Who has went from Fine to Thick hair.....

Tranquility

Has anyone gone from having fine/thin hair to thick? I have fine hair and it drives me nuts. Right now I am more focused on thickening up my hair so it is fuller rather than looking so thin. Any suggestions on what to do or how you went from thin to a fuller head of hair?

newflowers

I would also like to know who has gone from fine to thick hair. Is this possible? Can an increase in protein (ingested not applied) make a difference? Are there specific vitamins that have helped increased the actual circumference of the hair shaft?

Looking at photos, I see hair that looked thin and, after a year or more, is now shiny, thick (looking). Is this thicker hair or just hair in better health so it looks thicker?

Thanks.

thiccknlong

Newflowers and danip:

Certainly. This is what I've read others have done, and things that has helped me....
  1. Clip bad ends. They will never improve. But, they WILL split up the hair shaft and damage the rest of your hair. Clip them off so you can "save" the other hair above them. BUT only clip off the bad ends. Don't clip anymore than necessary.
  2. Conditioner washes - Placing conditioner from roots (this is important, keep reading) to tips, on DRY hair B4 shampooing, using a plastic cap and going under the dryer. Afterwards, "wash" your hair with the conditioner that's in your hair (this is why conditioner is placed on roots also). Your hair tangles less, is softer, which all means less hair in your comb. :)
  3. Get a detangling, Moisterizing shampoo. Some people even add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil ) to theres.
  4. Get a good protein/reconstructor. This is a balancing act. Protein gives your hair strength from breakage. Use a lighter protein (more frequently) or heavier protein (less frequently). The KEY is to find one that strengthens your hair AND to use it to in the right frequency for YOUR hair. Some people need a heavy protein every 6 weeks. Some only once every 3 mos. Some use a light protein every week. Some use a moderate protein once a month or when needed. Find the product and frequency that works best for your hair.
  5. Find a very moisterizing, moisterizing conditioner. Use it EVERY time you wash your hair. With a plastic cap and go under the dryer. Moisterize with a water based conditioner. Follow with an oil based moisterizer (ie. olive oil ) to seal in the moister. Moister, moister, moister, moister. There is no option to skip this step.
  6. Use a milder relaxer and/or try to stretch relaxers. This is another balancing act. You must be careful to not do it such that breakage occurs. I know I can not DRAMATICALLY " stretch" relaxers without my hair being so underprocessed it will be a tangled, yarn ball all the time. So, to thicken my hair, I use a milder relaxer AND I "strech" an extra 1 or 2 weeks by keeping my hair in a bun during that time. It doesnt get matted because I have it so full of moisterizing cream, its soft as a baby's bottom. I do NOT wash my hair during my extra week or two of "stretching " . Your hair may can withstand it. But, my hair balls up in tanglings when it see's water, so I just keep it in a bun for the extra 1 or 2 weeks of stretching. My hair is soooooooo much thick, lawd ! Now, it's not as straigtht, but who cares ? Find your balance of time, perm strength, stretch time, and stretch routine during that stretch time, because you will need a routine.
  7. Get a good leave in. If your hair is very dry, hard like and "drinks" up moister by being dry after the day you have applied some, try a moisterizing leave in, Like using Cantu creams. If your hair is limp and easy to break, get a protein or water based leave in like Infusium (read ingredients, i don't want to give you bad advice)...there are others i just don't know if they are moist or protein based...Anyway, seal the leave in with an oil of your choice, like olive oil or wonder six oil or jojoba oil.
  8. Low handling or hair. You can wear protective styles to the max like wigs, falls, braids, covered buns, etc...or moderately like an uncovered bun, a high ponytail that prevents ends from rubbing on clothes.. or low, like wearing it down in the back, falling freely. Comb only enough to prevent matting, minimize your combing, and you can do that by wearing styles that do not require alot of it. Only comb when moisterized sufficiently. Comb with care as if it's a baby's bottom. Comb in sections. Comb starting at the END first, SLOWLY work your way up...make sure your hair is not dry and brittle or none of this will matter anyway. HAIR IS MOST VULNERABLE when wet. So, when you wash your hair, follow the same instruction on combing.
  9. MOISTER MOISTER MOISTER ! Don't go overboard or it will get mushy, easy to break and overmoisterized. But, regularly, apply some type of moister to the ends, and apply some type of oil to seal in the moister.
  10. Wear silk scarf to bed. This is so important. If you do not, your hair will break.
  11. Develop a routine. Of when to wash, what products works best on your hair, when to perm, etc. It's not hard. Read this board for people w/ hair probs similiar to yours, ask questions for the rest, try the products you want (keep receipt) if it/those don't work out, return for another product to try (keep receipt) also. :) As you work with your hair, it will " tell " you what it likes and doesn't like.
  12. TAKE CARE OF THE INTERNAL. Pray to Jesus for overall obedience and righteous living (not just for hair results). Meditate. Eat as many vitamin based foods you can put your hands on, b/c these natural nutrients grow your hair. Supplement your diet with man made vitamins. Exercise to stimilate circulation which does the same for hair growth. Yes, :) , it does. Massage your scalp if it doesn't make you have to recomb or tangle up your tresses. Drink loads of water. Eat sufficient protein. Low fat meats and dairy, nuts, beans, tofu, soy milk, protein shakes (don't overdo it, kidney problems if so, just make sure you are incorporating this stuff). Get or have a social life, love life, girlfriend life, internet life (LHCF) whatever you need to incorporate into your life to keep the mind from being idle and keep you happy and glowing. I like a combo of several of those. :)
Wow. I've written alot. Trust me, if you use this and Sista Slick and advice from all the other experts on this site, you WILL have MUCH thicker hair. Trust ! Glad to help girls ! Lotsa love....ThicknLong :kiss:

thiccknlong

As inspiration, last year mine was THIN from so many things in life, I consistently followed:1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11.

I performed some of : 12

I never did : 2, 9 ...And my ends are thick to the end :eek: who would have thunk it :lol: ? , and my overall hair is thick now :trampolin. As it grew, I clipped stringy ends, not all at once, but clipped more of the bad ends with every relaxer, and not I've retained the hair ABOVE the jacked up ends and they are NOW my ends.... If my thin mess from 06 can thicken up, where as I had no hope, girlies, so can yours !!!! Cheers ! :cheers:

newflowers

Thank you - you offer very sound advice, you and the ladies on this site.

Part of my new leaf is being consistent with my hair care - body care in general; it is so easy to become over busy with life and, of course (for me at least), the care of ME always takes a backseat to the care of everyone and everything else. Sometimes, I'm not even in the back seat; I've missed the ride completely.

I have inconsistently done and am now very carefully doing most of these - #10 is a wash for me. No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot keep a bonnet or a scarf on my head at night unless I tie it so tightly, I can feel my blood pulsing and give myself an indentation and a huge headace. I've resorted to satin and silk pillow cases. A trip to the fabric store, a few minutes at the sewing machine and tada.

How do you manage to keep a scarf on your head at night and without impeding circulation?:perplexed I would love to be able to do this.

Well, then, 3 months into my hair journey - we'll see what's happening a year from now.

thiccknlong

newflowers said:
Thank you - you offer very sound advice, you and the ladies on this site.

Part of my new leaf is being consistent with my hair care - body care in general; it is so easy to become over busy with life and, of course (for me at least), the care of ME always takes a backseat to the care of everyone and everything else. Sometimes, I'm not even in the back seat; I've missed the ride completely.

I have inconsistently done and am now very carefully doing most of these - #10 is a wash for me. No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot keep a bonnet or a scarf on my head at night unless I tie it so tightly, I can feel my blood pulsing and give myself an indentation and a huge headace. I've resorted to satin and silk pillow cases. A trip to the fabric store, a few minutes at the sewing machine and tada.

How do you manage to keep a scarf on your head at night and without impeding circulation?:perplexed I would love to be able to do this.

Well, then, 3 months into my hair journey - we'll see what's happening a year from now.

I hear from the other ladies to place a satin bonnet over the satin scarf...then sleep on a satin pillow case :lol: You should be well covered....I myself tie my scarf at the front as opposed to the nape of my neck, this way I don't lose hair at the nape from the knot rubbing against it, AND my scarf stays on soooooo much better, before mine wouldnt make it to the bed lol.....I just saw this one lady who went from short, thin hair to ... looooong , THICK hair...it looks like those falls the white ladies wear on the soap operas...her progress is phenomenal...if I find her profile again, I'll send the link to you...she can help you on your journey !

newflowers

Thank you - I'd really appreciate the link.

I've tried the scarf tied in front, tied in back, even tied on the side - bonnet with scarf, no bonnet, bonnet alone - the blasted thing is never on in the morning. I've even tried one of the mesh thingys with velco closure over the scarf to help - no luck. I am scarf impaired.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm working on getting mine thicker but it's hard. I think it may be somewhat thicker but I really don't think my hair will ever be really thick. B-12 vitamins are supposed to make the actual hair strand thicker, I've been taking those along with biotin. I want to try castor oil on my scalp but my hair is so fine that I know that it will be so weighted down and hard to comb if I do this. I think clipping the ends really helps too. I'm interested in the replies to this thread.

newflowers

Intereating - B-12 to make the actual circumference of the hair shaft thicker - I've got B-12.

Any other thoughts ladies?

Tranquility

thicknlong said:
Newflowers and danip:

Certainly. This is what I've read others have done, and things that has helped me....
  1. Clip bad ends. They will never improve. But, they WILL split up the hair shaft and damage the rest of your hair. Clip them off so you can "save" the other hair above them. BUT only clip off the bad ends. Don't clip anymore than necessary.
  2. Conditioner washes - Placing conditioner from roots (this is important, keep reading) to tips, on DRY hair B4 shampooing, using a plastic cap and going under the dryer. Afterwards, "wash" your hair with the conditioner that's in your hair (this is why conditioner is placed on roots also). Your hair tangles less, is softer, which all means less hair in your comb. :)
  3. Get a detangling, Moisterizing shampoo. Some people even add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil ) to theres.
  4. Get a good protein/reconstructor. This is a balancing act. Protein gives your hair strength from breakage. Use a lighter protein (more frequently) or heavier protein (less frequently). The KEY is to find one that strengthens your hair AND to use it to in the right frequency for YOUR hair. Some people need a heavy protein every 6 weeks. Some only once every 3 mos. Some use a light protein every week. Some use a moderate protein once a month or when needed. Find the product and frequency that works best for your hair.
  5. Find a very moisterizing, moisterizing conditioner. Use it EVERY time you wash your hair. With a plastic cap and go under the dryer. Moisterize with a water based conditioner. Follow with an oil based moisterizer (ie. olive oil ) to seal in the moister. Moister, moister, moister, moister. There is no option to skip this step.
  6. Use a milder relaxer and/or try to stretch relaxers. This is another balancing act. You must be careful to not do it such that breakage occurs. I know I can not DRAMATICALLY " stretch" relaxers without my hair being so underprocessed it will be a tangled, yarn ball all the time. So, to thicken my hair, I use a milder relaxer AND I "strech" an extra 1 or 2 weeks by keeping my hair in a bun during that time. It doesnt get matted because I have it so full of moisterizing cream, its soft as a baby's bottom. I do NOT wash my hair during my extra week or two of "stretching " . Your hair may can withstand it. But, my hair balls up in tanglings when it see's water, so I just keep it in a bun for the extra 1 or 2 weeks of stretching. My hair is soooooooo much thick, lawd ! Now, it's not as straigtht, but who cares ? Find your balance of time, perm strength, stretch time, and stretch routine during that stretch time, because you will need a routine.
  7. Get a good leave in. If your hair is very dry, hard like and "drinks" up moister by being dry after the day you have applied some, try a moisterizing leave in, Like using Cantu creams. If your hair is limp and easy to break, get a protein or water based leave in like Infusium (read ingredients, i don't want to give you bad advice)...there are others i just don't know if they are moist or protein based...Anyway, seal the leave in with an oil of your choice, like olive oil or wonder six oil or jojoba oil.
  8. Low handling or hair. You can wear protective styles to the max like wigs, falls, braids, covered buns, etc...or moderately like an uncovered bun, a high ponytail that prevents ends from rubbing on clothes.. or low, like wearing it down in the back, falling freely. Comb only enough to prevent matting, minimize your combing, and you can do that by wearing styles that do not require alot of it. Only comb when moisterized sufficiently. Comb with care as if it's a baby's bottom. Comb in sections. Comb starting at the END first, SLOWLY work your way up...make sure your hair is not dry and brittle or none of this will matter anyway. HAIR IS MOST VULNERABLE when wet. So, when you wash your hair, follow the same instruction on combing.
  9. MOISTER MOISTER MOISTER ! Don't go overboard or it will get mushy, easy to break and overmoisterized. But, regularly, apply some type of moister to the ends, and apply some type of oil to seal in the moister.
  10. Wear silk scarf to bed. This is so important. If you do not, your hair will break.
  11. Develop a routine. Of when to wash, what products works best on your hair, when to perm, etc. It's not hard. Read this board for people w/ hair probs similiar to yours, ask questions for the rest, try the products you want (keep receipt) if it/those don't work out, return for another product to try (keep receipt) also. :) As you work with your hair, it will " tell " you what it likes and doesn't like.
  12. TAKE CARE OF THE INTERNAL. Pray to Jesus for overall obedience and righteous living (not just for hair results). Meditate. Eat as many vitamin based foods you can put your hands on, b/c these natural nutrients grow your hair. Supplement your diet with man made vitamins. Exercise to stimilate circulation which does the same for hair growth. Yes, :) , it does. Massage your scalp if it doesn't make you have to recomb or tangle up your tresses. Drink loads of water. Eat sufficient protein. Low fat meats and dairy, nuts, beans, tofu, soy milk, protein shakes (don't overdo it, kidney problems if so, just make sure you are incorporating this stuff). Get or have a social life, love life, girlfriend life, internet life (LHCF) whatever you need to incorporate into your life to keep the mind from being idle and keep you happy and glowing. I like a combo of several of those. :)
Wow. I've written alot. Trust me, if you use this and Sista Slick and advice from all the other experts on this site, you WILL have MUCH thicker hair. Trust ! Glad to help girls ! Lotsa love....ThicknLong :kiss:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE, I REALY APPRECIATE IT. I WILL START USING THESE METHODS TO ACHIEVE HEALTHY HAIR. I HOPFULLY WILL HAVE COMPARISON PHOTOS TO SHARE SOON...:)

mona_cherie

Pokahontas said:
I'm working on getting mine thicker but it's hard. I think it may be somewhat thicker but I really don't think my hair will ever be really thick. B-12 vitamins are supposed to make the actual hair strand thicker, I've been taking those along with biotin. I want to try castor oil on my scalp but my hair is so fine that I know that it will be so weighted down and hard to comb if I do this. I think clipping the ends really helps too. I'm interested in the replies to this thread.

Wow, I didn't know that B-12 made the hair thicker too! I always thought it was only B-5.

Mariaat40

mona_cherie said:
Wow, I didn't know that B-12 made the hair thicker too! I always thought it was only B-5.

B-5, or pantothenic acid, is what worked for me. Even my stylist commented on how much thicker my hair was. And I hadn't told her I was doing anything differently.

sunnydaze

#8 less manipulation has really made a difference in my hair.

I have always had somewhat thick hair, but it has definitely gotten thicker at the bottom half of my hair since I drastically reduced using heat. I use it maybe once every 2 months now. I also stopped combing and raking through it unnessarily. This has resulted in more natural shedding when I actually do, but less daily breakage.

InnerSoul

this is what helps my medium fine strands:

-stretching my relaxers to 3 months.
-balancing protein treatments and moisture.
-deep conditioning with every wash(my dc has a mild protein in it.)
-rollersets add great volume... and so does braid and twist outs...I hardly ever wear my hair in a straight style.. I have to have some curl or texture in order to achieve a nice fuller look. hth:)

Last edited:

loveable37

I have fine hair if u look at my AVATAR pic it looks thick only cuse i am 7 weeks post relaxer after i recieve my touch up it back to normal thin hair regardless if u were born with thin hair u gonna have thin hair in the end.
Ur hair might get long and thicken out just a little.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
loveable37 said:
I have fine hair if u look at my AVATAR pic it looks thick only cuse i am 7 weeks post relaxer after i recieve my touch up it back to normal thin hair regardless if u were born with thin hair u gonna have thin hair in the end.
Ur hair might get long and thicken out just a little.

That's true about genetics. That only thing that a us ladies with thin tresses can do is eat right, drink lots of water and take your supplements. That helps from the inside. The only other thing you can do is henna, amla powder or cassia treatments. These treatments actually coat the hair shaft and make your hair feel and look thicker. There are lot's of other products on the market to do this as well. I prefer the natural route and do henna/indigo, amla and cassia. It really does help!

Sexyred

I use the black jamaican castor oil on my roots and my ends. I have noticed that my new growth is really thick, trust me i have thin hair so that was a surprise to me. Maybe that would work for you. About the B-12 I use to get the shots which cause my hair to grow really fast maybe i need to go back to getting those and healthier and most importantly little to no maniplation is helping me to gain thickness. HTH

My hair appears thick but it is not and the longer it gets the harder it will be for me to maintain what I have... :ohwell: (This is my biggest challenge)

I have decided to to try MSM

I am also recently starting to read more and more about Essential Oils!!!

biotin and b-12 I may or
may not try later, simply because
I think it is very important to
slowly add things to you diet,
so that just in case something
does not agree with your body
you will now what did it.

Lavendar

My hair has always been really fine and still is for the most part, but it's changed in thickness significantly since I starting using henna and shikakai oil from HairVeda. I do take biotin and MSM; however, I am sometimes not consistent with these. I think the MSM has helped my allergies, joints, and increased my typing speed more than anything. The biotin seems to peak at about 3-4 months out and taper off quickly. But the henna and shikakai oil have consistently improved my hair's condition, strength, and now thickness. I started almost 2 years ago with one layer of fine thin, bleached hair with barely any temple hair. It still amazes me when people tell me my hair is thick...I have to go run and look in the mirror before I can really confirm that yes...now it is!:grin:

Tee

My hair has always been really fine and still is for the most part, but it's changed in thickness significantly since I starting using henna and shikakai oil from HairVeda. I do take biotin and MSM; however, I am sometimes not consistent with these. I think the MSM has helped my allergies, joints, and increased my typing speed more than anything. The biotin seems to peak at about 3-4 months out and taper off quickly. But the henna and shikakai oil have consistently improved my hair's condition, strength, and now thickness. I started almost 2 years ago with one layer of fine thin, bleached hair with barely any temple hair. It still amazes me when people tell me my hair is thick...I have to go run and look in the mirror before I can really confirm that yes...now it is!:grin:

OT..Look at your hair! I love it! Seems like just yesterday you cut it off.

Lavendar

Hey Tee! Been missing you girl! I know...I can't believe how quickly it has grown back. I thought for sure I wouldn't get those 6 inches back for at least a year.... until next May some time, yet I'm already knocking on BSL. I'm truly Blessed and thankful for henna and shikakai:grin:!!!

DivaRox

My coworker did:

When my derm started me on biotin(5mg)last year, I told her about it and she started taking it too. She started wearing protective styles right along with me(braids) and of course this ended up stretching her relaxers out from every 4-6 weeks to every 10-12 weeks, sometimes longer because her first stretch was 3 months.

Her hair was so thin and see thru and now she's gained length(it was above her ears and now she has a respectable jawline bob), and has thick hair. It is amazing to see. She also stopped coloring her hair light. She still has some thin areas on her nape but I think it's because you can't totally overcome genetics but her hair looks great.

Tee

Hey Tee! Been missing you girl! I know...I can't believe how quickly it has grown back. I thought for sure I wouldn't get those 6 inches back for at least a year.... until next May some time, yet I'm already knocking on BSL. I'm truly Blessed and thankful for henna and shikakai:grin:!!!

Lav....Are you using the skidakai oil or powder mix?

DivaRox...No wonder you have beautiful skin!

morehairplease

Newflowers and danip:

:urock::worship2::blowkiss::bighug:thanks so much for this post....thick hair here I come :woohoo2:

Last edited:

sareca

thicknlong, I'm gonna put a link to your post in my fotki. :yep:
Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow. :up: