Why Is It BAD to use OIL when PRESSING/FLAT IRONING?

brownsugarflyygirl

Okay...so I know cones and silk proteins are good for protecting hair when using heat.

But I remember someone saying that using oil was bad because it causes some part of the hair shaft to boil or something scientific like that. Can Navs, Sistaslik, anyone explain to me why using straight oil is bad?

Anybody ever use sweet almond oil or any other natural oil alone consistently over time with good results?

Just curious...since I am in Bootcamp...I have nothing better to do than PONDER heat regimens, regiments, regimes :lol:

trulyurangel82

using oils and flat ironing basically just frys your hair. Its like using an oil and a skillet. When it frys your hair it can damage the hair and make it dry. I know from experience ive used oil and flat ironing once and my hair just looked fried and dry.

Now using oils for everyday use is okay but not when using heat.

Crissi

trulyurangel82 said:
using oils and flat ironing basically just frys your hair. Its like using an oil and a skillet. When it frys your hair it can damage the hair and make it dry. I know from experience ive used oil and flat ironing once and my hair just looked fried and dry.

Now using oils for everyday use is okay but not when using heat.

ITA and ive experienced the same thing..however what r we meant to use then? because water boils the shaft, making it expand and what not causing breakage over time...im guessing we just use cone filled products like serums?... as a natural i'd love to know

navsegda

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Okay...so I know cones and silk proteins are good for protecting hair when using heat.

But I remember someone saying that using oil was bad because it causes some part of the hair shaft to boil or something scientific like that. Can Navs, Sistaslik, anyone explain to me why using straight oil is bad?

Anybody ever use sweet almond oil or any other natural oil alone consistently over time with good results?

Just curious...since I am in Bootcamp...I have nothing better to do than PONDER heat regimens, regiments, regimes :lol:
Pretty much@the bolded. No one should EVER be using oil to flat iron their hair. The reason why heat gets such a bad rap is because so many people don't use it correctly. With all the new technology and science for flat irons today, people should just NOT be getting heat damage. But even if you have the most advanced technology in the world, if you misuse heat then your hair will get damaged in some way. One way to misuse it is by using oils. Another way is to use the wrong source of heat. I don't care how well someone's $19.99 Gold N Hot flat iron straightens their hair, not all heat is the same. Ceramic emits constant, even far infrared heat that is supposed to help lock in moisture (far infrared heat produces water molecule resonance and in turn resonance of atoms) and also eliminates bacteria/detoxifies the hair. These are the same types of infrared ions that can be used in cancer patients on a daily basis to kill cancer cells (while not damaging healthy ones even with all the exposure). If they can be used safely on cells that are much more sensitive (like tissues inside the body pelted by nerves), then they should NOT be damaging your hair (tissues that are already dead and therefore a lot less sensitive). Infrared heat is a type of radiant heat that heats through conversion (and changing the conformation of the atoms around the bonds without touching the air in between). Come on, scientists know what they are doing. It's not their fault that the rest of the world doesn't.

The bonds in oils break very very easily. The purpose of heat protectants is to have compounds that are strong enough to withstand heat without the bonds in them breaking, and thus, prevent all the heat from getting directly on the strand. If you are using an oil, then it cannot protect your hair strands because the heat is going to burst through them and get straight to your hair. Oil also pops and "fries" when it comes into contact with a heat source. So essentially, it's not really just the heat of the flat iron, it's the heat of the flat iorn PLUS the hot oil that you just created on your strands. We all know what happens when we get accidentally popped by hot oil. Your hair may be looking real glossy and "fly," but it's probably ready to slap you in the face for burning it. Even though the purpose of new infrared technology is to basically eliminate possibility of heat damage on its own, you can add one or more factors that cancel this out (by using oil or a temperature way too high for instance or going over a section 25 times).

Also, other miscellaneous tips on flat ironing to test if you are doing something wrong:

1. Your hair is sizzling. YOUR HAIR SHOULD NOT BE SIZZLING. If you hear a sizzle, package your flat iron up and send it back before you do some damage. If you see or smell smoke, whether product, the iron, or the hair, then you've done something wrong (ie the temperature is way too high).
2. You should not go over a piece more than once. Seriously, one time oughta do the job. I know that far infrared heat is safer and you can spend more time exposed to it than conventional heat but regardless of this, act like you didn't just read what I said and just go over it once.
3. You should always use a heat protectant. Always always. Better to be safe than sorry.
4. I know this may sound arcane to some but when you flat iron a piece of your hair it should NOT, I repeat, NOT, be feeling hot to the touch right after the iron has passed over an area. You should be able to flat iron and the second it leaves a spot, touch it and feel the hair straight but cool. As I have said many times before, heat should only be changing the positions of the atoms in space around their molecular bonds so the hair is straight; it should not be damaging or weakening the bonds and if it is, YOU are doing something wrong, not the flat iron. Also, ceramic/tourmaline/ionic heat dissipates very quickly, regular heat does not.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
Pretty much@the bolded. No one should EVER be using oil to flat iron their hair. The reason why heat gets such a bad rap is because so many people don't use it correctly. With all the new technology and science for flat irons today, people should just NOT be getting heat damage. But even if you have the most advanced technology in the world, if you misuse heat then your hair will get damaged in some way. One way to misuse it is by using oils. Another way is to use the wrong source of heat. I don't care how well someone's $19.99 Gold N Hot flat iron straightens their hair, not all heat is the same. Ceramic emits constant, even far infrared heat that is supposed to help lock in moisture (far infrared heat produces water molecule resonance and in turn resonance of atoms) and also eliminates bacteria/detoxifies the hair. These are the same types of infrared ions that can be used in cancer patients on a daily basis to kill cancer cells (while not damaging healthy ones even with all the exposure). If they can be used safely on cells that are much more sensitive (like tissues inside the body pelted by nerves), then they should NOT be damaging your hair (tissues that are already dead and therefore a lot less sensitive). Infrared heat is a type of radiant heat that heats through conversion (and changing the conformation of the atoms around the bonds without touching the air in between). Come on, scientists know what they are doing. It's not their fault that the rest of the world doesn't.

The bonds in oils break very very easily. The purpose of heat protectants is to have compounds that are strong enough to withstand heat without the bonds in them breaking, and thus, prevent all the heat from getting directly on the strand. If you are using an oil, then it cannot protect your hair strands because the heat is going to burst through them and get straight to your hair. Oil also pops and "fries" when it comes into contact with a heat source. So essentially, it's not really just the heat of the flat iron, it's the heat of the flat iorn PLUS the hot oil that you just created on your strands. We all know what happens when we get accidentally popped by hot oil. Your hair may be looking real glossy and "fly," but it's probably ready to slap you in the face for burning it. Even though the purpose of new infrared technology is to basically eliminate possibility of heat damage on its own, you can add one or more factors that cancel this out (by using oil or a temperature way too high for instance or going over a section 25 times).

Also, other miscellaneous tips on flat ironing to test if you are doing something wrong:

1. Your hair is sizzling. YOUR HAIR SHOULD NOT BE SIZZLING. If you hear a sizzle, package your flat iron up and send it back before you do some damage. If you see or smell smoke, whether product, the iron, or the hair, then you've done something wrong (ie the temperature is way too high).
2. You should not go over a piece more than once. Seriously, one time oughta do the job. I know that far infrared heat is safer and you can spend more time exposed to it than conventional heat but regardless of this, act like you didn't just read what I said and just go over it once.
3. You should always use a heat protectant. Always always. Better to be safe than sorry.
4. I know this may sound arcane to some but when you flat iron a piece of your hair it should NOT, I repeat, NOT, be feeling hot to the touch right after the iron has passed over an area. You should be able to flat iron and the second it leaves a spot, touch it and feel the hair straight but cool. As I have said many times before, heat should only be changing the positions of the atoms in space around their molecular bonds so the hair is straight; it should not be damaging or weakening the bonds and if it is, YOU are doing something wrong, not the flat iron. Also, ceramic/tourmaline/ionic heat dissipates very quickly, regular heat does not.

I was waiting for you to get in here. Where we you when I was frying my hair in 9th grade. Did you check out joico yet?

SVT

Are we referring to "grease" when saying oil? Is coconut oil in this bad category?

navsegda

gymfreak336 said:
I was waiting for you to get in here. Where we you when I was frying my hair in 9th grade. Did you check out joico yet?

You mean the silk line? No, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it's on my list of things to do/buy in the very near future. :D

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
You mean the silk line? No, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it's on my list of things to do/buy in the very near future. :D

I plan on getting it after I get rid of some of my current stuff.

navsegda

SVT said:
Are we referring to "grease" when saying oil? Is coconut oil in this bad category?

Yes. All oil or grease is bad for flat ironing the hair. Oil is healthy on its own (like coconut, amla, jojoba, etc.) but it all behaves the same way when it comes into contact with heat.

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks Navs! Thats the exact breakdown I was looking for :lol:

I can always understand the science but sometime its hard for me to remember and repeat it. Thanks for the refresher.:)

sunshinebeautiful

Thanks for schooling us. I was so used to using oil when I flat ironed my hair that I had no idea that it could cause heat damage. So I assume we should stick with serum & heat protectant?

navsegda

sunshinebeautiful said:
Thanks for schooling us. I was so used to using oil when I flat ironed my hair that I had no idea that it could cause heat damage. So I assume we should stick with serum & heat protectant?

Yeah. Most serums are heat protectants too, so if you have a good serum, you don't need to go out and buy an extra heat protectant. But I have tons of both serums and additional heat protectants (like Nexxus Heat Protexx) so I won't run out, lol.

sunshinebeautiful

navsegda said:
Yeah. Most serums are heat protectants too, so if you have a good serum, you don't need to go out and buy an extra heat protectant. But I have tons of both serums and additional heat protectants (like Nexxus Heat Protexx) so I won't run out, lol.

Thanks! :D

CinnaMocha

Than my poor hair suffered back in the day when I pressed it with all that oil/grease during my college days...shame, shame, shame...

Mortons

I'm ashamed of myself now, back in high school when I was getting my hair pressed I thought that sizzle was good. I used to think "Yeah girl, its getting good and straight!" :nono:

I have never been able to touch my hair right after flat ironing it even with my ceramic iron....well, maybe because I was going over it more than once.....I've been bamboozled!!!!!!!!:whyme:

Covergirl5906

gymfreak336 said:

oh my goodness I was thinking the same thing...when I think of what I used to do to my hair back in the days:eek:

navsegda

loreal99 said:
can some one give me an example of a serum vs heat protectant. Don't most serums have mineral oil in them?
CHI Silk Infusion is a serum and also a heat protectant. It does not have mineral oil in it (or any other oil for that matter). Nexxus Heat Protexx is a heat protectant, but it is not a serum (it's a spray; serums are usually of a semi-thick liquid consistency).

In fact, I have yet to use a serum that has mineral oil (doesn't mean there aren't any, just I haven't used any or seen any). However, even if you do have a serum that has mineral oil in it, there's a difference between something included in a very small amount that is mixed in microscopically with several other ingredients so it really can't have a negative impact and something that is nothing but straight oil. What serum are you referring to that has mineral oil? Good serums and heat protectants have some type of silicone ingredients (dimethicone, dimethiconol, cyclomethicone, etc.) at the top of the list. If you are using something with mineral oil or random other things at the top, then you aren't using a good serum or heat protectant.

Last edited:

Aidenberry03

umm, i dont know any in particular, but when I have gone to the store to look I would always put them back down b/c mineral oil was high on the list. Well what about garnier leave in serum (sleek and shine)--clear gel like one---- would that be considered just a leave in or serum ie heat protectant. See now I am confused all over again. DAMN:lachen:

navsegda

loreal99 said:
umm, i dont know any in particular, but when I have gone to the store to look I would always put them back down b/c mineral oil was high on the list. Well what about garnier leave in serum (sleek and shine)--clear gel like one---- would that be considered just a leave in or serum ie heat protectant. See now I am confused all over again. DAMN:lachen:
It's both a serum and a heat protectant. Most serums are heat protectants but not all heat protectants are serums. The fruit oils (apricot kernel and avocado) in the Garnier are microscopic and aren't high up on the list, so it's pretty good to use. What matters is that dimethiconol is the second ingredient. However, this isn't as good as the CHI so do not be deceived hahaha.

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
:eek: I was one of those folks who thought that the *sizzle* was a good thing....my hair definitely thanks me for joining LHCF!!!

Lynnerie

OMG- So that Ultra Satin Creme Press is bad too? Thats what i use sometimes but I do love the Chi Silk Therapy. Thanks for that product recommendation Navs. And your hair is beautiful, what is your regimen?

navsegda

cluelessaka said:
OMG- So that Ultra Satin Creme Press is bad too? Thats what i use sometimes but I do love the Chi Silk Therapy. Thanks for that product recommendation Navs. And your hair is beautiful, what is your regimen?
What does the Ultra Satin Creme Press have in it?

Thanks. :D I CWC (condition-wash-condition) followed by deep conditioning on Mondays and then pre-poo with Dabur Vatika oil, shampoo, and deep condition again on Thursdays. I am a huge fan of the Garnier Length & Strength line (shampoo, conditioner, and anti-split ends treatment) as well as the CHI Line (Infra Moisture Therapy Shampoo, Infra Thermal Protective Treatment, and CHI Silk Infusion). I used to oil my scalp every other day with either Vatika or Amla Lite oil but have since become lazy. Right now there is nothing on my scalp. I do however massage my scalp everyday. I also normally moisturize and comb my hair each day just because lol.

navsegda said:
What does the Ultra Satin Creme Press have in it?

Thanks. :D I CWC (condition-wash-condition) followed by deep conditioning on Mondays and then pre-poo with Dabur Vatika oil, shampoo, and deep condition again on Thursdays. I am a huge fan of the Garnier Length & Strength line (shampoo, conditioner, and anti-split ends treatment) as well as the CHI Line (Infra Moisture Therapy Shampoo, Infra Thermal Protective Treatment, and CHI Silk Infusion). I used to oil my scalp every other day with either Vatika or Amla Lite oil but have since become lazy. Right now there is nothing on my scalp. I do however massage my scalp everyday. I also normally moisturize and comb my hair each day just because lol.

how often do you use heat?

Sweetyb

Navsegda, wish I were this informed years ago when I was burning my hair and getting my hair burned by others :grin:. I had my hair hot combed for the first time in years (professionally) yesterday and I must say I thought the stylist was wierd for not using any oil or cream in my hair before flat ironing. But then again, she did go over my hair multiple times with a hot comb then flat iron :ohwell:... so I guess the good balances out the bad?? (don't answer that ;))