stretching relaxers - do you find that you need to shampoo/condition more or less?

stretching relaxers - do you find that you need to shampoo/condition more or less?

• When I stretch I shampoo/condition MORE OFTEN?

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • When I stretch I shampoo/condition LESS OFTEN?

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • When I stretch I shampoo/condition ABOUT THE SAME?

Votes: 31 32.3%

• Total voters

HoneyDew

Ok ladies, I am attempting my first relaxer stretch. I will be at 4 weeks post on Friday and I am feeling the waves down there. This is the point where normally I start fighting with the NG on washdays, but it has not been that bad thank goodness (thanks MSM!). Also, normally by 6 or 7 weeks, I cannot take it anymore.

I was thinking maybe I should stop washing every 3-4 days and do it once a week or so to decrease the change of breakage and to save time. My goal is to make it to 10 weeks - cold turkey!!

But, I recall some ladies saying that they shampoo and condition more often when they stretch. I cannot see how I can deal with that!!!

How do you guys do it?

Last edited:

InnerSoul

I voted the same b/c wether I am post relaxer or have a fresh relaxer I still wash/dc twice a week(every 3-4 days). I do know that for me wash/dc frequently does keep my new growth extremely soft and manageable when I am stretching!:)

InnerSoul

also I rollerset 95% of the time and while sitting under the dryer in my rollers the heat helps straighten my new growth.. the longest I have ever stretched is 3 months.. so my plan is to keep it at 3 months.. that seems to work for me!

HoneyDew

Well, I do know that after a fresh shampoo and condition, my new growth is straighter, but not really much softer. I have managed to find a couple of moisturizers that are keeping my NG very soft even after reversion after straightening then on shampoo days.

But, I am not sure about that when I get past 8 weeks. :perplexed These moisturizers may need a little help. I just don't have much time. I notice that the further I get, the more time it takes to "do" my hair on shampoo days.

Cbgo

Re: stretching relaxers - do you find that you need to shampoo/condition more or less

I voted to wash more often. I stretch for 5 months and its hard to comb the new growth. It's easier for me when I wash.

HoneyDew

InnerSoul said:
also I rollerset 95% of the time and while sitting under the dryer in my rollers the heat helps straighten my new growth.. the longest I have ever stretched is 3 months.. so my plan is to keep it at 3 months.. that seems to work for me!

My ultimate goal is 3 months. I wish!!

Do you wear your hair down everyday?

I do so I am not sure I can stretch that long unless I start wearing it up.

lonei

Re: stretching relaxers - do you find that you need to shampoo/condition more or less

I stretch for 12 weeks each time, I dont have any problems simply because I dont touch it for 3 weeks until wash day.

Aidenberry03

I wash and condition twice a week, whether its a fresh relaxer or 8 wks post (that is a stretch for me). Do you flat iron after every wash. What is your daily style.

InnerSoul

HoneyDew said:
My ultimate goal is 3 months. I wish!!

Do you wear your hair down everyday?

I do so I am not sure I can stretch that long unless I start wearing it up.

Yes, I do wear my hair down everyday... I am not a protective style person. Now I will just pin it up (like yours on your siggy) if I have a deep knit wool sweater on to keep my strands from getting caught in the fabric:) ..but this is only once in a while. I guess since I do rollerset it's easier for me to wear it down all the time. The curls from my roller sets last about 2-3days before my next shampoo/dc. So I have just been doing this for about 5 months and its been working for me.

When I am about 2 1/2-3months post relaxer.... twist/braid outs work best for me;)

ETA: the longer I go post relaxer I also have to use a rinse out conditioner after rinsing out my deep cond. this really combats tangles.

Last edited:

Artemis

This is a good thread b/c I'm gonna try my first stretch at 12 wks cold turkey. I'm at 5 weeks now, so I'll be popping my head in for tips:) I normally relax at 8 weeks.

tryingto

I find my scalp gets the itchies every 3-4 days when I stretch, so I may not shampoo each time, but I do condition, it feels soo very good, I relaxed 3 times last year, I will do 2 times this year, hopefully

tatje

I wash less and condition more. I am a month and a half post. I just try to keep it mosturize and not touch it.

crlsweetie912

I voted more. Because my hair always "behaves" better after a fresh shampoo and dc. And since I have more NG the longer I stretch, I have to have it behave or else I will cave in and get the itch to relax. Great question HoneyDew!

e$h

I found that what works best for me when I'm stretching past week 15 and beyond, I wash/condition once a week as opposed to washing/conditioning every 3 days. My ng be off the chain and dealing with it becomes cumbersome.

TemiLnd

I wash my hair more often when I am stretching out my relaxer. I am currently on a 5 month stretch to May. My last stretch was for 4 months.
I manage this by roller setting in to tight curls – it keeps my hand out of my hair and gives the NG a smooth look. I wash once a week and co wash in the middle of the week. But once a week if im lazy. The cleaner my scalp is, the easier my NG is to handle.
:grin: Plus Bonus: I use braids and cornrows to get me through week 10 – 16!!

HoneyDew

loreal99 said:
I wash and condition twice a week, whether its a fresh relaxer or 8 wks post (that is a stretch for me). Do you flat iron after every wash. What is your daily style.

Yes I airdry and then flatirom then I wrap it but I use 2 or 3 satin rollers on the ends to keep a curl. In the morning, I just unwrap, uncurl and finger comb. The flat-ironing part is the hard part. I am already texlaxed, but the NG makes shampoo days such a task. I thought decreasing from twice a week to once a week would #1 be less heat and #2 save time and effort.

Tonight I would normally shampoo/condition my hair (I just did on Sunday), but I am going to wait until next Sunday to see how it goes.

Catina72

I wash about the same, which, depending on the weather, could be every 3 days or 1x per week. I just relaxed after a 12.5 week stretch. I definately pre-poo with my deep conditioner then follow up with a detangling or moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. This keeps the hair strong and moist. I had soooo much newgrowth this time around that I started using the blowdryer (at the roots) at week 10 just to be able to deal with it. I may try for 14 weeks but I like the 3 month stretch. I don't think I could ever relax before 10 weeks ever again.:look:

HoneyDew

lonei said:
I stretch for 12 weeks each time, I dont have any problems simply because I dont touch it for 3 weeks until wash day.

lonei - this is actually the concept I think I want to try. I don't think my dirty hair can take 3 weeks w/o washing because of working out, etc,but what you do is exactly what I think can help me stretch.

With less frequent wash days I am thinking I can just leave the NG alone.

HoneyDew

e$h said:
I found that what works best for me when I'm stretching past week 15 and beyond, I wash/condition once a week as opposed to washing/conditioning every 3 days. My ng be off the chain and dealing with it becomes cumbersome.

This is me! :lol:

preciousjewel76

I voted "about the same". When I joined in October, I had just had a relaxer, and I decided to try stretching for 11 weeks. I managed to do it without serious drama.:eek: I washed/DC every weekend, and cowashed midweek. However, I didn't rollerset consistently. Mostly, I airdried in a ponytail.

This time around (stretch #2!), I feel like I have a better idea of how my hair acts. I'm almost 7 weeks post, and my new growth is staying soft with the help of MSM and a better regimen. I airdry almost exclusively; I haven't tried a rollerset since November. I've opted to wash/DC mid-week instead of cowash. I'll probably start pre-pooing and rollersetting on the weekends, too. What has helped me the most are half wigs and phony ponies...perfect for wearing the day after a wash! I can just slick it back to airdry, and put on a half wig and go the next morning!:)

nycutiepie

I voted for washing at the same rate because I generally wash 1-2x per week and I keep it the same. However, when you say "fighting with the NG on washdays" what do you exactly mean? Do you mean when you try to detangle your hair while wet with conditioner? Do you mean after air drying? If tangling is the issue, you may need to look at the products you are using and also you can try washing in braids or in sections. Here’s a thread that may help with tangling issues http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112088&highlight=stretch. The reason I asked about your specific problem is because I’ve noticed that the most frequent complaint about stretching is in relation to the tangling that occurs while washing. I notice that you mentioned wearing your hair out everyday; so do you comb your hair on a regular basis also? If so, I don’t suggest combing through any 4a/b new growth because you are really asking for a fight. However, you also mentioned using a flat iron so I would assume that would get your roots straight but I’m not really sure what you’re working with since I don’t use heat. Either way, I’ve found Sylver2’s scarf method to be the key to getting the new growth to lay down flat and I actually think it trains your hair. You cannot alter the state or really fight the new growth but you can easily camouflage it. Maybe you can use the scarf to lay it down after flatironing or pincurling or whatever style you wear. I don’t suggest ever combing through 4a/b new growth unless your hair is loaded with something like conditioner, s-curl, or some other product that has it ultra soft. Even then, I only suggest doing it when the hair is wet because the comb should be gliding through. Maybe you can try washing less and see how your hair responds and if not, you can increase it the next time. I hope you find a method to help because you say you’re only 4 weeks and unless your hair grows mega quick, you should not be wrestling at this point in the stretch.

Misseyl

I voted for less washing. I stretch for up to 18 weeks, but hell, it's a lot of work. When I have a fresh relaxer, I wash every week but after 10/12 weeks, I wash every two weeks. My new growth gets very hard and there's a lot of shedding/breakage but I think I've found a solution to my problem. I roll my hair everynight w/mango butter and have noticed that if I spray my roots w/Scurl then my k-cutter comb just glides through my new growth. I usually only comb my newgrowth on wash days and I hate to see the amount of hair that comes out but with my new method, I think that won't be an issue anymore....

preciousjewel76

Misseyl said:
I voted for less washing. I stretch for up to 18 weeks, but hell, it's a lot of work. When I have a fresh relaxer, I wash every week but after 10/12 weeks, I wash every two weeks. My new growth gets very hard and there's a lot of shedding/breakage but I think I've found a solution to my problem. I roll my hair everynight w/mango butter and have noticed that if I spray my roots w/Scurl then my k-cutter comb just glides through my new growth. I usually only comb my newgrowth on wash days and I hate to see the amount of hair that comes out but with my new method, I think that won't be an issue anymore....

S-Curl is so awesome on my new growth! I use that if it's *REALLY* acting up, and it tames it right away.

HoneyDew

nycutiepie said:
I voted for washing at the same rate because I generally wash 1-2x per week and I keep it the same. However, when you say "fighting with the NG on washdays" what do you exactly mean? Do you mean when you try to detangle your hair while wet with conditioner? Do you mean after air drying? If tangling is the issue, you may need to look at the products you are using and also you can try washing in braids or in sections. Here’s a thread that may help with tangling issues http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112088&highlight=stretch. The reason I asked about your specific problem is because I’ve noticed that the most frequent complaint about stretching is in relation to the tangling that occurs while washing. I notice that you mentioned wearing your hair out everyday; so do you comb your hair on a regular basis also? If so, I don’t suggest combing through any 4a/b new growth because you are really asking for a fight. However, you also mentioned using a flat iron so I would assume that would get your roots straight but I’m not really sure what you’re working with since I don’t use heat. Either way, I’ve found Sylver2’s scarf method to be the key to getting the new growth to lay down flat and I actually think it trains your hair. You cannot alter the state or really fight the new growth but you can easily camouflage it. Maybe you can use the scarf to lay it down after flatironing or pincurling or whatever style you wear. I don’t suggest ever combing through 4a/b new growth unless your hair is loaded with something like conditioner, s-curl, or some other product that has it ultra soft. Even then, I only suggest doing it when the hair is wet because the comb should be gliding through. Maybe you can try washing less and see how your hair responds and if not, you can increase it the next time. I hope you find a method to help because you say you’re only 4 weeks and unless your hair grows mega quick, you should not be wrestling at this point in the stretch.

Detangling is not really a problem for me. It is getting it straight to wear my hair in the style that I want. Once it's straight and on the days following shampoo day, I am fine because I tie my hair down. It is on that day that I have do much trouble just getting it straight. It is just gets harder as the weeks go by. That is why I wanted to just start washing less often so I don't have to deal with it as often.

Edited to add:

Straightening my hair is not really "hard" to accomplish for me, it just takes more time the more new growth that I have. I just get impatient, especially on the mid week wash day when I have had a long day at work and now that my classes have started my time is even more valuable.

But, i do fidn that on my weekend wash day, I tend to have more time to devote to wash day (I also do henna and cassia treatments and you ladies know that take time, as well).

Last edited:

envybeauty

I think if you are using products that help to soften your hair, your ng will be more manageable if you wash more often. I am stretching now until March and my ng is already about a good inch almost. I wash more often to lay my new growth down because the conditioner I use smoothes my hair (silicon mix). I washed this morning, put in pony tail, and my edges are smooth and flat. In about 3 days the edges/ng will puff up again and i will wash again to lay them down. I could not do this with ordinary conditioners. also, my hair is relaxed straight and not texlaxed.

HoneyDew

nycutiepie said:
I hope you find a method to help because you say you’re only 4 weeks and unless your hair grows mega quick, you should not be wrestling at this point in the stretch.

No, right now, it's all good. Actually I am at the point where my new growth helps give me the body and thickness that I like. I am just thinking ahead. At 6 weeks is when I get frustrated. I know I can stretch to 8 weeks, too. But I have never gone past that because at 8 weeks, I just don't have the patience. I want to get past 8 weeks this time.

LocksOfLuV

For the last couple of weeks I have been slapping conditioner on dry hair, DCing under the dryer and rinsing.

Cuts out tangles and its a blessing right now.

So I guess you can say I am no-pooing the closer I get to touch-up time.

I am still waiting on my Breakthru Shampoo. I hope it gets the job done!:)

HoneyDew

nvybeauty said:
I think if you are using products that help to soften your hair, your ng will be more manageable if you wash more often. I am stretching now until March and my ng is already about a good inch almost. I wash more often to lay my new growth down because the conditioner I use smoothes my hair (silicon mix). I washed this morning, put in pony tail, and my edges are smooth and flat. In about 3 days the edges/ng will puff up again and i will wash again to lay them down. I could not do this with ordinary conditioners. also, my hair is relaxed straight and not texlaxed.

NVY, your hair looks so pretty. I love your color and the curls.