Why is my hair splitting.........at the ROOTS?????!!???

JustKiya

Because I have two toned hair (5 inches of bleached/dyed hair, 2 inches of VERY dark brown roots, all of it henna'd) I can tell when my hair breaks/sheds - what end is which. I've been noticing lately that I'm getting split TOPS - as in the undyed portion (the bit closet to my scalp) is splitting in two!

Sometimes, a shed hair will have a tiny 'sliver' of hair split off of it, that I can pull off. Sometimes, a hair will come out that 'seems' to be shed (because it has a lot of dark brown hair on one end) but after taking a look at it, I can see that the root ends tapers - because it's split off. Sometimes, a hair will come out, and it's obviously split almost in half - all of this at the ROOT!

Has anyone seen this before? I did a search, but didn't see anything like this.....

I read that using too much protien on your hair could cause splits in odd places - but I've only used protien ONCE on my hair (the lovely 'natural' relaxer of coconut milk & lime) and I was seeing these splits before then.

Could the henna on my 'stronger' virgin hair be overloading it/making it TOO strong and causing splits? My hair is naturally wiry - it's never heard of being 'limp' unless it's wet and slathered in conditioner.

I'm not freaking out (just yet) but - I AM concerned. I mean - if my hair is splitting at the roots, I'll lose ALL of the length, not just a tiny bit...and there is certainly no possbility of 'trimming' out the splits. I've accepted that most of the dyed portion (at the BOTTOM) is going to break off/be trimmed off - but - interstingly enough - I get very FEW splits on the dyed/fryed/brittle ends of my hair - it tends to just break off.

What I do to my hair:

I'll start with styling - I wear two strand twists on a weekly basis, and do all my 'fun stuff' on the weekends. Basically, my hair isn't getting hardly ANY manipulation during the week, and it's freshly conditioned/detangled on the weekends when I twist it, so I'm DEFINITELY treating it as close to old lace as I can. I will confess to 'stroking' my twists on a regular basis - but I don't pull them hard, and usually I'm pulling oil down them.

Products:
I henna weekly, using premixed stuff I have in my freezer. The premix is Mehendi's BAQ Henna, water, and a TINY bit of red wine. I add honey, a little Amla/Shikakai/Cayenne Oil that I made, and conditioner to it after it thaws and before it's on my head.

I deep condition/cowash with Vo5/White Rain with a little honey & ASC oil in it right after I henna - so I'm only cowashing once a week.

I moisturize/seal in the moisture with Oyin's Whipped Pudding and use ORS Loc & Twist gel on my hair - once again, right after I deep condition.

Once or twice a week in the evenings, I'll do a scalp massage with either SweetSuccess oil, or a little of the ASC oil, and I usually give my hair a good rinsing the next morning.

I sleep in a silk scarf.....
I think that's about it.

Any Wisdom?

Last edited:

Soul♥Flower

When I wore my hair natural, I started to get those kind of spits after I dyed my hair. It was odd b/c I had never seern a split end before, and since the split wasn't at the end, I thought my hair was falling out!:lol:

JustKiya

rinygirl6 said:
When I wore my hair natural, I started to get those kind of spits after I dyed my hair. It was odd b/c I had never seern a split end before, and since the split wasn't at the end, I thought my hair was falling out!:lol:

Your hair split at the root - not at the line between the undyed hair and the dyed hair??? That's soooo interesting!! I dyed my hair back in May though, and I'm just now starting to see these.... hm hm hmmmm......

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Girl you made the hairs on my arms stand at attention...I've never heard of nor seen hair split at the roots!! :eek:

It could be severe "trichorhexxis nodosa" which is hair breakage. After a bad relaxer I suffered breakge approx an inch or two from the root, its hard to say what it is though,, your best to see a derm about this. Are u positive its right at the hair root and not a quarter or maybe even less than an inch away from the root?

Soul♥Flower

nappywomyn said:
Your hair split at the root - not at the line between the undyed hair and the dyed hair??? That's soooo interesting!! I dyed my hair back in May though, and I'm just now starting to see these.... hm hm hmmmm......

I don't know if there is any correlation though, but yeah it was split then brown hair, then red hair color. I just assumed it was from me dying my hair. When I first dyed my hair I ended up dying it twice the same week b/c the first color didn't take well. I didn't take care of my colored hair either, I didn't keep it oiled/moisterized like I should have. Mainly I just wet it in the morning and put conditioner in to tame it.

That was my experience with this weird phenomena.

It could be severe "trichorhexxis nodosa" which is hair breakage. After a bad relaxer I suffered breakge approx an inch or two from the root, its hard to say what it is though,, your best to see a derm about this. Are u positive its right at the hair root and not a quarter or maybe even less than an inch away from the root?

:lol::lol::lol: at my response back then, this was soon after i joined lol, still very much living back at home with mommy lol.
not bad :look:.

tuffCOOKiE

I didn't see this detail but apologies if I missed it:

Is this in every spot of your hair? Like around your hairline, then in the back, then at the crown?

virtuenow

:lol::lol::lol: at my response back then, this was soon after i joined lol, still very much living back at home with mommy lol.
not bad :look:.

@SerenavanderWoodsen *Family Fued claps* good answer. You were right on point. It is trichorrhexis nodosa, I have no doubt. That is designated specifically for the kind of damage that breaks right at the root. You need to look this up @wednesday, and do not give up. I had a case of it last year from using extreme heat in my leave out. I had it again this year right at my edges too from micro braids. My hair has really turned around. But believe me, it was breaking off before it could even grow out my scalp. It takes time to turn your hair back around but it can be done.

Last edited:

ajoke

virtuenow said:
@SerenavanderWoodsen *Family Fued claps* good answer. You were right on point. It is trichorrhexis nodosa, I have no doubt. That is designated specifically for the kind of damage that breaks right at the root. You need to look this up @wednesday, and do not give up. I had a case of it last year from using extreme heat in my leave out. I had it again this year right at my edges too from micro braids. My hair has really turned around. But believe me, it was breaking off before it could even grow out my scalp. It takes time to turn your hair back around but it can be done.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you turn your hair around?

virtuenow

If you don't mind sharing, how did you turn your hair around?

I cut it. The only way to get rid of it is to cut the damage off and let the hair grow back out. At first I planned to cut a little off each month, in small trims. I wanted to keep the length, but I got tired of that and just chopped off the damage. ON top of that, giving it time and gentle care (weekly mild to moderate protein dc's). Most of the hair in that particular area is damaged. You can leave it alone, but you will see alot of breakage-- and what looks like thinning. It will take time to grow those spots out.

Here are the notes I took on Trichorrexhis nodosa:

Trichorrhexis nodosa
Trichorrhexis nodosa is a problem in which thickened or weak points (nodes) along the hair shaft cause your hair to break off easily.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Certain things you do to your hair -- such as blow-drying, over-brushing, perming, or excessive chemical use -- appear to trigger the condition.

Symptoms
Your hair may appear patchy or like it's not growing.
In African-Americans, looking at the scalp area using a microscope shows that the hair breaks off at the scalp area before it grows long.

In Caucasians, the problem often appears at the end of a hair shaft in the form of split ends, thinning hair, and hair tips that look white.

Studies: This study is the first formal comparison of the cystine-rich proteins in the various racial groups and shows that there is no abnormality in their distribution in black African hair shafts compared to the other ethnic groups. Therefore, the excessive structural damage observed in the African hair shafts is consistent with physical trauma (resulting from grooming) rather than an inherent weakness due to any structural abnormality. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15810890

Treatment
Avoid excessively harsh shampoos, but always use hair conditioners.

Cutting back on or eliminating the use of chemical straighteners or permanents and direct heat on the hair will usually remedy the problem at home, as will brushing and combing more gently with soft-bristled brushes and wider-toothed combs.

Cessation of these treatments may require 2 to 4 years for the hair to resume to normal.

Other traits:
The first, which usually strikes people of African descent or other people with kinkier hair types, shows itself with nodes or swellings near the scalp, making it seem as it the hair simply won’t grow. But the reality is that the hair is growing – it simply keeps breaking off before it can achieve any visible length.

Two types distinguished:

The acquired form of trichorrhexis nodosa comes in two types: proximal (where the hair breaks close to the scalp) and distal (where the hair breaks farther out). Proximal trichorrhexis nodosa is common in people of African descent. Those with a genetic predisposition to this have hair that becomes more fragile in response to hair straightening, braiding, tight headwear, or harsh brushing. Distal trichorrhexis nodosa is seen mostly in people of European and Asian descent. The hair becomes more fragile with prolonged sun exposure, immersion in saltwater, or mechanical trauma.

Both acquired forms of trichorrhexis nodosa will disappear within about 4 years, if the trauma to the hair shafts is stopped. In the meantime, cream rinses and protein conditioners are helpful. http://www.drgreene.com/qa/trichorrhexis-invaginata-and-trichorrhexis-nodosa

Last edited:

wednesday

My hair is natural. I've been natural for 8 years and still never reached APL. I use heat once a year. I keep my hair in 2 strand twists when i'm not in a braided PS. I wash and DC every 2 weeks. I feel like i have tried EVERYTHING. My hair is very fine 4b/c and low density eternally CBL.

@wednesday One thing to look at on these hairs... get under a bright light, like a bathroom light and examine the ends of the short hairs... if the ends are blunt, it's breakage...
if the ends are tapered, sort of pointy, its just hair growth, not all hair grows at the same rate on your head, you'll have baby sized hairs and long hairs all on the same head...

last week a guy noticed the little hairs around my hairline standing up and I saw him looking at them and he told me I have little hairs standing straight up :lol:, they're mostly new hairs and not breakage. I probably looked like a little alien to him lol.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Sorry to hear about this OP. It may be the dye/henna combo. I thought you couldn't dye over henna hair or henna dyed hair. I may have read it in the really long henna threads here. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

bebezazueta said:
Sorry to hear about this OP. It may be the dye/henna combo. I thought you couldn't dye over henna hair or henna dyed hair. I may have read it in the really long henna threads here. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

The op was written over 5 years ago lolol.

Blame it on the Phablet

coyacoy

My hair is natural. I've been natural for 8 years and still never reached APL. I use heat once a year. I keep my hair in 2 strand twists when i'm not in a braided PS. I wash and DC every 2 weeks. I feel like i have tried EVERYTHING. My hair is very fine 4b/c and low density eternally CBL.

wednesday...just a suggestion...maybe try the komaza care hair analysis service. It is a little pricey -$65.00 but well worth every penny. There is a thread on it that I started and lots of ladies share their experience with it. The analysis might help you to pinpoint your issues and identify hair practices that may be working against you. Hth and good luck!

auparavant

LOL! Reading is fundamental. No more posts before noon.

That top in your siggy is cute.

I had it in some spots....yes, chemical damage...so I went nearly Cassie bald after a series of several chops. I'm presently a little longer than Halle Berry now lol! I hated to cut it but I was tired of struggling.

bebezazueta

auparavant said:
That top in your siggy is cute.

I had it in some spots....yes, chemical damage...so I went nearly Cassie bald after a series of several chops. I'm presently a little longer than Halle Berry now lol! I hated to cut it but I was tired of struggling.

It's a dress lady. Thank you!

virtuenow

@wednesday then something else is going on. Did you read my post on the trichorrhexis? Other forms of mechanical damage can cause this breakage. It could be as simple as using shampoos...or detangling...or its possible you have not found the right products yet. It took me 5-6 years into my natural journey to stop the cycle of breakage. I agree with whoever said to do the Komaza analysis. I just did mine and they helped to further crack the code on my breakage issues. It's worth it. Otherwise, share your regimen in more details, myself and some other ladies will surely offer some tips. ETA link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

Last edited: