Calling all true 4bs!

trynagrow

Can you all please share what works best for your hair, pics and links, fotkis, youtube videos, etc. 4b seems so unique and like, certain products won't work as well as on other types, so what have you had success with? Products, regiments, etc?

Keen

Well what do you consider to be true 4bs? I'm sure everyone who identify themselves as 4b wouldn't do so if they didn't think they were true 4bs.

BlackMasterPiece

Hey tryna grow! I'm mostly 4a with some 4b but I thought I'd chime in and list some posters to follow or PM who have true 4b hair and have hair that is truly thriving.

Mwedzi
Nonie
Afrokink

I would say that I've worked extensively with 4b ladies hair and our hair needs much of the same things. I recently styled a 4b little girls hair and made a mixture for her hair that worked beautifully for doing twists, twist-outs or braid-outs. Here's the *link* to that thread. 4b's told me my mixture worked beautifully on their hair.

Nonie

Products that work for a lot of 4's (Shea butter, CON shampoo) do not work for me. I find any moisturizing shampoo from CVS (I am not afraid of sulphates but I do try to also use "natural" shampoos (like the Giovanni line, J/A/S/O/N, Trader Joe's...) works. As long as it says it's for "dry hair", I am not afraid to use it.

That goes for conditioners too. CVS is my pot of gold so for regular conditioning I tend to get Organix, NTM, Aussie Moist, Therappe, to name a few. For DCing (protein), I get Emergencee...otherwise I get AO GPB from the health store. For moisture DC I use AO HSR.

I tried DCing with coconut milk and it was meh. I don't really know what it was supposed to do but my hair felt greasy and kinda coated. I also found AO shampoos left my hair feeling filmy, like CON shampoo does. So it seems to me products meant for any hair, not just black hair, and products made commercially are what works for me. I've tried buying products like MyHoneyChild lines that everyone raves about and I didn't get the reason they are so popular. I've also had samples of Vatika oil sent to me and again, I didn't get it. So when folks offer to send me something they made, I'm sorta kinda skeptical coz I seem to do well with just what's available down the road from me.

For leave-in, I only ever use S Curl, and only if combing my hair. All other times, I use nothing. My hair is in braids or twists most of the time, so no need for slip. If my hair feels dry, I consider that time to wash, which could mean shampoo included or just a CW depending on how long it was since I washed. I shampoo twice a week. I air dry. I use ACV at the end of every wash. I baggy every night.

So except for shampoos (and I like clear gel ones over creamy ones--except for when I am shampooing out a protein DC) and conditioners and ACV, I really use nothing else on my hair. Last time I used anything on my hair was March 2009 when I had my hair out. I've been in braids since then.

I don't think this regimen can be called typical or normal, but I'm a weirdo and a lazy one at that.

Last edited:

MizzBrit

what works best for me:

low manipulation- i wear protective styles that last between 2 weeks up to a month or more.

sections-when washing and detangling..always

natural products for moisture/nourishment-commercials ones doesn't do it for me.my hair responds great with coconut oil,castor oil,shea butter,henna, water based glycerine spritz mixes,etc

plaits- before going to bed at night if wearing my hair loose

no cone-unless im detangling.when detangling,cones are my best friend.the more the merrier.i use tressemme moisture rich.my co wash conditioners are cone free and cheap

Last edited:

Nonie

nonie..why do you shampoo 2x a week? does your hair not feel dry or stripped?

It's a habit I picked up from way before I joined the forums. I love having a clean scalp and love the massage I get from applying shampoo to my scalp. That's the only thing I apply to my scalp, so it's an excuse to indulge myself. I also get a headache if I go more than 3 days without shampooing so that's another reason. Not to mention it's also a way to get my hair wet and hence "moisturized".

No my hair doesn't feel dry or stripped. I only use shampoos meant for dry hair. I never clarify.

Endlesslegs

Im a true 4b undeniably so. I just uploaded a youtube video showing my progress www.youtube.com/AllisBelle.

What works best for me is avoiding fads like a plague. After the mtg trial that ended up burning my neck, I was done. Besides, it seems like my hair grows the same amount every month no matter how much mn/oils I use. What I know works for me though is taking multi-vits. Not just for hair, but for overall health, the fact that it helps your skin and hair is a major plus.

Also, I like observing other 4b regimens like Miss Brit, Nonie and a couple of other folks. It makes me see what others are doing to keep their hair lush. I also do not discount others with looser textures, but I realise that I cant treat my hair the same way. Low manipulation is best as 4b hair is so fragile.

I wash in sections, dc in sections and detangle in the shower. I lose less hair that way. I think you should also check out www.growafrohairlong.com. Her website started me on my journey, which in turn brought me here :)

dender

Hey 4b's w'up w'up w'up
I'm dying to hear what you all do to your hair

ok
put tons of conditioner and oil on dry hair before getting into shower
After washing/cowashing I divide hair into eight sections and smooth and braid each section under running water of the shower. The force of the water detangles it and gives me a completely smooth as smooth crisp tangle free braid like i've never had or thought was possible. because i do this I pretty much never have to get out the comb or brush.

no shampoo, poo bars etc ever ever, they work for some but just make my hair feel icky

Mayo as a deep conditioner - with this you almost dont need a leave in (almost)

rhasoull clay treatment - omg gives too much softness, I slather it on to the point it completely weighs my hair down almost straight, don't be afraid to leave it on till it dries either you get better results, promise

Giovanni direct smooth as silk and A'kin conditioner as cowash or leave in, both of these are awesome and multipurpose really

aloe vera gel is fabbity fab, it just gives the hair depth

sheabutter (obvs)

if hair isn't stretched enough I grab a chunk and pin it down to the farthest part of my head, unpin in about an hour, boom, stretch. this is how I sleep

The biggest things that helped for my hair

stopped product junkiesm, I just use something cheap that works and thats good enough
stopped pretending or fantasizing I had Sera or Mwedzis hair
stopped doing wash and gos, if lazy I just let my hair dry in two plaits, no effort and still gives stretch and stops tangles
stopped wanting type three hair - to be honest the main reason i wanted this was when i was shorter because i know type 3's can show more length, the longer my hair gets the more this feeling goes away

Loves Harmony

Im a true 4b..
PrePoo with CURLS Ectasy Conditioner
I wash my hair in section with BeeMine Herbal Bar
then i follow up with CURLS Coconut Sublime Conditioner
Leave in BeeMine Deja Milk
Then moist with Taliah Protective Mist

I cowash with Curls Sublime Conditioner

At night i braid my hair then place a silk cap on...

dicapr

Well what do you consider to be true 4bs? I'm sure everyone who identify themselves as 4b wouldn't do so if they didn't think they were true 4bs.

I agree. OP needs to define what she means by true 4b. I consider myself 4b but most of the techniques recommended for 4b hair do not work for me. In the end you have to do you with your hair.

AfroKink

I'm assuming that the OP meant "true 4b" as in "only 4b" and not "4a/b".

OP, I don't think hair type really determines what products will work well for you. I find hair typing to be most useful when it comes to styling and techniques. Products are very personal because while you and I may have the same curl pattern, we might differ in strand diameter (coarseness) and porosity.

moving along:

-Wash in twists or braids
-Do not try to define curls you do not have
-Dry your hair streteched
-Don't sleep on open hair (braid, twist, band, bun etc at night)
-Use a silk or satin bonnet/scarf/pillow case
-Remove the work "slick" from your vocab
-Beware of wet bunning
-Trim regularly
-Beware of the wash 'n fro
-You don't need product for twist/braid outs
-If you're going to wash small twists, twist using Nonie's method
-Learn how to detangle (learn which products and tools work best for you)
-Somewhere floating around there is a 'long 4-something' thread. There are a lot of good links there. Only thing is the OP of that thread is lazy and hasn't updated it in a while. Forgive her:look:

song_of_serenity

Mane-Tail-Groom...a product that started off as treatment for skin conditions on horses that prevent hair from growing normally but has been found to promote hair growth on humans too--or sth lke that. Apparently it stinks, but anything for hair growth, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Shapley-Original-M-t-g-32-Ounce/dp/B001CCY8VW
Actually, it started off as a treatment for humans.
M-T-G was formulated in the 1930’s for human use to treat a variety of skin problems such as dandruff, psoriasis and eczema. The product formula remains substantially the same

Nonie

Actually, it started off as a treatment for humans.

Thanks for that correction. Goes to show you how much I know about it. LOL I skip over most growth aid threads so what I know about them is from hearing bits and pieces that don't quite add up--as you just witnessed. :lol: Like the threads on OC and Megatek...do you know for a whole year I had no idea what Ovation Cell was? I was so sure it's something from afterbirth or ovulation juice :)dork: Don't ask) that was found to be rich in protein and therefore good for hairgrowth. No exaggeration. I only found out when someone asked me if I had used it and then I exposed my ignorance by asking.

ceebee3

I don't have much to add but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love CVS, most of my hair products come from there.

They always have great sales and I love, love, love easy bucks!:grin:

Products that work for a lot of 4's (Shea butter, CON shampoo) do not work for me. I find any moisturizing shampoo from CVS (I am not afraid of sulphates but I do try to also use "natural" shampoos (like the Giovanni line, J/A/S/O/N, Trader Joe's...) works. As long as it says it's for "dry hair", I am not afraid to use it.

That goes for conditioners too. CVS is my pot of gold so for regular conditioning I tend to get Organix, NTM, Aussie Moist, Therappe, to name a few. For DCing (protein), I get Emergencee...otherwise I get AO GPB from the health store. For moisture DC I use AO HSR.

I tried DCing with coconut milk and it was meh. I don't really know what it was supposed to do but my hair felt greasy and kinda coated. I also found AO shampoos left my hair feeling filmy, like CON shampoo does. So it seems to me products meant for any hair, not just black hair, and products made commercially are what works for me. I've tried buying products like MyHoneyChild lines that everyone raves about and I didn't get the reason they are so popular. I've also had samples of Vatika oil sent to me and again, I didn't get it. So when folks offer to send me something they made, I'm sorta kinda skeptical coz I seem to do well with just what's available down the road from me.

For leave-in, I only ever use S Curl, and only if combing my hair. All other times, I use nothing. My hair is in braids or twists most of the time, so no need for slip. If my hair feels dry, I consider that time to wash, which could mean shampoo included or just a CW depending on how long it was since I washed. I shampoo twice a week. I air dry. I use ACV at the end of every wash. I baggy every night.

So except for shampoos (and I like clear gel ones over creamy ones--except for when I am shampooing out a protein DC) and conditioners and ACV, I really use nothing else on my hair. Last time I used anything on my hair was March 2009 when I had my hair out. I've been in braids since then.

I don't think this regimen can be called typical or normal, but I'm a weirdo and a lazy one at that.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Thanks for that correction. Goes to show you how much I know about it. LOL I skip over most growth aid threads so what I know about them is from hearing bits and pieces that don't quite add up--as you just witnessed. :lol: Like the threads on OC and Megatek...do you know for a whole year I had no idea what Ovation Cell was? I was so sure it's something from afterbirth or ovulation juice :)dork: Don't ask) that was found to be rich in protein and therefore good for hairgrowth. No exaggeration. I only found out when someone asked me if I had used it and then I exposed my ignorance by asking.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I still don't know what it is but I always read it as Ovulation Cell and thought it had something to do with...idk....I knew I was making stuff up in my head but I guess I just didn't care

Nonie

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I still don't know what it is but I always read it as Ovulation Cell and thought it had something to do with...idk....I knew I was making stuff up in my head but I guess I just didn't care

I wasn't even seeing ovulation. I was seeing Ova (eggs) and then the word Cell and was sure it had to be the woman's contribution to baby making...and how afterbirth somehow entered the equation, I couldn't tell you. :dork:

And like you, I still don't know if I ever found out then forgot. :lol:

Tiye

I agree. OP needs to define what she means by true 4b. I consider myself 4b but most of the techniques recommended for 4b hair do not work for me. In the end you have to do you with your hair.

^^ Your sig says 4a/4b - so could it be that your 4a is predominant? I found out I was 4b (or at least not 4a) because I was trying out tons of 3c/4a focused advice and none of it worked for me.

what works best for me:

low manipulation- i wear protective styles that last between 2 weeks up to a month or more.

sections-when washing and detangling..always

natural products for moisture/nourishment-commercials ones doesn't do it for me.my hair responds great with coconut oil,castor oil,shea butter,henna, water based glycerine spritz mixes,etc

plaits- before going to bed at night if wearing my hair loose

no cone-unless im detangling.when detangling,cones are my best friend.the more the merrier.i use tressemme moisture rich.my co wash conditioners are cone free and cheap

I concur on many of the same things except that I'm not a huge fan of glycerin (I don't like lingering sticky) and avoid it except in very small doses and I don't conditioner wash. It is possible to wash your hair with shampoo and not strip it if you use quality shampoos. The rational for conditioner washing was that conditioner is a better alternative to bad/harsh shampoo however I've tried cheapie conditioners in my time that were also quite harsh so I prefer to use good shampoos and good conditioners and this has worked fine for me.

Straight shea butter isn't fantastic for my hair but I blend it with other butters and oils - whatever I have in the house and grape seed oil works to make any butter blend light and absorbant. I use my personal blend butters and oils in very small doses.

As for the definition of "true 4b" - here's the hair industry take on it. http://www.arjuni.com/gallery/patterns/photographs.html

This scale only goes to type 3 because black people are not in the business of donating hair for commercial use at this time - but as the LHCF continues to grow and influence this might change eventually. Anyway type 4 is like 3 just with tighter coils, curls, and kinks, etc. Interestingly according to their pattern photos the 3d is what matches 4b in terms of irregular curl so some of us aren't just talkin' crazy when we feel like 4b isn't really a fit and we must really be 4c-d-or z ....

Rei

I'm a 4b, superfine strands, medium density

What works for me:
-Low manipulation completely. I have very fine hair so I'm still working out the balance between my hair's nature to dread and matt and not handling it so much. Buns and pinups all day e'rrday
-I use Aubrey organix as my conditioners exclusively. White camellia and Honeysuckle rose go on constant rotation.
-I do not CW, I just wash once a week, with shampoo. I use black soap to shampoo (and sometimes an HE clarifier) . Once a month I do a bentonite clay treatment as well.
-I wash my hair in braids or twists exclusively, undo each twist, slather it with conditioner, detangle using water to help, then retwist. Then I shampoo my head to get rid of the conditoner I used to detangle, and then let it airdry a bit before slapping on my DC for about an hour or two. Then I rinse with cold water and put a tinnny bit of HSR back on and seal with shea butter/aloeveragel mixture.
-I use olive oil more than coconut oil, as my hair is extremely sensitive to protein in all forms. My hair liked castor oil too, but I can never find it

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Check out mscocoface, mwedzi, sera25, and kemi21 on fotki.

I have 4a/b hair, more 4b, very tightly coiled hair that shrinks tremendously.

Best thing I know if you want to retain the length you grow is to avoid excessive rough manipulation and keep your hair moisturized and in simple styles like a bun.

I have found over the 5 years of being natural that stretched out styles dry out my hair, and protective styles like twists and braids are too much manipulation for my hair and can cause matting sometimes.

And also I don't fool with sectioning when it comes to detangling. Too much work and manipulation.

trynagrow

Not

I agree but I think knowing techniques, products, etc that 4bers use can at least steer someone in the right direction.

I meant, for those that consider themselves all or at least mostly 4b. Not those who say I'm 4b in the nape, I got a small section, I think I'm 4a/4b or just 4b. Though they can share how that part of their hair reacts of course but I mean those who KNOW. From the Her 4b is not my 4b thread, 4b seems pretty clearly identifiable to me now and, as many of them said, does not react the same way to the products that other type 4s use. I am seeing this in the 4b hair I'm around and I can totally relate and understand. It has helped me bit to know, at least, WHY it's not reacting the same as some 4as, kwim?