Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse?

Anyone here had good results and know when to apply? Is it after shampooing but before DCing? or after all of it like a honey rinse? I think sistaslick had an article about this but I can't find it anywhere. Advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :spinning:

ajoyfuljoy

I do it after my DC and before my final rinse. It really helps to close my cuticle and I feel an amazing difference in my hair, very slippery, half the volume (or full/frizziness), it's great.

For me, regular ole' Heinz AC works better than Braggs organic.

*Muffin*

I do apple cider vinegar rinses. I make mine by first boiling some distilled water and adding dried Rosemary leaves. Then I take the hot Rosemary water and I add a tablespoon or two of honey and let it dissolve, and then I add the ACV and let the mix cool. I rinse my hair with it after I deep condition, and my hair looks and feels shiny and soft afterwards. Make sure not to add too much ACV, though. Doing this can make your hair smell strongly of vinegar.

mochatrini

I actually just did my first ACV rinse on Sunday and my hair felt great after and was shiny.... I made an ACV mixture with rosemary oil (1 cup + 10 drops oil) and when I actually made the rinse I used one cup of distilled water with one tablespoon of the ACV rosemary mixture and I poured over my hair after I rinsed out my DC after I poured the ACV mix I followed with a cool water rinse. When I had finished drying my hair it was full of body...I guess there are so many variations but the end results are generally the same:yep::yep: Go For It!!!!

Thanks - ladies definitely will be trying this tomorrow. May I ask why add rosemary to the mix? I use the EO in my scalp massage oil mixture - is it for the same reason - growth and stimulation?

nappity

Before a Deep condition to clarify my hair of any silicones that couldn't be washed out my my conditioner wash- I just pour the bottle over my head- with my head tilted back in the shower until my hair is saturated. Then rinse- little spirally curls galore!

Yes the ACV bottle of Heinz goes into the shower with me. Is a good thing My S.O. travels as much as I do

locabouthair

i tried acv rinses twice. they give your hair shine but man they tangled my hair like no one's business. just make sure u diulte it enough to minimize tangles.

daniemoy

i tried acv rinses twice. they give your hair shine but man they tangled my hair like no one's business. just make sure u diulte it enough to minimize tangles.

Try this mix. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might help with tangles. I found it on spark people

2 Tbsp grapeseed oil*
2 Tbsp vegetable glycerine*
1 cup filtered water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Whip all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Massage into freshly shampooed hair and scalp. Leave on for up to 15 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. Unused conditioner must be tightly sealed and refrigerated, and will keep for 3-4 days.

AKA-Tude

I do an ACV (just plain ole water + acv) after a baking soda wash.
Then I DC w/hemp condish.

Follow-up w/ air-dry + Lacio-Lacio + CSI + flat iron.

My hair has NEVER bounced more!!!

tinkat

I have my baking soda and ACV waiting for me when I take this sewin out...I never done one before.

ChocoKitty

I use ACV before shampooing and conditioning. I also spritz it on my edges and scalp at night before bed. It makes my waves behave. I mix equal parts of Braggs ACV & honey then add distilled water to the mix in a 32 oz spray bottle. It also makes my hair full and fluffy!:grin:

Nonie

does this make your hair any stronger and stop any breakage ??????????????

ACV smooths out the hair cuticles so they are lying flat like fish scales. Hard water and shampoos make the cuticles stand up and if you can picture what that's like, then you can see how cuticles on different strands can catch on cuticles on other strands and lead to tangles. Also when cuticles are raised, they are split ends waiting to happen because they snag on something (another hair) and get ripped out. Or when you comb, they comb rips them out. So smoothing out your strands - which happens only if your hair has an acidic pH, hence the reason we use the acidic vinegar - reduces the chance of your hair developing weakness that lead to breakage.

I do my ACV rinse at the very end of my wash, because I want my hair cuticles to be closed as the last step of my wash. I mix ACV (about a 1/4 cup) in a basin of water (I have a filter, but when I didn't it was just regular tap water) into which I've added 20 drops of lavender EO, 20 drops of rosemary EO . (When I have them, I usually add 10 drops of geranium EO and a few drops of liquid sage.) I then dunk my head in the solution and massage my scalp while just letting my hair get a good soak in that. The fact that my head is hanging down and I'm giving it a good massage I believe is great for circulation and hence delivery of nutrients to follicles. Also this massage ensures that no conditioner residue that could cause itches is left on my scalp. My head feels oh so clean when I'm done, and my hair smells so clean. This is usually the highlight of my wash day: the ACV rinse.

Last edited:

Determined22

Today is a wash day for me, so I think I'm going to try this. I have a bottle of Braggs that I need to use anyway, since I couldn't stomach the taste of it...

ajoyfuljoy

ACV smooths out the hair cuticles so they are lying flat like fish scales. Hard water and shampoos make the cuticles stand up and if you can picture what that's like, then you can see how cuticles on different strands can catch on cuticles on other strands and lead to tangles. Also when cuticles are raised, they are split ends waiting to happen because they snag on something (another hair) and get ripped out. Or when you comb, they comb rips them out. So smoothing out your strands - which happens only if your hair has an acidic pH, hence the reason we use the acidic vinegar - reduces the chance of your hair developing weakness that lead to breakage.

I do my ACV rinse at the very end of my wash, because I want my hair cuticles to be closed as the last step of my wash. I mix ACV (about a 1/4 cup) in a basin of water (I have a filter, but when I didn't it was just regular tap water) into which I've added 20 drops of lavender EO, 20 drops of rosemary EO . (When I have them, I usually add 10 drops of geranium EO and a few drops of liquid sage.) I then dunk my head in the solution and massage my scalp while just letting my hair get a good soak in that. The fact that my head is hanging down and I'm giving it a good massage I believe is great for circulation and hence delivery of nutrients to follicles. Also this massage ensures that no conditioner residue that could cause itches is left on my scalp. My head feels oh so clean when I'm done, and my hair smells so clean. This is usually the highlight of my wash day: the ACV rinse.

Great, perfect explanation! ACV rinse is also my highlight and my secret weapon.

locabouthair

Try this mix. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might help with tangles. I found it on spark people

2 Tbsp grapeseed oil*
2 Tbsp vegetable glycerine*
1 cup filtered water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Whip all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Massage into freshly shampooed hair and scalp. Leave on for up to 15 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. Unused conditioner must be tightly sealed and refrigerated, and will keep for 3-4 days.

thanks!!!!

locabouthair

hey nonie! since airdrying doesnt leave the cuticles flat, does that mean that combing airdried hair can cause splits?

*Muffin*

does this make your hair any stronger and stop any breakage ??????????????

ACV (especially unfiltered) is high in nutrients and pectin and will impart these benefits to your hair. Also ACV helps dissolve product build-up and excess oil, leaving hair soft and shiny.

Hey quick update :grin: - I decided to the the ACV rinse following this dilution:

2 cups distilled boiled water
1/4 cup ACV
8 drops rosemary EO
2 tbsps honey

My hair turned out slick, clean, and silky definitely a fan of the ACV rinse. I didn't have any problem with tangles. Yay
:drunk:

Thanks for all the advice ladies :yep:

Determined22

So tonight I did the ACV rinse for the first time. I did 1/2 cup ACV diluted with 1 quart distilled water. I did it after my DC w/Miss Key 10 en 1 and now I'm airdrying. Immediately after rinsing, during my detangle, I noticed a difference - there was nothing to detangle! As my hair is drying I'm noticing that its not as big and poofy as it normally is either. I'll definitely be adding this to my regimen.