For ladies who have hair near your waist.....

ebonylocs

Is the not combing everyday to avoid taking out more shed hairs than usual? What about using a wide tooth comb?

No. It wouldn't make sense to hold on to shed hairs. 1) They are already shed from the scalp, so can't add anything to your length (unless you have locs), and 2) they tangle with the rest of your hair, which might lead to more breakage when you detangle.

So the best thing is to get those shed hairs OUT. If only we could find a way to do it without any manipulation! That's the problem - the manipulation.

Not combing everyday is to minimise BREAKAGE.

As for the comb, I actually think it's best to detangle thoroughly at least once a week with a medium tooth comb to make sure to get all the shed hairs out. When I use only wide tooth, I find that it doesn't get between a lot of the hairs, and so causes them to tangle, mat, dread.

FeelinIt

My hair is natural and I air dry.

I have a very simple routine...wash, condition, finger comb, rinse, air dry. That's all :)

No complicated hair styles, no heat, no relaxers, no combs, no brushes, no harsh hair accessories...

Good luck on your journey! I know there are people with waist length hair on here that both relax and use heat, but my hair would never be able to withstand those type of things. We all have to find what works for our own hair :)

Your regimen sounds like one I need to adhere to. I've done just about everything under the sun to my hair. My biggest problem is my need to do something different daily to my hair. Right now I'm just trying to keep it soft and that is such a challenge right now.

Starr1

I'm natural and I air dry.

I wash once a week. Condition. Fingercomb. Rinse. Moisturize. Bun.

Henna once a month.

That's it. I'm pretty boring. :look:

lala

How are you growing your hair so long? Are you growing your hair natural or with a relaxer? Do you blow dry or air dry?

I have a relaxer and I usually dry under a hooded dryer. I did recently dry with a blowdryer b/c I was out of town. I rarely airdry since I usually shampoo in the evening and can't stand wet hair when sleeping. I trim at retouch (6 - 13 wks. ) since the ends tend to take on a different shape vs. the rest of my hair when I don't.

My hair is starting to get stuck in things like seatbelts, buttons, and even people standing behind me have someone gotten entangled in my hair. I wear it up now when I'm traveling because of this.

memee1978

My hair is natural and I air dry.

I have a very simple routine...wash, condition, finger comb, rinse, air dry. That's all :)

No complicated hair styles, no heat, no relaxers, no combs, no brushes, no harsh hair accessories...

Good luck on your journey! I know there are people with waist length hair on here that both relax and use heat, but my hair would never be able to withstand those type of things. We all have to find what works for our own hair :)
same here.im natural,i air dry..my routine is simple and i use a water spray bottle.i just leave my hair alone.:rolleyes:

Lady Esquire

I'm currently an inch past brastrap and trying to reach waistlength. I don't have split ends (thanks to my rollersets :up:) but my ends are not as thick as they could be b/c I havent trimmed since like the beginning of Sept/end of Aug of '07.

How often do you (waistlengthers) trim and how do you keep your ends full?

LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!

Yeah, WLers, please answer this. I am BSL and growing out layers. How do handle trims and thickness of ends?????????

For those of you with WL hair, how did you keep it from rubbing on your clothes while you were getting there?

Yeah, I wore protective styles for about 2 years. Just started wearing it out a few months ago. Some of my shorter layers are still rubbing. Tips????

Bublin

This is a great thread.

It is clear that we all have to keep our regimes simple.

- Hood dryers and flat irons aren't necessarily bad - it all depends on your individual head of hair - and not to use it every day.

- Rollersets seem to be a favourite way of drying and retaining length.

- Air drying is not for everyone - infact it can be down right damaging for some of us.

- protective styling isn't essential during the day but at night you must sleep on a satin pillow case or use a scarf or bonnet.

- DC isn't essential but daily moisturising the ends is.

- Blow driers seem to be a no-no except for at the roots.

- if you suffer split ends 'Seek and Destroying' them helps a great deal in retaining length instead of a full-on trim.

This is some of what i have learned in the past couple of months since being relaxed and from this thread....so why are there so many threads about growth aids/protective styling/wigs/braids/weird,wonderful and hard to find products?

When are we really going to start listening to long haired ladies?

JustKiya

This is a great thread.

It is clear that we all have to keep our regimes simple.

- Hood dryers and flat irons aren't necessarily bad - it all depends on your individual head of hair - and not to use it every day.

- Rollersets seem to be a favourite way of drying and retaining length.

- Air drying is not for everyone - infact it can be down right damaging for some of us.

- protective styling isn't essential during the day but at night you must sleep on a satin pillow case or use a scarf or bonnet.

- DC isn't essential but daily moisturising the ends is.

- Blow driers seem to be a no-no except for at the roots.

- if you suffer split ends 'Seek and Destroying' them helps a great deal in retaining length instead of a full-on trim.

This is some of what i have learned in the past couple of months since being relaxed and from this thread....so why are there so many threads about growth aids/protective styling/wigs/braids/weird,wonderful and hard to find products?

:D Pure impatience. :lol:

WSL Ladies - I'm curious - how long did it take for you to get to WL, and where did you start from?

gymfreak336

People will listen when they get tired. At the end of the day you have to do what works for you. The fact of the matter is that it takes time to grow hair and most of us are still looking for an instant fix. We all come here at different starting points and sometimes we need to sit down and have an honest look at our hair and accept the fact we are going to have to grow out all of the damage and start over. Like I had said before, all the protien treatments in the world can't fix terribly damaged hair.

Jynkx

it seems like it took me years and tears and years......lol. but of course that was before i had LHCF. i was doing all the donts. i have no idea how long it took me. exept a long time.