Nexxus Emergencee is it!!

Coffee

I just finished using Nexxus Emergencee that's supposed to stop breaking hair. It worked extremely well and I had a lot less breakage and my hair feels wonderful. You need to use it every 2 weeks, so I figure the next time I use it, I shouldn't have any breakage. It's a tad expensive for 3.3 oz, but so worth it. I'm going to purchase the large size bottle(500 ml). I give it a 10 out of 10 :yep:.

NashT

Yes I agree!! I used it 2 weeks ago and my hair is doing well!!! I'm about 18 weeks post relaxer and I may plan to go further.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Yes!!! Nexxus Emergencee is the business! I used it when I was relaxed and I continue to use it as a natural. I LOVE this stuff. :yep:

kblc06

I loved Nexxus Emergencee and while my hair loves protein, Emergencee is a hardcore protein treatment and it would probably be best to use it every 4 weeks at the most. I wouldn't want you to have a setback with that pretty hair of yours :grin:.

I just finished using Nexxus Emergencee that's supposed to stop breaking hair. It worked extremely well and I had a lot less breakage and my hair feels wonderful. You need to use it every 2 weeks, so I figure the next time I use it, I shouldn't have any breakage. It's a tad expensive for 3.3 oz, but so worth it. I'm going to purchase the large size bottle(500 ml). I give it a 10 out of 10 :yep:.

Nonie

I loved Nexxus Emergencee and while my hair loves protein, Emergencee is a hardcore protein treatment and it would probably be best to use it every 4 weeks at the most. I wouldn't want you to have a setback with that pretty hair of yours :grin:.

Really? I actually use it because I don't consider it a hardcore protein. Not like Aphogee anyway which I won't even go near. I consider Emergencee a reconstructor which to me is a product that isn't pure protein but contains moisturizing properties as well. I use reconstructors once a week and alternate between Emergencee and AO GPB. Been doing this since I learned about protein treatments way back in 2003.

Coffee

Nonie is right, it is a Reconstructor. The correct name is "Nexxus Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor. I read some place that the name has been changed to"Nexxus Emergencee Aloxxi Polymedic - Emergency Reconstructor".

Stepiphanie

I haven't used it since my bc, but I literally was just thinking I need to reincorporate it in my regimen asap because I have this one section of hair that is very prone to splits and breakage and I know emergencee would probably nip it in the bud.

HappilyLiberal

Emergencee is not even close to being hard core. I used to use it every week--and my hair HATES protein! I don't think every other week is too much.

guyanesesista

Yes I love that stuff. My hair just doesn't feel the same when I use other protein treatments. I HAVE to use it everytime I wash. I feel like I'm deriving my hair if I don't use it. Aphogee is too hardcore for me. I've been using this since '06. I used to use Sebastian Originals Penetraitt Reconstructive Protein Treatment at first because it was cheaper and worked just as well but the formula was changed(damn they messed up a good thing) and I made the switch to nexxus.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've been using Nexxus Emergencee off & on for many years, but recently re-incorporated it into my Regular weekly regimen (as a reconstructor).:yep:

I will be using this weekly for a while (per the instructions) and may alternate some weeks with Kerphix.

I will definitely watch for any adverse effects from using it this way.

Minty

I love Aloxxi! Emergencee is wonderful. So is Keraphix and their Acidifying Conditioner.

HappilyLiberal

I've been using Nexxus Emergencee off & on for many years, but recently re-incorporated it into my Regular weekly regimen (as a reconstructor).:yep:

I will be using this weekly for a while (per the instructions) and may alternate some weeks with Kerphix.

I will definitely watch for any adverse effects from using it this way.

I like Keraphix as well!

PoisedNPolished

So it IS ok to use reconstructors with every wash. I have the Aphogee 2 minute and I only have been using it once ever 6 weeks. I am going to use my bottle up then with my weekly wash... and then grab some of this :)

Britt

Emergencee is not even close to being hard core. I used to use it every week--and my hair HATES protein! I don't think every other week is too much.

Yep... I could use Emergencee every week w/no problem. It doesn't make my hair too hard at all. It just feels stronger and softer when I'm done. There's no way it can be a hard core protein. I remember using Aphogee last year, and :blush: it took my hair a few washings to get back to feeling like normal. I'm relaxed, and I touch up pretty often (about every 9 wks) so I feel like I need the extra protein so I try to use Emergencee fairly often. I'll def be using it this wknd.

They changed up the consistency of Penetraitt :nono:. I remember I used to use it years ago and it would get the job done, but it seems they changed the formula. I remember years ago on this board, someone had mentioned that she'd alternate between Emergencee and Penetraitt b/c they are 2 total different products w/ different purposes.

Is the Emergencee liquid or creamy?How about Kerphix?

It's a thick clear gel actually. Keraphix is a creamy protein.

Coffee

I purchased a large bottle 500ml from Amazon last night for only $33 and no shipping charge :yay:.

Crystalicequeen123

Yes!!! Nexxus Emergencee is the business! I used it when I was relaxed and I continue to use it as a natural. I LOVE this stuff. :yep:

I love Emergencee also. :yep: I've never used it as a natural though. I'm a little scared. :look:

I'm afraid it will get TOO hard on my natural hair and cause more tangles. :( How does this product feel on natural hair? Is it difficult to rinse out? Does it cause tangles/hardness?

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Emergencee is one of the treatments I use to stop breakage in its tracks. It's definitely not a hardcore protein.

Nonie

I love Emergencee also. :yep: I've never used it as a natural though. I'm a little scared. :look:

I'm afraid it will get TOO hard on my natural hair and cause more tangles. :( How does this product feel on natural hair? Is it difficult to rinse out? Does it cause tangles/hardness?

Crystalicequeen123 It feels fine. I've let it dry on my hair and it washes off easily and even feels slippery. I still follow it with Therappe Shampoo (per the instructions) and then I follow that with a moisturizing conditioner--just coz I'm a stickler for directions.

It doesn't cause tangles and doesn't make my 4B hair hard. But then again, I always follow it with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner so I wouldn't know what it's like if you don't follow directions and just use it alone.

Last edited:

kblc06

Hmm, I guess I was mistaken then. Normally, for me, it seems a step up from an egg treatment, but not as strong as the Aphogee 2 step. I thought reconstructors tended to stronger than normal protein based conditioners But I agree that it does work wonders. I use to use it before and after straightening my hair to prevent heat damage. It's just incredibly hard to find now.

Iluvsmuhgrass

It's like Nonie said. It doesn't make my hair crunchy or hard, it does feel stronger when I'm done though. There's a big difference. :yep: It feels good on my hair... it's a gel like consistency only it's runny and a bit sticky. I put it on and let it sit. You can use heat or just slap it on there and find something to do for a little while. It rinses out easily and you can follow up with a moisturizing DC if you need to. I don't have a problem with tangles usually (unless I use something my hair hates) but if you want to be on the safe side you can use a conditioner with slip afterward.

It's NOT like Aphogee :nono: My hair hated that so bad.... anything with Aphogee on it caused my hair to break (while I was relaxed) so I refused to try it on my natural hair. Nexxus Emergencee has been a staple of mine since I BC'ed. It's great for slowing/stopping breakage. :yep:

Prudent1

Ok@Nonie
@Coffee
@DDTexlaxed (and others),
Y'all help a sister out:giveup:. I need to know what are the differences/ benefits of using a reconstructor vs hardcore protein? Breakage prevention? I use Aphoghee as my protein of choice and Roux for pH balancing but recently tried Joico k pak reconstructor:up:. I have used Emergencee years ago when I had a relaxer. I guess what I'm asking is is a good reconstructor an essential on this HHJ?
I have a clarifying poo, color safe non sulfate poo, DCs, protein treatments, cheapie condish for CWs, ceramides for sealing, lv in condish, clays, and growth aids (sulfur and MT). In your opinions, should I also incorporate reconstructors? I am transistioning with perhaps an inch of relaxer left on my hair.

Last edited:

Nonie

Ok@Nonie
@Coffee
@DDTexlaxed (and others),
Y'all help a sister out;giveup:. I need to know what are the differences/ benefits of using a reconstructor vs hardcore protein? Breakage prevention? I use Aphoghee as my protein of choice and Roux for pH balancing but recently tried Joico k pak reconstructor:up:. I have used Emergencee years ago when I had a relaxer. I guess what I'm asking is is a good reconstructor an essential on this HHJ?
I have a clarifying poo, color safe non sulfate poo, DCs, protein treatments, cheapie condish for CWs, ceramides for sealing, lv in condish, clays, and growth aids (sulfur and MT). In your opinions, should I also incorporate reconstructors? I am transistioning with perhaps an inch of relaxer left on my hair.

Prudent1 OK, many moons ago, not long after I joined the forum, I came across an article that explained how pure protein in the hands of the inexperienced can lead to breakage; that reconstructors were safer to use because they have the components of protein and moisture and aren't just pure protein. Pure protein if not followed with sufficient moisture treatment could lead to hard hair. To me, they just seemed to make this journey more of a headache because you would have to now figure out what "sufficient moisture" is and how not to over-moisturize. :pullhair:

Because I'd learned about using conditioners that contained both strengthening and moisturizing properties from Cathy Howse as the way to go, this info about reconstructors being better seemed to be along the lines of Cathy's advice. I was already pretty comfortable with the idea that a good conditioner should strengthen and moisturize so finding out some conditioners called reconstructors actually come as strengtheners but bring along moisture too was a real treat.

And ever since I have followed that advice (avoid pure proteins), I have never found myself having to worry about the protein/moisture balance because my hair never feels mushy or hard. And I'm all about making this hair journey as stress-free as possible.

So to answer your question, it's just a personal choice whether one wants to work with pure proteins and then figure out how to balance them out with moisture, or use a reconstructor and kill two birds with one stone.

When I use AO GPB, I do not always follow with a moisturizing conditioner unless I use as a DC which is where it works as a pre-poo on dry hair followed by shampoo then a moisturizing conditioner. If just using it as a conditioner, I do not follow with a moisturizing shampoo. I do not because the instructions don't say to, and when I was first introduced to it, I would use it as my only conditioner and it worked nicely in keeping my hair soft and if I didn't know better would have never known it was a reconstructor. With Emergencée, the instructions say to follow with a shampoo then a moisturizing conditioner even when using it for 2 minutes (ie regular conditioner) so I do that. The shampoo step never used to be on the original bottle but methinks that people didn't rinse it off properly and probably had issues hence the "safety precautions" added. So I do as I'm told.

Last edited:

Nonie

@Prudent1

Here's an old post where I quoted the article I read...although the info is no longer at the link I got it from back then:

I don't know about it being "stronger"... Maybe that idea comes from the fact that it is 100% protein, ie with no moisture. But because of that, it can be damaging if used incorrectly...like not followed by deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner.

And I did find a reference for my earlier statement, although it wasn't the one I originally read. For those who don't want to comb through all the info to get to the relevant part, here you go:

The two types of treatments are:

#Reconstructors, which make the hair stronger and are generally protein-based. These are for you if you have chemically damaged hair (i.e. from a perm or colour) or breaking or weak hair. They are often a combination of protein and moisture, as pure protein treatments used incorrectly can leave the hair brittle. After using this type of treatment don't expect your hair to feel great as they work internally and you may still need a conditioner to make your hair feel smooth. They are most often found at the salon and used during chemical processes. Don't use protein-based treatments within a week either side of a colour as they can cause colour to fade or not 'take' properly in some instances.

#Moisturisers, the most common type of treatment, balance the moisture content of the cortex (middle of your hair). Great for frizzy, dry hair and those of you with curly hair that lacks bounce. Will treat all damage conditions from chemical to physical (i.e. from colouring to over-drying or heating your hair to sun damage).

As with most products, treatments should be applied using the instructions on the pack or by your professional hairdresser. The amount needed also varies greatly depending on the product and how much hair you have. Do not leave treatments in your hair for longer than instructed, especially if using a protein-based treatment as these will have no extra effect, and may even make your hair brittle.

If your hair is in really bad shape a twice a week treatment may be needed, but generally for fair to poor conditioned hair once a week is recommended. For general maintenance go to once a fortnight or once a month. Remember your hair can only take in so much extra nourishment: over-doing it on the treatment side means you are wasting your money as it is simply rinsing down the drain!
Source: Cleo Magazine
Source of this old post I just quoted

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I never used Nexxus reconstructor, just Aphoghee and Joico. I believe Joico was the best out of the 2. I used to just do protein treatments with ORS mayo, but I just don't use anything right now. If I was still relaxed, I would use the whole Joice Reconstruct line. My hair retained length and was very soft.

destine2grow

I am experiencing breakage and have been trying to decide which reconstructor or protein treatment to use. I have aphogee 2 min and its not working. I am too scared to try the aphogee 2 step. I don't want to shell out $60 for Dudley's DRC 28 unless its and last resort. I saw nexxus emergencee in cvs but they wanted 16.99 for 3.3oz and I didn't want to pay that much for a small amt. How long does the 3.3oz bottle last?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am experiencing breakage and have been trying to decide which reconstructor or protein treatment to use. I have aphogee 2 min and its not working. I am too scared to try the aphogee 2 step. I don't want to shell out $60 for Dudley's DRC 28 unless its and last resort. I saw nexxus emergencee in cvs but they wanted 16.99 for 3.3oz and I didn't want to pay that much for a small amt. How long does the 3.3oz bottle last?

destine2grow

It lasts a long time. It is Extremely, Extremely Concentrated. It's thick & gooey and it spreads evenly.:yep:

You should have no problem at all making that bottle last, because it is so highly concentrated you will not be using that much.