Flat ironing is considered Indirect Heat???

Artemis

I wanna know this too because i have a problem figuring out how much Chi silk to put on my hair when using my generic Chi. Will a quarter size amount do or do i need to put in EACH section of my hair?

Or do i just rub some Chi silk on my roots since i just flat iron my roots? How do u know u put enough on to not break down?

Whenever I apply any heat protection product, I section my hair off and apply at least a dime-size amount to each section. Your hair may need more than that, but just keep that, but as you make sure the hair is covered, but not weighed down, you'll be fine.

Really, ladies silicone (and in this case silk protein) is a lot stronger than you think. Silicone is used in industrial engineering, and silk is one of the strongest materials (stronger than hair). If you just use your tools and products correctly you won't have an issue. :yep: Plenty of threads on how to correctly flat iron. Check the archives.

Thanks Destiny! I've never seen that one. It looks hardcore, like it means business :lol:

I'm afraid of it. It looks like my hair would get caught in between the plates. I own a solia(1 inch), sedu (1 inch) and a farouk deep brillance (.5 inch). I like all of them. I think I am going to order a h2pro solid ceramic to see if I notice a difference. It's a shame that I own 3 flat irons and I only use them on my roots after I rollerset.

gymfreak336

A, you held it down homie :lol: I don't really have much else to add. I do think conversations like this are important though. When in comes to the science behind why things work, well, we could talk all day. Heat is heat but all heat isn't the same. That goes for so many other things. The science that is used in these flat irons in many cases came from the medicinal application of heat still used in some cancer therapies today.

JustKiya

A, you held it down homie :lol: I don't really have much else to add. I do think conversations like this are important though. When in comes to the science behind why things work, well, we could talk all day. Heat is heat but all heat isn't the same. That goes for so many other things. The science that is used in these flat irons in many cases came from the medicinal application of heat still used in some cancer therapies today.

Does that heat penetrate the skin without damage, and attack the tumor beneath by heating it, somehow?

Artemis

Does that heat penetrate the skin without damage, and attack the tumor beneath by heating it, somehow?

Yeah there is some research where the infrared heat will destroy the damaged cells without harming the healthy ones. Hopefully Gym will find something about this in her search.

PGirl

Thank you so much for posting these links (especially the 2nd one). I read all of them thoroughly and I'm impressed. :clapping:

Question: I'm scared to ask this one for fear of forum backlash but here goes....what if the hair is a little damp when you flat iron? I know that Navs said that oil would be bad when flat ironing...but what about water? I know there is alot of controversy about this topic but I'm really curious. Not wet....just barely damp... -- People get steam treatments all day long on hair and skin so why would a little water be so bad?????? And oh yea, there are some heat protectants that contain water too...

JustKiya

Thank you ladies soooo much for dropping the science! I'm getting closer (as in, it's actually maybe could sorta be a possibility) considering using heat, and I must admit, it's been a lot of the solid information you ladies have generously shared on this thread and others, along with noticing some aspects of my hair that makes me think I'll be able to be lighthanded.... :yep:

Artemis

Thank you so much for posting these links (especially the 2nd one). I read all of them thoroughly and I'm impressed. :clapping:

Question: I'm scared to ask this one for fear of forum backlash but here goes....what if the hair is a little damp when you flat iron? I know that Navs said that oil would be bad when flat ironing...but what about water? I know there is alot of controversy about this topic but I'm really curious. Not wet....just barely damp... -- People get steam treatments all day long on hair and skin so why would a little water be so bad?????? And oh yea, there are some heat protectants that contain water too...

I would check the instruction manual for your flat iron. My Solia says that damp hair is ok. I would think a barely damp hair would be fine if it's ceramic/tourmaline. Still with a serum on top of course ;)

PGirl

Thank you ladies soooo much for dropping the science! I'm getting closer (as in, it's actually maybe could sorta be a possibility) considering using heat, and I must admit, it's been a lot of the solid information you ladies have generously shared on this thread and others, along with noticing some aspects of my hair that makes me think I'll be able to be lighthanded.... :yep:

:circle: Amazing! This was my 1st time originating a thread and I had no idea a simple question could turn into such a learning experience. Thanks for all of your input.

gymfreak336

I think that like everything, everythang ain't for everybody but with knowledge, you can atleast try something out the right way and then go from there. Heat is also benefical for people with low porosity ( within limits of course)

JustKiya

I think that like everything, everythang ain't for everybody but with knowledge, you can atleast try something out the right way and then go from there. Heat is also benefical for people with low porosity ( within limits of course)

One of the things that settled me, is that I have a plan in place for dealing with heat damaged hair. :lachen: So that risk, while still in the forefront of my mind (knowledge notwithstanding), isn't as big of a roadblock as it previously was for me. :yep:

gymfreak336

One of the things that settled me, is that I have a plan in place for dealing with heat damaged hair. :lachen: So that risk, while still in the forefront of my mind (knowledge notwithstanding), isn't as big of a roadblock as it previously was for me. :yep:

I feel that way about everything now. I was letting my pre-LHCF experience run my life. That is one reason why I colored my hair. I wanted to dye it and I did. I haven't had any breakage or splits ends from it either. Did I still take a risk, yes, but I have the understanding of the actual process and of hair to deal with it afterwards.

SparklingFlame

Can I have the cliff notes?

Did we scientifically prove that flat ironing is direct or not? :lol:

I stopped reading the thread and got lost.

anon123

2) the temperature thresholds of dimethicone and cyclomethicone are far greater than the temperature of a far infrared heated tool. The "damage" that occurs from this tool is from novices constantly running the tool over the hair, thusly increasing the temperature of the hair beyond the protectant's threshold and then breaking down into the hair's temperature threshold.

So one or two passes of a "true" ceramic/tourmaline/silver heated tool at a reasonable temp (350 or less generally speaking) will not damage the hair. It's when you start dealing with other factors (human error, or previously damaged hair) that you start to grey up the issue...

Hope this makes sense :)

Okay, so then going over a section 3 times in one go might be bad but if you flat ironed once going over a section once or twice and then went back and started over and did that again, it wouldn't be so bad, right?

Can I have the cliff notes?

Did we scientifically prove that flat ironing is direct or not?

I stopped reading the thread and got lost.

For ceramic flat irons only,it is direct in that it actually touches the hair, but not direct in, um, a molecular way cuz it uses infrared heat. That's the best I can understand it.

Wait a minute, whoth is "sparkling flame"? First flat ironing is indirect heat, now this. I can only take so much in one day.

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

Okay, so then going over a section 3 times in one go might be bad but if you flat ironed once going over a section once or twice and then went back and started over and did that again, it wouldn't be so bad, right?

For ceramic flat irons only,it is direct in that it actually touches the hair, but not direct in, um, a molecular way cuz it uses infrared heat. That's the best I can understand it.

Wait a minute, whoth is "sparkling flame"? First flat ironing is indirect heat, now this. I can only take so much in one day.
:giggle:
Thanks for the Cliff Notes!