The best shampoo and DEEP conditioners for natural heads are?...

NantanYah

Hi everyone,

I'm a :newbie: to LHCF and I see most of you are pretty much veterans in the hair area so I'm hoping you all can help me out on this journey:) I am on the lookout for a great deep conditioner. I've been natural for a whole year and still haven't found one I really like. I've tried L'oreal Nature's Therapy, Matrix ultrahydrating balm, and Ors replenishing packs with subpar results. I want something I'm going to be happy with that softens and repairs damaged hair. For shampoo I've been doing the baking soda and warm water rinse, and it's okay I'd just really like a nice shampoo without cones and sulfates.

Oh, my hair is 4a/b, thick, coarse and dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated:)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Try adding some oil (I prefer coconut) to the conditioners that you already have, especially the matrix product.

If all else fails, my top 2 conditioners that I use for both regular and deep conditioning are Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Mask and Aura Cherry Bark.

My hair type is 4a/b

NantanYah

Tried the oils using olive oil AND jojoba oil. I'll try again using a little heat.I'm gonna try that NTM mask, though. I keep hearing about it. Any other suggestions (including shampoos:) )

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I LOVE Biolage Ultra Hydrating shampoo, but errrrrbody else on the board hates it. I use this for my regular washes.

If I have twists or braids in my hair, I use either Giovanni 50:50 or Jason Natural Sea Kelp. I find that using natural shampoos/cons makes taking down the twists/braids easier. I never use these if I'm just wearing my everyday puff, they are not moisturizing enough.

BTW - welcome to the board!

NantanYah

Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into those:) I love those twistts BTW. Lookin' great:) I'm loving LHCF so far. So many gorgeous heads of hair!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been natural for 22 months and haven't found a good deep conditioner either. I've primarily used LeKair Cholesterol Plus but I stopped wasting my money on it because in reality, it really never did anything to my hair. My hair felt and acted the same after rinsing it out, even with other conditioners I have used. So now, I just use Creme of Nature Conditioning Detangling Shampoo for Dry Hair to wash and detangle. It detangles better than anything I've ever used. I just recently bought Aussie Moist Conditioner and I love the smell and the slippage. I don't use it as a deep conditioner or a detangler...I use a little bit of it as a leave-in for my hair.
From my experiences, I just don't see the benefits of deep conditioning for my natural hair. The moisture, strength, and softness levels of my hair have always been great!

NantanYah

You have a point, Poohbear... Maybe my hair is healthy enough. That could be the reason why it's not responding to any of the deep treatments I've tried... or maybe I should just try some protein?.....:perplexed

Last edited:

lnana04

I really like Redkens All Soft shampoo and conditioner. They work better than anything I've ever tried, and I've tried it all.

angellazette

My favorite shampoo is Blended Beauty Soy Cream shampoo. Everything else dries my hair out and leaves it hard. Elucence is good for deep conditioning and I like the Queen Helene cholesterol. Lustrasilk is supposed to be really good too.

NantanYah

Which Elucense conditioner is this? I would like on that says I shouold leave it in for 30min to an hour. I've discovered that those are the ones that usually work best.

BrownSkin2

Hi NantanYah, welcome aboard. Your hair sounds like mine. I have natural 4a/b dry hair that is hard to moisturize. It's all about finding the right products to make it soft and managable. I like CON for dry hair, aveda sap moss shampoo, and abba moisture sensation. Those are very moisturizing. For conditioning and deep conditioning I like Nexxus humectress, and Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol. I recently bought Aveda deep revitalizer. I haven't used it enough to comment on it, but so far so good and I like how it the smell lingers.

GoldenBreeze

Welcome to lhcf, NantanYah. I don't use shampoo, so I can't help you on that. My favorite deep conditioners are UBH Cream, Miss Keys 10 en 1, and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol. My hair seems to like them all equally. My hair type is 3c,4a,4b medium.

camellia

Welcome!:)

My absolute favorite shampoo and deep conditioner are made by Alterna. Hemp Hydrate shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo is sulfate free and extremely gentle but it does an excellent job of cleansing the hair. The deep conditioner is creamy and rich. They both contain hemp seed oil (one of my favorites!:) ) but I add about a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of hemp seed oil to the conditioner.

The only problem I have with these products is the price. Alterna is really expensive, but they do the job every time.

Qetesh

I am 3c/4a natural and I use softsheen carsons breakthro shampoo. For deep conditioners I use Sarlem wheat germ, aussie moist 3 minute deep condish is great for a quick fix J. I don’t shampoo much but I have been eyeing those shampoo bars to try out next.

Jadacrys

I like Aubrey Organics Replenishing shampoo and condish and Kenra moisturizing shampoo and condish. Both COs double as deep conditioners. They are both gentle to my hair and perform very well.

NantanYah

All these suggestions are going to turn me into an even bigger PJ:D I love trying new products! That shea butter cholesterol must be pretty good so I'm definitely going to look into those.

Thank you guys for all your welcomes:dance7: and I'm going to try most of the stuff listed, that I haven't already tried:)

ScandalousBeauty

I really want to try the Oyin sample pack, I hear great things about it from other naturals. But I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it! With that being said, I Love Aveda Sap Moss Conditioner and Shampoo, I can run my hands straight through my hair when I use it, and my hair feels and looks so nourished! I also like the Redken All Soft Conditioner, I leave it in my hair over night sometimes. I haven't tried the shampoo yet. I want to incorporate the Aveda damage ready line into my regimine to keep my hair from breaking.