Newbie w/dandruff issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nfynit_812

<font color="blue">Hello everyone!!!
wave.gif

I have an issue-see, I keep my hair braided-cornrows or microbraids-and it never fails, the week after I get it done, the front of my scalp starts to flake (like I have cradle cap or something
mad.gif
)!! I currently use Doo Gro Anti Itch oil w/tea tree oil to moisturize my scalp, but it doesn't help w/the dandruff. I started to use the Doo Gro line of products-tingling shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. I even use Queen Helene protein conditioner for overnight deep conditioning. I rinse my hair good to make sure there is no left-over residue from the conditioners....

What am I doing wrong? I can't stand this dandruff business! What would u suggest to a sista w/braided hair and a flaky scalp?!?!? HELP
shocked.gif
</font>

Welcome!! nfynit82!
wave.gif

Are you sure that your braids aren't too tight? Sometimes that causes flakes. Try swabing the front of your scalp with SeaBreeze or Witch Hazel then putting some pure tea tree oil on it.

A good shampoo that gets rid of flakes is called Tea Tree Thriple Threat shampoo by Giovanni.

You may be mildly allergic to the hair they use when they braid.....

Scalps don't only flake when they are dry - they also do it when they are irritated. I heard somewhere that you can soak the hair in apple cider vinegar to combat this. This may only be true with human hair though, and not synthetic.
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nfynit_812 said:
wave.gif

I have an issue-see, I keep my hair braided-cornrows or microbraids-and it never fails, the week after I get it done, the front of my scalp starts to flake (like I have cradle cap or something
mad.gif
)!! I currently use Doo Gro Anti Itch oil w/tea tree oil to moisturize my scalp, but it doesn't help w/the dandruff. I started to use the Doo Gro line of products-tingling shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. I even use Queen Helene protein conditioner for overnight deep conditioning. I rinse my hair good to make sure there is no left-over residue from the conditioners....

What am I doing wrong? I can't stand this dandruff business! What would u suggest to a sista w/braided hair and a flaky scalp?!?!? HELP
shocked.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

aveda scalp remedy could be your fix...i know that it's helped me tremendously. i can get lye perms and not burn 1 bit because of this product.

Welcome! You may have Seborrheic Dermatitis. You should go see a dermatologist. Is your face breaking out as well? My dermatologist prescribed Nizarol medicated shampoo for me and it is the best, no flakes and no itching! Definitely look into that because Seborrheic Dermatitis can cause hair loss.

[ QUOTE ]
ladylibra_30 said:
[ QUOTE ]
nfynit_812 said:
wave.gif

mad.gif

shocked.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

aveda scalp remedy could be your fix...i know that it's helped me tremendously. i can get lye perms and not burn 1 bit because of this product.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna suggest the same thing b/c of the same reason: it has helped me, too! It comes in a brown medicine looking bottle w/a dropper in it and it's about 11 bucks. Great investment though if you have dandruff.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:
Definitely look into that because Seborrheic Dermatitis can cause hair loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Oh my...that could be why I was shedding so much hair after a really bad dandruff bout after wearing a weave.

I've had Seborrheic Dermatitis for years but it was a mild case. I've always had flakes even right after my hair was washed and I never understood why and my head would be itching so bad every day to the extend that I was using pens at work to scratch my scalp and of course I would really pay for it when I got a touch up! OUCH! If you don't have that problem continuously then it's probably no S.D. but if it's consistent I would check it out.

Doo-Gro Triple Strength (the purple one), it's the best! It has sulfer in it but it doesn't smell bad at all. It's great!

Yeah, I get it pretty bad...unless I'm using water on my scalp extremely often. I too always seem to have the "cradle cap."
crazy.gif
barf.gif

WELCOME ABOARD.
You may want to try doing a pre-hot oil treatment with olive oil before getting your braids done.
I use Nizoral Shampoo prescription strength to keep my flakes in check.

wave.gif
Welcome to LHCF! To relieve my dandruff, I used shampoo with tea tree oil and applied sulfur 8 to my scalp once a week and it went away.
smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Thanks to everyone who responded
grin.gif
! I currently have my hair in cornrows-I'll keep it in for 3 weeks...I usually give my hair some time to breathe (about a week) before I braid it back up. I'll definitely do a pre-hot oil treatment before I shampoo!

<font color="purple">Tigerlily-</font> It's funny how I have seabreeze sitting in my closet and I could've been using it all this time! Will definitely try it!

<font color="purple">Tene-</font> Where do they sell the Tea Tree Triple Threat shampoo?

<font color="purple">Tracy-</font> I noticed that my scalp would flake just the same when my hair is braided versus when my hair is permed and weekly visits to the salon. Hmmm...

<font color="purple">Ladylibra30 and Dolce Dawn-</font> Where can I find this 'heaven in a bottle'?!? I can use that while my hair is braided...is that something I can use daily?

<font color="purple">chocolate princess-</font> I was thinking about seeing a dermatologist about my dandruff-or is it dry scalp? It just as well be seborrheic (sp?)dermatitis...*reminding myself to seek a dermatologist in the meantime*

<font color="purple">Princess Avaya-</font> i have yet to find the purple stuff LOL! I have the Doo Gro anti itch green oil, but I need something stronger...will be on the lookout for the triple strength Doo Gro...

<font color="purple">Karonica-</font> we got to get rid of the 'cradle cap' LOL! We will seek salavation w/the Aveda scalp remedy LMAO!!!!!

<font color="purple">SingingStar-</font> Last month, I bought the sulfur 8 medicated original formula anti dandruff hair and scalp treatment...when I got my hair braided, I greased my scalp (especially my hairline and the front) every few days...don't u know a week and a half later my cradle cap appeared out of nowhere?!? I thought that sulfur 8 would stop it altogether...I guess not to expect overnight results w/that stuff, huh? LOL</font>

You can find Aveda Scalp Remedy at any Aveda store or salon. On the bottle it says to use at least twice a wk. It is a creamy white liquid, no real smell per se, and a little goes a long way.

Let us know how you do w/your new regimen, whatever products you choose!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
How much is the Aveda stuff? I may head there this week. I've been itching to go to that store anyway.
sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
2 cute!

i agree with choclate princess. i think you should really see a dermatologist. i've had scalp problems since i was about 15. i tried every OTC dandruff shampoo i could get my hands on. nothing worked.

i've been diagnosed with seborrhea, psoriasis, nervous scalp... you name it, i had it. lol! my dermatologist treats it as psoriasis. i use prescription Nizoral and Olux foam (also a prescription) to keep it under control.

Hey guys.
wave.gif

I got the Aveda stuff. It's actually creamy...I was expecting a liquid. *shrug*

I'll be using it tonight.
trampoline.gif

Okay, this stuff is a pain to apply. It comes with one of those droppers (like real medicine or something). But since it technically a cream, it's rather annoying using the dropper...kinda messy too.

I think next time, I may pour it out the jar onto something, and then apply it that way.
laugh.gif
smile.gif
So that less is getting on my hair, and more on my scalp.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Okay, this stuff is a pain to apply. It comes with one of those droppers (like real medicine or something). But since it technically a cream, it's rather annoying using the dropper...kinda messy too.

I think next time, I may pour it out the jar onto something, and then apply it that way.
laugh.gif
smile.gif
So that less is getting on my hair, and more on my scalp.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Karonica, LOL...

When I apply this I use my fingers. I take the dropper, put some drops on my fingers and apply it as if it were grease to my scalp. Then I rub/massage it in. That's it!

Thanks for the tip. See, I was gonna go through all the trouble of pouring it out, then scraping it up and putting it on my head. Why must I make things so hard for myself?
lachen70.gif

cool.gif
<font color="blue">Let me know how it works out for you. I wasn't able to get it this week (bill paying week), but I will get it soon...
grin.gif
</font>

So far, so good. No nasty itchies to complain about. No flakes either.
scratchchin.gif
Cradle cap is almost nonexistent right now.
scratchchin.gif

Back