hair stuck to scalp after relaxer!

jtsupanova

Help I don't know what to do. I just got a relaxer today at the salon and now my edges are hard stuck to my head and have a strange flim on them.I washed them once to see if it would help.When I washed I could put a comb through it but now that its dry its stuck to my head again. Should I just leave it alone until my next wash or run to the bss tommorow get some neatralizing shampoo and wash it again?

PassionFruit

its been a while but the only time Ive had that happen to me is when I had chemical burns... It took a few days for me to realize they were burns though but when the scabbign starts, its painfully obvious...

If it were me, Id immediately treat my edges with ann antibiotic like Neosporin for a few days and then follow up with scalp massages with a carrier oil... I wouldnt wash it for about a week because the wetting would go against the healing process

jtsupanova

Thanks for the advice but what about the flim on my hair? I just feel like there may still be some relaxer there...

Traycee

I've been there before.....And the only times it has happened to me is when I go to salons.....

When it heals it may scab.. do not pick scabs
Chemical burns:nono:

100% Aloe Vera Gel :yep:

MidBackCrisis

Help I don't know what to do. I just got a relaxer today at the salon and now my edges are hard stuck to my head and have a strange flim on them.I washed them once to see if it would help.When I washed I could put a comb through it but now that its dry its stuck to my head again. Should I just leave it alone until my next wash or run to the bss tommorow get some neatralizing shampoo and wash it again?

I've had the same problem. More than once and it wasnt a good feeling. This is one of the many reasons why I havent had a perm in almost a year, (with the exception of a month ago) Just as the other ladies have already said, scabs are going to form. Do not pick them, just moisturize. As for the film on your hair, Im not sure what that could be. Just results of a bad perm maybe? You will be alright mama.

Mestiza

I would definitely wash my hair w/ a neutralizing shampoo to be on the safe side. ITA w/ what the other posters have said. What you're experiencing could be due to being burned by the relaxer. That has happened to me in that past. Aloe Vera Gel, Tea Tree Oil or a topical Antibiotic medication could help if that is the case. I hope that it heals, quickly.

Extremus

I had this happen the last time I got a relaxer. I did nothing to it, but my daily routine, and it went away.

But if you want to be on the safe side, use Aloe Vera gel and a neutralizing shampoo, if you feel there's some leftover relaxer.

Starian

Yep, sounds like the first stage of a chemical burn. :(

It's been a long time since I've had one, but I usually put vaseline on the spot and keep it bunned until the next wash day. The vaseline prevents my hair from sticking to it too badly and by wash day it's a soft scab that just washes away with the rest of my scalp dirt.

jtsupanova

Thanks ladies, I put some neosporin on it.I will wash it tommorow but I hate to ruin my rollerset oh well :/ The perm burned like a motha and to top it off the stylist poured vinager on my hair which set my scalp on fire! I hope it dosent scab its on my hair line on both sides and can't be hidden easily. Neway let me stop venting thanks again ladies for all your help.

malibu4590

Thanks ladies, I put some neosporin on it.I will wash it tommorow but I hate to ruin my rollerset oh well :/ The perm burned like a motha and to top it off the stylist poured vinager on my hair which set my scalp on fire! I hope it dosent scab its on my hair line on both sides and can't be hidden easily. Neway let me stop venting thanks again ladies for all your help.

Your stylist did WHAT? That almost tops the story of the girl whose stylist based her scalp with Listerine before a relaxer.

Please stop letting these folks injure ya'll like that just because they claim they are "professionals". :(

I hope your scalp recovers from that trauma soon.

angenoir

Your stylist did WHAT? That almost tops the story of the girl whose stylist based her scalp with Listerine before a relaxer.

Please stop letting these folks injure ya'll like that just because they claim they are "professionals". :(

I hope your scalp recovers from that trauma soon.

Listerine? No way!! :nono:

OP - Sounds like a chemical burn I remember having that one or two times. Treat it gently, don't pick scabs and dont try to force of the sticking hair.

PassionFruit

all of thr oils ( Vit E, Castor, etc) will work great but not before she puts an antibiotic on there... Neosporin or Triple antibiotic cream are good choices for that.. at least for a few days....

Vit E will help prevent scarring...the others will help promote growth & skin rejuvenation as well

Rapunzel2B

http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/burns.htm
NATURAL PRESCRIPTION FOR BURNS

Gently splashing apple cider vinegar on a sunburn or any other type of burn every few hours can help reduce pain
Tea-tree oil, which is available in health food stores, is useful for relieving pain and promoting healing. It's applied topically.
Aloe vera, squeezed directly from the plaint or used in the form of a gel, can relieve pain.
A vitamin E capsule stuck with a pin and squeezed onto the burn can help the healing process and prevent scarring.
You can use aspirin or NSAIDs to relieve the pain.

gn1g

That's what I do and then put some moisturizing lotion on.

MizAvalon

Yep, sounds like the first stage of a chemical burn. :(

It's been a long time since I've had one, but I usually put vaseline on the spot and keep it bunned until the next wash day. The vaseline prevents my hair from sticking to it too badly and by wash day it's a soft scab that just washes away with the rest of my scalp dirt.

This is what I have done when this has happened to me in the past. It will loosen up and just wash away the next time you wash your hair. Just be gentle until then.:yep:

neonbright

Put some good moisturizer conditioner on the hair stuck to your head, just slab it on and sit with a plastic cap on. Rinse and roller wrap, I have it done to me before. I didn't read the whole thread good but that is why I base with a thick base on my edges before the relaxer.

Update on basing: I was asked a question on the basing before the relaxer, because my edges are sensitive, I put a nice layer, not globs on my edges and a little extra in front of the edges.

Last edited:

HappyHairDreams

its been a while but the only time Ive had that happen to me is when I had chemical burns... It took a few days for me to realize they were burns though but when the scabbign starts, its painfully obvious...

If it were me, Id immediately treat my edges with ann antibiotic like Neosporin for a few days and then follow up with scalp massages with a carrier oil... I wouldnt wash it for about a week because the wetting would go against the healing process

Yep, this is what happened to me when once when i got a relaxer and it was stuck to my head - chemical burn. I think the residue is white blood cells from your scalp where it was burned...kinda like when you scab your knee and there's a white liquid that hardens.

HappyHairDreams

I really really think you should base your scalp with vasaline thoroughly the next time you relax.

Lute

O_O

OH HELL NO!!! I'll be praying for your fast recovery. I hope you never go back to that stylist again.

Why would someone pour vinager on someones hair. This sounds like this woman needs to lose her liscnese..She should not be doing hair at all.

BrockStar

Oh no! This happened to me when I was relaxed more than once:nono: I did a neutralizing shampoo...Like you, I was scared there was still relaxer left in it so I think it's the safest bet. I'm sorry this happened to you!

Qualitee

It's a chemical burn on your scalp and the plasma in your body trys to protect your body from infection. Plasma is sticky so that's why your hair is stuck to your scalp

thefineprint

Do not EVER go back to this stylist. What was she thinking?!?!?!

Lucky's Mom

I remember this happening to me back in the day.

OH the pain.

Aloe Vera or jojoba oil could help.

Sorry for your issue:getwell::fairy:

stacy

I am sorry this happened to you. It does sound like a chemical burn and your scalp is oozing, trying to heal itself. I would go to a minor medical facility if one is available in your area or your regular physician if you can get a quick appointment. Get professional treatment. You do not yet know how serious the damage is to your hair and scalp. Keep your medical documentation. Hair stylists should have insurance. You may want to look into having her pay for your medical treatment. As black women we sometimes just say, oh well and never take action when it comes to abuse of our hair/scalp. You paid for her expertise, not chemical burns. Just my opinion.

Ballerina_Bun

if you have a digital camera, I would take a picture to document the damage to your scalp and make sure it's dated and timed. Save your receipts from the date of service. Write down EVERYTHING that was done/performed during the service ... The "stylist" should provide some treatments free of charge, that is if you even want to go back for even that.

For now .. the ladies had some good advice. Carolyn Gray has a scalp oil that is good for this- " Healthier Hair In A Bottle" . I don't know if she is still selling her products. I would check out the ingredients and make your own if she isn't selling it. It's very soothing after something like this. Add a little tea tree oil to it and some emu oil, if you are not vegan or .... The neosporin might be best until the scabs/crust is gone.

When I used to relax, I used to apply this or my own mix that was similar after I relaxed, that is after I conditioned following the relaxer/touch-up. No scalp problems whatsoever - EVER!

Sorry this happened to you. Good luck!