can you have healthy colored hair

Chemetria

Hi Ladies I just got to know can you have healthy colored hair because I love color my hair is not colored now it was just a question I had on my mind

hondahoney007

I think it is possible with extra tlc. Check out Blackbarbies hair on this forum. Her hair is long, colored, healthy and I believe relaxed.

czyfaith77

Yes it is possible. My hair is colored and I am reaching my goals in a timely manner. I have found the key for me is to find out what is the right amount of moisture and protein that my hair needs and of course regular hair care. I have had alot of woes in the past concerning color but learning what I have learned has made a dramatic difference. Also, because I like honey colors, I found it helpful (for me) to color the actually hair first and then the roots. This way my roots are are not overprocessed (due to the body heat that come from the scalp that activates the product even more so) which can eliminate breakage and I don't have the color I desire but with brassy looking roots. Again, proper balance of moisture and protein is key. If you would like you can pm. There is another thread on here about color but I have to find it. I have it on save somewhere.

Last edited:

ajargon02

Chemetria said:
Hi Ladies I just got to know can you have healthy colored hair because I love color my hair is not colored now it was just a question I had on my mind

In the long term I think not. The reason why(imho) is that the stuff in commercial colors, lifts your natural color out (dryness) and deposits antoher color in (leading to breakage) the lighter you go the more dmg you have. That photo in my avatar? That color dmg my hair so much, and I REALLY BABY my hair to death! I had to cut all of that color out. My hair was breaking off, and I had to stop the bleeding! All the years of growth gained, DOWN THE TOILET! All the length I could have retained, GONE! You might notice over time w/ color that your hair will stop at a certain length, break off really bad all over or in certain spots, and or SEVERE split ends. I had every color care thing otu there, and my hair said no! Becarful w/ color. The longer you have it, it can potentially eat ur hair! Becareful

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
You can, but you will have to be very careful and very dilgent about some things. Going to light, using a lot of bleach, or doing it too often will do more damage. You will have to deep condition religiously and cut out most heat to keep it healthy.

I just did some damage with some peroxide and I'm paying for it dearly. However, when I was usin no ammonia, no peroxide rinses, my hair was fine.

LovetheLord

I was going to ask the same question today. A couple of beauticians said that if you have a relaxer and want to color that it will break your hair off and leave it damaged if you do not take extra care of it. I am scared of damaging my hair, because it fell out when I colored last time and I am trying to grow it out. But I really love color! Anyway I don't think the hair dye took my hair out the first time, I think it was because of poor maintenance. I am seriously considering dyeing my hair again. :perplexed

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I'm on the fence with this one...when my hair was hilited (light brown/honey blond) it broke off considerably and just looked like crap...when I decided I wanted really long hair I knew I could no longer keep the hilites..I colored my hair jet black w/bigen and I color every 3 mos (when I get my relaxer) and my hair is way healthier & healthier looking since then..So I guess it depends on what type of color you use & how often...also I found I had to trim more with the hilites

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
I've bleached my hair and colored it pretty much every lighter color. To me, my hair is healthy. I'm an exception though. My hair is growing and it's thick and soft and shiny.

I personally have grown out of the lighter color phase, so I'm trying to get it closer to my natural color. But if the feeling hit me again that I wanted platinum blonde highlights with the honey blonde base again, I'd do it again.

blackbarbie

hondahoney007 said:
I think it is possible with extra tlc. Check out Blackbarbies hair on this forum. Her hair is long, colored, healthy and I believe relaxed.

Hondahoney, thanks for the compliment!!

I think having healthy colored hair is definately possible, regardless of the length. I did have to learn to "over" moisturize to compensate for the dryness that would come with the highlights and also had to learn to be consistent in keeping up on the protein treatments. As someone mentioned, the lighter the color, the higher propensity it is for the hair to be drier.

This is def. true in my case b/c I have about 3 diff. colors in my hair and the lower layers of my hair used to be the lightest. (blond) When I wasn't on top of my game with the deep conditioning and protein treatments, that part would be very brittle.

I think it's highly possible except you have to be willing to give your hair extra t.l.c. to maintain its health....and oh yeah, direct heat is a serious no-no.

hondahoney007

blackbarbie said:
Hondahoney, thanks for the compliment!!

I think having healthy colored hair is definately possible, regardless of the length. I did have to learn to "over" moisturize to compensate for the dryness that would come with the highlights and also had to learn to be consistent in keeping up on the protein treatments. As someone mentioned, the lighter the color, the higher propensity it is for the hair to be drier.

This is def. true in my case b/c I have about 3 diff. colors in my hair and the lower layers of my hair used to be the lightest. (blond) When I wasn't on top of my game with the deep conditioning and protein treatments, that part would be very brittle.

I think it's highly possible except you have to be willing to give your hair extra t.l.c. to maintain its health....and oh yeah, direct heat is a serious no-no.

Your welcome blackbarbie.