Question for Naturals

natstar

Wonderstar-I LOVE your hair.

For me, I'm a bit over it cause my hair just aint growing and it's on the fine side. The excitement is sorta gone. :perplexed

adw425

I was not excited about it at first because it was awful -- dry, coarse, dense, matted straw. However, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, it gets longer, shinier, thicker, silkier and I love it more every day. There are days that I am just in awe that this is my hair -- this hair on my head, mine...because I did not believe it was possible again. I say again because I had beautiful hair before I relaxed at 14.5 years old and I did transition at least three times prior to the last one in 2003 and they were not successful. The last was not successful (it was hellish; hair was, as stated above, just simply awful -- I broke big rake combs -- but I just refused to relax again for any reason) until I discovered LHCF in 2005 and every day is like hair Christmas (when I wake up every morning with silky, shiny, tangle-free, hydrated hair, it is a gift) and I mean that. I dated a guy a few years back and that relationship was an honest-to-goodness three-year honeymoon and that is kind of what I am experiencing with my hair -- still on the hair honeymoon (smile).

Last edited:

Nonie

How many of you have lost that excitement that you had when you first became natural. I've been natural almost 6 years and I remember the first two years being so excited about my hair, almost like being on a honeymoon with it. Well fast-forward 4 years later and I love my hair, but the excitement is just not there anymore, to me it's just hair and I try to find the quickest styles that will last the longest. I guess I'm just comfortable with my hair now :ohwell:, how do you ladies feel?

Oh I absolutely love my hair. I have loved it even more when I started to understand it and to realize it can grow. For years I sported a 3-inch TWA because I didn't really know how to get it to grow. I combed it dry because I didn't know any better. I only made it to about 5 inches when I had a jheri curl then years later after being natural again, i made that length when it was relaxed. I transitioned in braids and have never looked back. My dream has always been to have long hair. Not flowing hair, just long hair that I can style in many ways. Right now my idol and hair twin (though she doesn't know it) is Aijo aka Kemi. I adore that girl's hair the way some people adore celebrities that I have to watch that I don't start worshipping her... No, seriously! I would kill to have her length. I also love that she could live in braids and twists just like me and that she can do so much with them. When I get to that length, no one will be able to tell me nuffin!

I have been natural more years in my life than I've been relaxed and I am still not bored with my hair. I don't think I'll ever be. Unless it stops growing at a length where I can't do much with it, then I might get bored. But as long as I can get it to where I can wear a puff and as long as I can braid and twist, and as long as there are still things I haven't tried style-wise, then I don't think I'll get bored. If I can live in braids for 2 years straight and never get restless (I actually look forward to spending quality time alone with my hair where I curl up with a movie and redo braids w/o getting on others' nerves with my HIH disease), then how can I be bored with a texture that can be worn in so many ways when not in braids or twists? Not to mention all the styling options I have when in braids or twists!

Last edited:

chocolate01

Yeah the excitement is long gone for me as well. I will remain natural but I just don't feel the same way I felt 3 years ago.

carib_n_curly

I've been natural since birth but only now I'm in love with it:kiss2:.

same here me and my hair have a love affair that won't quit.
today i rocked a puff and i kept looking in the shop windows so much i almost fell down,i tripped over this womans foot and i didn't realize my friend had walked so far ahead me.
i mean anything that gave me a reflection i was like:kissing4::gorgeous::afro: to my hair.

i don't think i could not be excited but just not all the time like now.

~~HoneyComb~~

same here me and my hair have a love affair that won't quit.
today i rocked a puff and i kept looking in the shop windows so much i almost fell down,i tripped over this womans foot and i didn't realize my friend had walked so far ahead me.
i mean anything that gave me a reflection i was like:kissing4::gorgeous::afro: to my hair.

i don't think i could not be excited but just not all the time like now.

That's so cute!

MonPetite

I'm at the 6 month mark. I'm still finding products to get the look I want. Now that I've mastered the 4b fro...I want to master defining my 3c/4a ringlies....

I do know, that I will always in enjoy my future long natural hair because I'm one of those ladies who wears a different style EVERYDAY, who keeps boxes of different hair accessories and looks to the past and other cultures for new ideas. Case in point: I wore my hair in the geisha style for a good minute when I was a long-haired texlaxed gal.

Right now, having to rely solely on accessories is a bummer, being used to changing things up with my own hair on a DAILY basis. But...it will be worth it.

I can't wait to have hair long enough to hold some kanazashi! :lick:

SEMO

Side note and maybe people may not like me for saying it but.....i am new to LHCF but boy can i see the difference between here and NP! You would be crucified over there for a thread like this (a vibe which i am not crazy about at NP) but in the same breath over there i am motivated to stay natural while for some reason when i read threads like this i feel slightly discouraged even when I have no desire to relax, can't imagine how i would feel if it did have that desire. But i am getting hooked on LHCF so it won't stop me from lurking, its been very informative!

The bolded is the main reason I will always prefer LHCF. I went over to NP yesterday for the first time in many months and it was too intense to me. To be honest, I think it's silly to lock a thread b/c someone asked for tips on flat ironing or how to increase the formation of their curls.

IDK, I was never really excited about my hair, but I do love it.
I think that once my hair grows to the length where I can pull off a low puff or some different styles, maybe I will be excited. :yep:

honesty

The bolded is the main reason I will always prefer LHCF. I went over to NP yesterday for the first time in many months and it was too intense to me. To be honest, I think it's silly to lock a thread b/c someone asked for tips on flat ironing or how to increase the formation of their curls.

Yeah i had not been over there in forever and I was caught off guard by some of the censorship at first, i even started a thread on it I am the type that just have to speak my mind, trying to not offend anyone along the way...which has still gotten me in trouble in the past, lol) But the responses from the thread helped me to see the reasons behind the censorship. But I must say i do feel motivated to be nappy and be proud when i visit that site but i still respect the decisions of others to use heat, relaxers, etc. Whatever works for you!

CurleeDST

i want styles with pizzaz.

How many of you have lost that excitement that you had when you first became natural. I've been natural almost 6 years and I remember the first two years being so excited about my hair, almost like being on a honeymoon with it. Well fast-forward 4 years later and I love my hair, but the excitement is just not there anymore, to me it's just hair and I try to find the quickest styles that will last the longest. I guess I'm just comfortable with my hair now :ohwell:, how do you ladies feel?

Cichelle

I'm still loving it and excited about it, even though my haircare routine is pretty basic, not much to it. It's only been almost three years since my big chop though. And I have to say, I've had my moments of utter frustration, too.

chickory_bee

I used to be so excited, but lately, I the thrill is gone. I was struggling this weekend, as I had to wash my hair, but then I looked at a picture of my hair straight, and realized how close I am to my goal, and how healthy it looks, so I was re-inspired...But it is a constant struggle.

KweenBeeDiva

I'm bored with it, and when I'm bored, the scissors come out:nono:

So to prevent cutting, I do braids and weaves. Once I take them out, I'm amazed by the length, which keeps me excited for about tw-three months. Then I weave/braid again.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
5 years and every time I hit the street and am assaulted with head after head of see-thru hair on the streets of DC. I get even more excited each day.

I love to wash my hair, play with my hair, see my hair in pictures...

I lurve my naps baby.

InnerSoul

I am just beginning.. so I am still in the honeymoon phase. Maybe when I get to my hair goal (length APL) then I will get over it and keep it twisted up or start flat ironing for a different look.

InnerSoul

5 years and every time I hit the street and am assaulted with head after head of see-thru hair on the streets of DC. I get even more excited each day.

I love to wash my hair, play with my hair, see my hair in pictures...

I lurve my naps baby.

agreeing with the bolded.. I can't keep my hands out of my texture!!!!

~~HoneyComb~~

[quote=KweenBeeDiva;4377517]I'm bored with it, and when I'm bored, the scissors come out:nono:

So to prevent cutting, I do braids and weaves. Once I take them out, I'm amazed by the length, which keeps me excited for about tw-three months. Then I weave/braid again.[/quote]

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to prevent, I've done it twice in my natural journey. I'm on a journey to grow out my hair as long as possible. Don't know if I'll make it....

CurleeDST

To me PUFFS are boring and so are braids. If I am not too careful I start looking like my 6 year old and I do not want that. Wash and go's are convenient BUT it is the same ol' same ol. Where are the dazzling precision cuts, flip this way,curl that way, etc.

I am also not as creative as most with natural hair which is just part of my own problem.