Ponytail Method

H

HoneyRockette

Could someone repost the instructions for this please? Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Medium to Long hair: : Gently comb hair back into a ponytail, making sure that the hair is combed through thoroughly and lays flat. This is very important! If your hair is not flat when it is wet, it won't be flat when it dries! For hair that cannot be securly pulled into a ponytail because of its length or the way it is cut, you may move it up from the nape of your neck towards the center of the head. However, if you are still unable to include all of the hair securely, try 8B instead. Before securing the hair in a ponytail, spread a small amount of WGO in your hands and smooth on the hair (starting from front to ends). Make sure ends are well coated. This will keep ends from frizzing and seal in moisture so that your hair dries with a sheen. Secure hair with bow/ponytail holder (not too tightly, but firmly). Once hair is pulled back securely, brush hair very gently (preferably with a soft-bristle man's brush) from the front of the hair to the base of the bow to make sure hair is flat and there are no fly-aways. Give the ends hanging from the pony tail one final comb through, so that they are not puffy or wavy. Apply a final coating of WGO to the ponytail and to the hair leading up to it. Comb through at least two times before hair dries completely. Apply a small amount of Pro-Line Perm Repair (optional) to the ponytail as added protection for your ends and to seal in moisture. You may also add more WGO as needed, but start with small amounts so your hair does not become oily.
8B For Short to Medium Hair Lenths: Slick hair back, using a comb and your hands, until it lays flat and smoothly rests at the nape of your neck. This is very important! If your hair is not flat when it is wet, it won't be flat when it dries! Spread a small amount of WGO in hands and smooth on hair, starting from the front to the ends. Make sure ends are well coated. Use either a clip or bobby pins to keep hair firmly resting at the nape of your neck, or you can leave it loose and periodicaly smooth it down with your hands or by combing through. You may also gently smooth hair with a brush (soft bristled man's brush). The important thing is to keep your roots flat until the top layer of the hair is dry. Once the top layer is dry, you may either allow the rest to air dry, or you may sit under a hair dryer, med. to high heat, for at least 15-45 min., depending on hair length, to dry hair at least 3/4 of the way. As hair is drying, gently comb it through after every ten minutes that you have been under the dryer, or air drying, so that the ends are not puffy or wavy. Comb through at least two times before hair dries completely. Apply a small amount of Pro-Line Perm Repair (optional) to the ends for added protection and to seal in moisture. You may also add more WGO as needed, but start with small amounts so your hair does not become oily.

Taken from "The Black Woman's Guide To Beautiful, Healthier Hair in 6 Weeks!" by Caroly Gray

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
very detailed! :yep: i always wondered what I was doing wrong when I did the ponytail method! this is great! i may try it again! :yay:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Is this done on wet or damp hair???

How should I secure the ponytail without it leaving an indent mark??? :confused: Do I need to use something different to secure my ponytail??? I use these to secure my ponytail...

Last edited:

BAILEYSCREAM

Poohbear said:
Is this done on wet or damp hair???

How should I secure the ponytail without it leaving an indent mark??? :confused: Do I need to use something different to secure my ponytail??? I use these to secure my ponytail...

Ponytail method is done on wet or damp hair. I personally prefer to saturate my hair with leave in so that it stays wet for longer during the day, especially now that the sun's out.:)

These bands look fine, they are ouchless I believe. I use cut up stockings now to secure my ponytail and I'm throwing out the bands with the metal on them unless I can find a way to cover up the metal that pulls out the hair.

Poohbear

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Ponytail method is done on wet or damp hair. I personally prefer to saturate my hair with leave in so that it stays wet for longer during the day, especially now that the sun's out.:)

These bands look fine, they are ouchless I believe. I use cut up stockings now to secure my ponytail and I'm throwing out the bands with the metal on them unless I can find a way to cover up the metal that pulls out the hair.
Yeah, they're ouchless but leave a dent mark. I will try using stockings too...

And yes, get rid of those bands with the metal on them. :up:

Dolapo

I have that kind of band and yes, they do leave dents....what else can i use? Also, after hair is dry, will the wgho still smell in my hair?

Ms_Twana

Okay, I'm new at this so my question may be stupid. But, what do you do with the hair that sticking out of the ponytail once it dries?? The ponytail method is to make your hair straight right?? When I think of straight, I think of straight and down, like flat-ironed straight. So what do you do after it dries???

Ivonnovi

Bumped to breath new life into this thread.

AND because I'm glad to see that someone else uses nylons to secure their ponytails! :grin:

Moroni

Okay, I'm new at this so my question may be stupid. But, what do you do with the hair that sticking out of the ponytail once it dries?? The ponytail method is to make your hair straight right?? When I think of straight, I think of straight and down, like flat-ironed straight. So what do you do after it dries???

Thanks for asking this, Ms_Twana! I was looking for the place where we're instructed to put the rollers in...LOL! Bumping AGAIN!!!

lonei

I use to do this alot and have multiple pics in my fotki-start with Jan 06. I use to flat iron out the marks...

itsdiddy

Thanks! Now..... where do I get that? Or is that like any of my favorite oil that I would normally use? Right now I use Extra virgin olive oil on my ends..... thanks again (in advance)

Hotmommak

Am I missing something??? Is this only for relaxed hair? How is your ponytail supposed to be straight if you're air drying wet, curly, hair?

*Michelle*

Am I missing something??? Is this only for relaxed hair? How is your ponytail supposed to be straight if you're air drying wet, curly, hair?

I'm wondering the same thing!!?? I might try this with some rollers on the pony hair and minus so much product. Oh and doesn't the band, or whatever, cause breakage?? My hair is pretty darn healthy and strong but I think if I did this a lot it would cause breakage from the hair trying to expand as it dries kwim???

Sigh, I wish I could find a better way to rollerset my hair, I would do it on the regular cuz I like the fullness. hmmm, I need to find a way to work this out...

helina

I just did a ponytail rollerset. I put my hair in 13 little ponytails w/ ouchless bands and rolled each one on a magnetic roller and secured w/ a bobby pin. I let it air dry part way and dried the rest under a hooded dryer. As I took out the rollers and bands, I flat ironed my roots. Hair came out nice! I'm a 3c natural.