relaxed 4a/b's do u moisturize ng with oil-based or water-based

water or oil based moisturize for ng?

• Total voters

preciousstone

2 questions ladies

do you use an oil based or water based moisturizer on your ng? please share why you use one type over the other

and

do you use a diff moisturizer on your ng than on your ends?

Last edited:

Platinum

I prefer to moisturize all of my hair with a water-based moisturizer. I think oil-based moisturizers would only coat the hair and not really allow moisture to penetrate. Since I'm in braids right now, I like to use Worlds or Curls curl moisturizer.

preciousstone

I prefer to moisturize all of my hair with a water-based moisturizer. I think oil-based moisturizers would only coat the hair and not really allow moisture to penetrate. Since I'm in braids right now, I like to use Worlds or Curls curl moisturizer.

i thot so too but i'm experimenting with flat ironing my ng to cut down on detangling/demarcation breakage. I currently use ors carrot oil moisturizer which is water based - well that's the first ingredient.. and i find that when i apply it to my ng.. the ng kinks back and am right back where i started keeping the ng unkinked... does that make sense...

so i've been wondering if its better to use oil on the ng instead of a water based product..

still dunno tho..:ohwell:

blessedandlucky

i use ntm silk touch on my ends and when i'm deep into a stretch i use jane carter nourish and shine on my new growth only. i flat iron my new growth and find that it reverts when i use the ntm.

bumping for you. hope you get more responses!

LivingDol1

i moisturize the entire length of my hair with NTM silk touch leave in and then seal it with a light oil (carol's daughter tui oil) in the AM. at night, i moisturize again and put vatika oil on my ends.

i've tried using just oil in the past but my hair didn't feel much better. just oily. i have fine hair so water based moisturizer gives me a little bit of body. i don't mind and prefer to not have my hair slick straight.

PGirl

I like to use either NTM Triple moisture Leave in, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, or Sta Sof Fro, each of which are water based. I think I like water based because it moisturizes without weighing my hair down. So by the end of the week I don't have limp, stringy hair.

I moisturize nightly from root to ends just before I tie down with scarf. Oh and I add some NTM Serum too...fabulosity

baddison

natural for good
I use both. Water base on the ends, oil based on the ng. I never flat iron my ng....just continue to tie down with a silk scarf after moisturizing....then I bun.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
i like buttery moisturizers with a coconut oil base to them on my NG because they penetrate better and helps to detangle. Hairveda's green tea moisturizer is a great one and so is the Vatika Frosting. Great for NG! :yep:

HoneyDew

I like buttery moisturisers, too.

Water can be the first or 2nd ingredient, but it is not watery. It is butter/oil laden , as well.

A good balance for me and does not revert my flatironed hair.

I do not use watery cream moisturizers and I don't like anything too oily.

When I have more NG, I tend to use my Heavy Cream more down in there and just lightly on the ends.

Maz11

i thot so too but i'm experimenting with flat ironing my ng to cut down on detangling/demarcation breakage. I currently use ors carrot oil moisturizer which is water based - well that's the first ingredient.. and i find that when i apply it to my ng.. the ng kinks back and am right back where i started keeping the ng unkinked... does that make sense...

so i've been wondering if its better to use oil on the ng instead of a water based product..

still dunno tho..:ohwell:

Preciousstone,

I had a similar experience w/ ORS Carrot Oil Moisturizer. This moisturizer seemed to coat my 4b relaxed hair and made it revert.

I've found that the more creamy, water-based moisturizers work better for me. Right now, I use Elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends. It leaves my hair soft and moisturized, no reversion. It's also really great on my edges.

wheezy807

I also prefer to moisture all of my hair with a water based moisturizer. I only use oil when my hair is down because it's light and doesn't weigh the hair down. My hair didn't agree with ors carrot oil neither.

Naphy

I only moisturize with water-based moisturizer, and then I seal with whatever oil I've got under my hand ^^
I use Scurl or Jamaican Mango & Lime leave in

KhandiB

I prefer water based moisturizers for my whole head..

although I have this weird thing for Softee Coconut Grease, LOL