Lo-mani challenge #2 (dec 07- apr 08) -- this one is easier. :)

sareca

Who's up for another round of lo-mani? This time...
  • I won't keep track of who's on the challenge.
  • There's no set amount of time. You can go 3 weeks or 3 days as long as you're making an effort to comb/brush less. :yep:
  • You're allowed to gently brush your hairline but don't pull all the way through your length. :nono:
  • You can use protective styles if you want to (it's not required).
  • I'm leaving lo-mani completely open to interpretation... YOUR interpretation.
Before beginning lo-mani you MUST master the art of detangling. It's not hard to learn and I promise you'll be glad you did whether you decide to become a lo-mani mama or not. :yep: I used Robin's videos to learn how to gently detangle my hair. I can take out dreads and matted hair w/o hearing anything snap or break and with minimal visible breakage (short pieces). I also use oil rinses every 2-3 days to help keep tangles to a minimal.

I started a lo-mani FAQ below. I'll pull from your posts and add to it so at the end we'll be able to help other ladies on their lo-mani journey.

So! Where are my lo-mani mamas?

Lo-mani FAQ
Does lo-mani have MSG? :giggle:
Nope, lo-mani = low manipulation

Why do lo-mani?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=2708779&postcount=148

What counts as manipulation?
Every time you touch your hair it's being manipulated, but I'm specifically referring to combing and brushing.

How do you detangle severly tangled hair?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=147349&page=10
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=3182857&postcount=28

What are oil rinses?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

Last edited:

sareca

Oh I forgot, I put kinky twists in last night, but they are only staying for 3-4 weeks. For some strange reason it only took 5 hours so I feel very comfortable taking them out in 3 weeks. :ohwell:

nappity

Okay Sareca!

Since Im a fan of yours and I need to find 2 inches that i had to get cut off because of a "domininican salon debacle" . Im all in. Washed. deep conditioned finger combed,parted and twisted. Let the merriment begin!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Well, you know I'm in. I've seen the benefits!:yep: I'll stick with the usual 2-3 weeks I think unless there's a special event I've got to do my hair for.

youwillrise

hahahah

"does lo-mani have msg"

i think i'll join this one.
i have twists in my hair
that i plan to keep in for a while
and then re-do.

it's hard for me to not mess with my hair when it's "out"
i think taking the time to put my hair in twists
kind of forces me to not want to do anything with it
especially when it took over 2 hours to do lol

Sugar Brown

I'm in! I'm already on a personal challenge to not straighten until April '08. I'm doing weekly twistouts til then, covering with a satin bonnet at night, then moisturizing and refreshing daily with mango butter. Easy Peasy. :yep:

Aggie

Im interested in the videos u mentioned about detangling. where did u get them?

I'm interested in these videos as well, can you send us the address or a link please?

BTW I'm in this challenge as well. I am already in a "hide your hair" challenge until March '08 anyway so this would be a breeze to add on an additional month. I keep my hair cornrowed one to two weeks at a time, undo, wash and treat and cornrow again. I am currently 12 and a half weeks post relaxer and I want to stretch until March '08, but don't know if I'll make it. Man my roots are haaard!

TinyT

I am in. I have actually completed a 3 week stretch. I put twists in my hair for week 1, conditioner rinsed week 2 & 3. Oiled scalp with Olive oil every few days. I just put new twists in this Sunday and will go another 3 weeks. In between I do loose pinups of the twists for a sophisticated look. I think I will do three week stretches until the warm weather returns in the spring.

MonaLisa

U know I'm down....a chick be usin her fingers man for hair separation.......

and be slapping on a wig...

Straight up...

princessdi

Sareca,

I'm in unless that means I can't relax my hair in December. I will continue to wear buns and will try to incorporate braidouts and rollersets.

What does your oil rinses consist of?:rolleyes:

sareca

Sareca,

I'm in unless that means I can't relax my hair in December. I will continue to wear buns and will try to incorporate braidouts and rollersets.

What does your oil rinses consist of?:rolleyes:

You can relax your hair in December. :yep: There are no rules. Just make an effort to reduce combing/brushing your hair. It's completely open to interpretation.

There have been a couple oil rinse threads. Here's the first one http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965. It might take a while to hit your stride with oil rinses, but it's worth the time and effort. :imo:

Last edited:

TCatt86

I'm in I will alternate with twist outs, braidouts, and rollersets. I love not combing my hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Okay Sareca!

Since Im a fan of yours and I need to find 2 inches that i had to get cut off because of a "domininican salon debacle" . Im all in. Washed. deep conditioned finger combed,parted and twisted. Let the merriment begin!

Woah! Your hair is awsome!

nappity

Now Ms. Pokahontas!!
Thanks for the compliment- but your hair is AWESOME!!!Girl If i ever get my alphabet city hair to your length- Ill never wear clothes- Id just wrap that hair all over my body. You and Sareca are some serious idols of mine!!!!:grin:

cmw45

I'm on it too...I got twist in today that will stay till the end of January to be replace by more twists. I'm in!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Now Ms. Pokahontas!!
Thanks for the compliment- but your hair is AWESOME!!!Girl If i ever get my alphabet city hair to your length- Ill never wear clothes- Id just wrap that hair all over my body. You and Sareca are some serious idols of mine!!!!:grin:
Lol, thanks girl! I just can't stop staring at your siggy. Your texture is beautiful.

lollyoo

SARECA AM IN- ALTHOUGH AM DUE FOR TOUCH UP MARCH 08.

PLANS-
1)TO END DEC 07- combing on wash days- biweekly
2)JAN-FEB 08- kinky twist
3) MARCH 08- biweekly combing