growth is hair that has grown and not a reverted relaxer. (Hair may not look longer because of #9)

Chayil

:lol: I used to believe all of 1-7 before LHCF!

BTW MrsHouston (I live in Houston,Tx myself) I had a cousin say to me the other day that she doesn't want her child to have nappy hair but good hair. I told her there is a strong possibility that the baby wont have "fine" silky smooth hair either (based on her and the father's hair types and the dominant hair type of both their families) and that good hair is any type, texture or length that is healthy & manageable. {I added length because a lot of people also think that longer hair automatically=better hair but that isn't true.} I think it is sad that people associate black people's hair with nappy/bad hair.

Last edited:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
I hear this one all the time still from our people's lips.

Your hair should only be relaxer every 6-8 weeks after that girl your is going to break off. My family hair grows longer when stretched 10-16 weeks.

nikkivale

Myth: Black people's hair just doesn't grow long.

Looking at LHCF should prove that wrong.

Myth: Pressing will 'train' you hair to be straight
train=burnt

crlsweetie912

If your relaxer doesn't burn, it's not "taking".

Black hair needs grease to grow.

Water is black hair's enemy.

Pink oil is the best thing since sliced bread. :nono:

Hair Peace

Myth: Black people aren't supposed to wash their hair more than every 2 weeks.

I CAN'T STAND when people say that to me but at the same time admire how much my hair has grown! I wash mine at least 2x a week and guess what...I'm not the only Black person that does it!

asubeauty

The point of a neutralizing shampoo is to wash the relaxer out. I had friend argue me down that she only need to shampoo once after a relaxer because she was using two different conditioners, so that should rinse out the relaxer. I finally gave up and let her burn her hair out.

You only need a deep conditioner if your hair is really damaged.

chayil0427

Good thoughts, yea I definately should have added washing your hair makes it dry. Since when has water ever made anything dry? I know it's time to wash my hair when it starts to feel dry.

Also the perm not taking if it's not burning, pink oil, and only mixed girls or girls with "indian in their family" can have long hair.

Chayil

sherann

Here's a good one: 4b hair ALWAYS needs a super relaxer applied every 5 weeks for as long as you can stand it or it will break (regardless of whether you have fine or thick strands).

LocksOfLuV

If your hair isn't straight, then it will break off (yes I know people who believe this).

New growth is the enemy so, if I see one crinkle or wave it is time to relax.:perplexed

Black people only have type 4 hair.

Some hairdressers have "growing hands" that will make your hair grow. Why not give the credit to your scalp?:confused:

You can sweat out your perm.

All type 4 hair, should use the same perm.

gymfreak336

You can wash a relaxer out if you want to go natural
"White" products do work on "black" hair
If you braid your hair tight, then you scalp with grow hair faster
If it doesn't come in a small can and smell like gasoline then it "aint a real moisturizer"

sareca

LocksOfLuV said:
Some hairdressers have "growing hands" that will make your hair grow. Why not give the credit to your scalp?:confused:

That one just goes through me!

CurliDiva said:
Most black girls with long hair are wearing WEAVES - their hair is short underneath.

That's the other one that gets me.

chayil0427

Good thoughts ladies. Fortunately, I didn't have most of the misconceptions. My own private study into black hair and working with my own hair had corrected many of these falacies even before I found the forum.

Yet, I've learned the truth about even more things since I've been here, and that's been a blessing.

I still get people telling me not to use "white products" and insisting trimming the hair will make it grow, but yet on the flip side the same people are telling me how nice my hair looks and how soft it feels. I can't wait till I get to APL at the first of next yet. Then they'll REALLY be wondering why those "white girl" products work so well for me, how I keep my hair moist and soft without grease, and how my hair flourishes even though I wash up to 3 times a week if needed. :grin:

Chayil