Relaxers: How to prevent overlapping?

envybeauty

Is there a product or something else that you use to mark the line of demarcation?

I'm trying to see if there is something someone is doing that really prevents overlapping when self-relaxing.

It could be a product (like putting conditioner on only the relaxed hair and knowing to apply the relaxer to the dry NG) or an item (like using a rattail comb to mark the line and perming the NG beneath). I don't know...I'm fishing for ideas.

I want to self-relax but am concerned about overlapping. What do you do?

Precious_1

I am concerned about how to prevent this too. I am interested in seeing the replies. I would like to add another question in addition to the original post..Do the those pre relaxer creams that come in the box with some perms really help?

BrooklynSouth

Shamboosie prefers you do it at the salon or at least have a trusted friend do it for you to avoid overlapping. I'll never do my own relaxing again, the salon has its risks but I prefer my trusted stylist.

mimi

Somethe ladies here are applying an oil or petrolrum jelly to the previously relaxed hair to avoid overlapping. This actually works quite well.

hottopic

I section my hair in several sections 1st. Then apply any cheap conditioner (VO5) and petroleum on the part where I am not suppose to relax. Plus I use my fingers to apply. I also do my hair in 2 halves, so I can concentrate on each section.

Last edited:

LiLi

I use plastic sectioning clips (don't use metal) and place them about 1/4" past the demarcation line. It works really well for me. It takes me a looooong time to prepary for my relaxer but I would rather take several hours to prepare so that I get the results that I want. It's definitely worth it to take the extra time. Also, when you are putting the relaxer on, it's a lot quicker because you don't really have to feel for anything -- once your finger touches that plastic clip, you know that you shouldn't go down any further. I guess you could use plastic barrettes -- the longer ones -- but I don't like to have to worry about unsnapping the sectioning clips as doing this with the barrettes could get a little messy. HTH

Oh ... and another thing you could do for even more protection is cover the already relaxed hair with saran wrap or a plastic cap and then place the sectioning clip over the plastic (I do this and have a no-fail relaxing experience each time). This way, when you are handling the hair, you don't have to worry about relaxer touching the previously relaxed sections.

I've added these things over the years of self-relaxing and having not-so-good results.

Last edited:

sereia

LiLi said:
Oh ... and another thing you could do for even more protection is cover the already relaxed hair with saran wrap or a plastic cap and then place the sectioning clip over the plastic (I do this and have a no-fail relaxing experience each time). This way, when you are handling the hair, you don't have to worry about relaxer touching the previously relaxed sections.

I did that once and it took a looong time covering all the sections I made. I now use neutralising shampoo or conditioner to protect the already relaxed hair. Works lika charm!
HTH

Peachtree

When I used to self relax, I would apply Vaseline or a combo of Olive Oil w/Motions Moisture Plus to the relaxed section.

Using plastic clips... that's a great idea. I'll have to try that the next time I'm asked to apply a relaxer to someone's hair... thanks for the tip :)

LiLi

sereia said:
I did that once and it took a looong time covering all the sections I made. I now use neutralising shampoo or conditioner to protect the already relaxed hair. Works lika charm!
HTH

I tried what you said before I decided that I needed the extra protection. I don't relax very often so the extra time it takes to protect my hair to the fullest is worth not having overprocessed hair and breakage in the future. :) All I do is take a processing cap and cover the previously relaxed hair, then place the clip over it ...takes 1/2 minute more for each section.

envybeauty

Thanks for all the good advice ladies! I appreciate the creativity and everyone taking time to share what works for them.

Nvy

God's Anointed

I've never relaxed my hair myself without my sis over my shoulder helping me so i wanted to do it myself this month and i was wondering the same thing also. Thanks for starting this post! I really needed this!:)

Royal Glory

LiLi said:
I use plastic sectioning clips (don't use metal) and place them about 1/4" past the demarcation line. It works really well for me. It takes me a looooong time to prepary for my relaxer but I would rather take several hours to prepare so that I get the results that I want. It's definitely worth it to take the extra time. Also, when you are putting the relaxer on, it's a lot quicker because you don't really have to feel for anything -- once your finger touches that plastic clip, you know that you shouldn't go down any further. I guess you could use plastic barrettes -- the longer ones -- but I don't like to have to worry about unsnapping the sectioning clips as doing this with the barrettes could get a little messy. HTH

I've added these things over the years of self-relaxing and having not-so-good results.

Fabulous idea! Wow...and doable. Not so complicated. I'm going to try that.

LiLi

Royal Glory said:
Fabulous idea! Wow...and doable. Not so complicated. I'm going to try that.

If you need a visual let me know. I don't mind doing a video on how I do it if needed.

Babygurl

The only way I prevent overlapping is by stretching my relaxer and applying the relaxer up to the point the curly new growth ends, which is very easy for me to tell the difference in texture...applying product to the ends only gives me tangles when Im trying to part my hair and apply relaxer...The most I do is spray oil sheen on the ends, this seems to help greatly.

PinkPebbles

LiLi said:

This is an excellent idea!!!

locabouthair

i would like to try putting conditioner on my relaxed ends pryor to relaxing but i dont self relax. i go to the salon and if i do shes probably gonna ask me "mami what this on your hair"? and i really dont feel like explaining it to her.