Full & Healthy Crown & Edges Challenge 2012

30something

ADD ME! I'm so excited you started this. I truly ignore my crown. Sad thing is its the reason I even found this website

To Join Share with us (Required)
1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges.
My edges are really thick but my crown is the one with the problem. It only about an inch, thinner and drier then the rest of the hair.
2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas?
Sulfur, Castor Oil and EO blend and messages, moisturizing my crown.
3. What products do you plan on using?
Sulfur, Castor Oil and EO blend, moisturizer.
4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us?
Once a month
5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?
Yes Ma'am!

1. What questions do you have?
Will it fully fill in!? And is there hope for it to grow longer?
My crown has went down hill since I was like 16.. bald at one point. Now it has filled in using sulfur mix but I still having doubts at the potential of this spot

faithVA

@faithVA

Optional
Does anyone have any great Ayurvedic paste or even rinse recipes for stronger and thicker hair?

Anyone have any tips on creating oils using the ayurvedic powders. I have some olive oil that I would loveeee to use for this purpose. :yep:

I don't know anything about ayurvedic paste. But perhaps as the challenge goes on, there may be some discussion on this.

faithVA

ADD ME! I'm so excited you started this. I truly ignore my crown. Sad thing is its the reason I even found this website

My edges are really thick but my crown is the one with the problem. It only about an inch, thinner and drier then the rest of the hair.
Sulfur, Castor Oil and EO blend and messages, moisturizing my crown.
Sulfur, Castor Oil and EO blend, moisturizer.
Once a month
5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?
Yes Ma'am!

Will it fully fill in!? And is there hope for it to grow longer?
My crown has went down hill since I was like 16.. bald at one point. Now it has filled in using sulfur mix but I still having doubts at the potential of this spot

Welcome 20Something,

There have been others with success so we will believe that we can have success too. Hopefully in this thread we will share our findings so each one can make improvements.

Aggie

growinghealthyhair;147009653. What products do you plan on using? Ayurvedic Powders along with Clay (not sure which type yet). I have : Neem Burdock Root Methi Hibiscus Amla Henna Horsetail Marshmallow [COLOR=black said:
1. What questions do you have?[/COLOR]
Does anyone have any great Ayurvedic paste or even rinse recipes for stronger and thicker hair?

Anyone have any tips on creating oils using the ayurvedic powders. I have some olive oil that I would loveeee to use for this purpose. :yep:

2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers? Consistency is key. This is the most important thing i've learned so far!

As far as pastes are concerned, they are fairly easy to make and the beauty of them is that you can pretty much custom make them to meet your hair's needs. I see you have a few powders already in your arsenal - so start with what you have. Know what the powders are great for and custom them for your hair.

If you have fungal/dandruff issues, you know you can use the neem powder and if you wish you can add a few drops of essential oils designed for fungal/dandruff issues in the mix.

The pastes are generally whatever powder/s you will use with enough distilled water to make a yogurt-like consistency paste. If you are looking for hair growth, you can use a few drops of the infamous hair growth oil blend to it, etc... You can even add some type of base oil to your paste and even conditioners.

I loved experimenting with powders a while back and pretty much made the pastes according to what I feel my hair needed. You will need to know which powders are moisturizing, which are clarifying, and which have protein-like qualities in order to know what to mix together. There are a lot of ayurveda threads here that will help you along. You can do a quick search but I must warn you, they are very long threads.

I have never made an oil from my powders - I have always purchased them. You can send a quick PM to FlowinLocks. I think she made some at one point and is probably still making them. The best base oil used in ayurveda I believe is sesame oil. It has all the right properties for the ayurveda powder oils to come out just right.

Curly Lee

My edges are nonexistent. They have always been that way. My mother permed myhair when I was or and the yfell out. They haven't grown in since. I'm not even sure if it's possible to grow without steroids, or mn or something medical strength. Im going to try the natural method first. I'm sick of having to hide my edges, I want to wear ponies and buns.
My crown is shorter and more fragile than the rest of my hair. I don't even know where to begin to help it grow. I oil my scalp there but the hair is still so fragile. Maybe I'll wear twists, maybe

For the past month I've been using castor oil with rosemary oil. When this mixture runs out Ill be using JBCO. I'll reassess in June, and if I don't have any growth I'll use the essential oil mix that nonie used. So far my edges have thickened up a bit....I might be imagining things.

Honestly, I rarely check in often for challenges. I'll change this. I oil my edges every night so I'll check in every week or so. I'm a great cheerleader tho. :lol:

Optional
3. Starting Picture. I know some are sensitive about showing problem areas. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing a picture, please make sure you at least take 1 for future reference for comparison.

Please don't quote my pictures. Gracias.

The first pic is from a while back, the last pic is recent. Both sides of my hair are equally damaged.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I AM IN THIS!!!!! :)
My crown area is more fine than the rest of my hair and tends to break off more easily than the rest of my hair. I am starting to see a length difference because of this. :( Since I stopped relaxing my hair over a year and a half ago by scalp has continued to heal. It seems to be getting thicker but my edges still need some help.
Like my crown, my edges are more fine and break off with ease. They are still growing in but I would like for them to be thicker and stronger.

I will be applying castor oil more regular to these areas as well as taking my vitamins and being more gentle when detangling or styling these problem areas.

I don't plan on using a different set of products for these problem areas just the usual. Giovanni shampoo and conditioner, spritz with plain water, QB Aethiopika Butter as a moisturizer, and coconut/rice bran oil mix to seal. That herbal growth oil does sound interesting though.

Probably once a month.

Yep.

Optional
3. Starting Picture. I know some are sensitive about showing problem areas. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing a picture, please make sure you at least take 1 for future reference for comparison.

Will take a picture and update later.

prettybyrd

1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. My edges are thin but growing back. My crown and sides are thin as well.

2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas?I've been doing nightly scalp massages. There was a poster who mentioned making sure that when you massage you move the scalp. I swear, since doing this, I've seen the most results. Also, no brushing these areas. I will also be working out, to encourage circulation - well, and to also get into shape. :grin:

3. What products do you plan on using?I am using JBCO. I was using the growth EO blend, but the smell makes me queasy. While not a product, I am going to stop using heat for 2012, and hopefully, that will help too.

4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? Once a week. My classes resume in January, and I hope that I can check in that often.

5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?Yes, I am! I'm learning from falling here, personally. But whatever I know/learn, I'm more than willing to share.

Here are my pics.

Last edited:

reeko43

Great challenge! Please add me to the list. I am terrible at being consistent with posting on challenge threads. This is the only challenge I will join and put it in my siggy as a reminder.

I am thinning all along my edges but especially at my temples. The temple area on my right side has not shown any new growth in over a year and is almost bare. The left temple is not as bad but is definitely thinning.

Since a large part of my issue is hormonal, most of my work will be done from the inside. I will take a hair and multi vitamin. I will also limit carbs and sugar since it increases the symptoms of PCOS. I will also start reading up on ways to protect my edges. Last but not least I am going to see a dermatologist.

I plan to use Centrum multivitamin and GNC Hair Skin and Nails. I have some MT that I never used so I may mix that with castor oil for my edges a couple of times per week. I will also have to find a shampoo that will remove Dht from my scalp.

I will really try to post at least once per week.

yes

I will post pictures soon.

HanaKuroi

faithVA
Could we include nape? Is that stepping on toes? Can nape be considered the edge of your neck? I have issues there because of tying my cotton scarf there.
My edges are coming back after my summer affair with ecostyler and elastic headbands. My edges don't want to be tamed.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Curly Lee

I just got done oiling my edges and crown.
Sidenote: I think I'll see a dermatologist in January. I need to stop putting it off, I'm just scared they'll tell me there's nothing I can do about it.

ElizaBlue

I'm in...holding my spot until I come back with pics.

1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. Thinner than the rest of my hair but becoming more dense since I switch from box relaxer to Mizani.

2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas? Nightly scalp massages.

3. What products do you plan on using? Neem oil, Castor Oil and Mahabhringaraj Oil. Massaged in nightly. Spritz in the morning with Taliah Waajid Detangler and Twisted Sister Curyly Spray.

4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? Weekly or more.

Yep Yep!!!

Optional

1. What questions do you have? Is anyone else using Neem and if so how do you deal with lovely aroma during the day? What has been absolutely proven to work?

2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers? Patience

Last edited:

ladysaraii

I'm in...holding my spot until I come back with pics.

1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. Thinner than the rest of my hair but becoming more dense since I switch from box relaxer to Mizani.

2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas? Nightly scalp massages.

3. What products do you plan on using? Neem oil, Castor Oil and Mahabhringaraj Oil. Massaged in nightly. Spritz in the morning with Taliah Waajid Detangler and Twisted Sister Curyly Spray.

4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? Weekly or more.

Yep Yep!!!

Optional

1. What questions do you have? Is anyone else using Neem and if so how do you deal with lovely aroma during the day? What has been absolutely proven to work?

2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers? Patience

Im trying out neem/castor oil too. I'd like to use it on my edges each night. We'll see about the smell. Im hoping it will fade a bit by morning. Or maybe a few drops of some EO can help

greenandchic

ElizaBlue and ladysaraii - I know neem is anti-bacterial and anti fungal, but I didn't know it helps with hair growth, does it?

In terms of the smell, lavender and rosemary is good at covering it up (I've used it on my skin that way).

ladysaraii

greenandchic In the Dr Oz Indian secrets thread, people were saying it works. So hey, ive tried mn and oct, I can give neem a try

I made a mix of JBCO + Neem (less that half) and a few drops of rosemary EO

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
^^Thanks for the info, I'm going to try that recipe as well, I may need to go ahead and check out there thread.

reeko43

I just got done oiling my edges and crown.
Sidenote: I think I'll see a dermatologist in January. I need to stop putting it off, I'm just scared they'll tell me there's nothing I can do about it.

I undertstand being afraid. I think that is why I have not gone yet. However, I do realize that I may be missing out on a helpful treatment if there is one. At the very least seeing the dermatologist hopefully won't make my hair any thinner than it already is.

faithVA

Twisted my hair up tonight and my crown is doing much better. At the beginning of the year you could clearly see I had lost a lot of hair but it has grown in, in most places.

But I can tell there is an area of my crown that is still irritated and hasn't healed. It is better thought. I have noticed that a combination of misting the section with water, applying oil and rubbing it deeply into that section seems to soothe it.

I will be combining this challenge along with the Castor Oil challenge to see if I can thicken up the remaining section of my crown. The front of my hair looks great. The back looks a little thin. So going to see what I can do.

I am going to use my current oil blend from now until the end of December and then add some EOs to my Castor Oil blend and start using them Jan 1.

Carrie A

I think I'm developing a case of reverse hairexia. Now that I'm more aware of the thin places they look even thinner to my eye. I'm going to have to distract myself to keep OCD away.

I'm still on the hunt for satin scrunchies sp? and an alternative to bobbi pins. Hopefully this weekend I'll find what I'm looking for.

faithVA

I think I'm developing a case of reverse hairexia. Now that I'm more aware of the thin places they look even thinner to my eye. I'm going to have to distract myself to keep OCD away.

I'm still on the hunt for satin scrunchies sp? and an alternative to bobbi pins. Hopefully this weekend I'll find what I'm looking for.

If you find some please share where you found them at.

Hopefully the thin areas will fill in before you know it. My crown is still thin, I can feel it. But when I look in the mirror, it isn't as noticeable as it was 6 months ago.

I really believe we will be rewarded for our efforts in 2012.

faithVA

I focus mostly on my crown because it was really in bad shape. But I also need to put some more focus on my edges. When I wear certain styles they don't bother me so much. But when I try to pull my twists back into a bun, they annoy me.

So I'm in the castor oil challenge as well. Going to make sure when I focus on my crown I also focus on my edges and see if I can thicken them up. :yep:

I am feeling very optimistic at the moment.

theNaturalWonders

i am in!!

quick background: it has been a long battle with my edges. i once had luscious thick full edges. in my teenage years i would go to harlem/queens/brooklyn and the braiders would braid really tight. i would get cornrows, box braids, kinky twists. not having any real knowledge of moisture/protein balance, my hair would literally snap off with the braid. then it was on to weaves, relaxers, and color. when I BC'd 2 1/2 years ago, i was determined to grow out my edges like the rest of my hair but still had no real knowledge. so fast forward to present and my edges have grown in some but i still need to work on them.

i have been using JBCO for 1 1/2 months and just recently added bee-mine sulfur to it. i have been massaging it in nightly before bed and rubbing it in in the morning. i also have made my own rosewater and have been spraying that 2x a day on my scalp. i wear a full lace wig during the day and do not secure it with anything except for the adjustable straps in the back. i wear a satin cap on my hair and cut off knee-highs on top to reduce the bulkiness of my braids. if all else fails and there is no improvement in 6 months i will see a derm.

3. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us?
i will check in 1x a week and take photos every month.

4. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?
yes! this seems to be a major issue for alot of us.

5. What questions do you have?
none that i can think of right now

6. Starting Picture.
i will post a timeline of pics when the challenge officially starts

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Will be taking down my braids this weekend, clarify, deep condition and back in braids I go.

theNaturalWonders

so i just read pretty much all of the links you posted @faithVA (thank you BTW) and i am glad i am using JBCO and bee-mine sulfur. i am pretty excited to see all of our progress. happy edge(s) and crown growing ladies!!