YIKES! These braids are coming out NOW!!!

H

HoneyRockette

I planned on removing my braids on the 6th because I made an appointment on the 8th to get them redone. Unfortunately they have decided they don't want to stay in that long because they are falling out now! Two braids came out yesterday and one today at work. I am so glad no one saw it slip out. It would have been so embarassing! I spent the better half of the morning trying to disguise the spot where it slipped out. I don't know what I am going to do until the 12th. I know I should wait more than two days before getting my braids redone anyway but I don't even want to try to make a style out of my hair. I haven't had a relaxer since August and I was really in bad shape style wise before I got my braids. Anything I try to do to my hair at this point will result in breakage I just know it. Do you think rebraiding too soon will cause serious damage? Either way I am in for some damage because I CANNOT do my hair at all with two textures. Which do you think is worse? Faith I am looking in your direction again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honey Rockett
Are you growing out your relaxer, you haven't retouched since August. What you could do is take out your braids, make a mixture of water, glycerine and Infusium 23 and comb out your hair, spraying your roots, first, then spraying your ends, comb your hair with a big teeth comb, section by section. If you meet any part of your hair which gets tangled spray again. Then give your hair a deep conditioner and then wait two weeks until you braid again.

But what do I do with my hair until I rebraid. I do have to go to work. The problem is I can't STYLE my hair when it is like this without breaking it off.

I haven't had a touch-up since July and I have the same problem. Styling my hair is not an option when I have three different lengths and two different textures! I wear a fake ponytail in a texture that's close to the texture of my natural hair. I move it around on my head so it's not in the same spot all the time.
I got mine from especiallyyours.com They have a whole bunch of them. The one I bought is called "True". I'm sure something similar is available in stores, but around here all I could find were straight hairpieces...

HR, you sound like you're really in distress. I don't know how you feel about using heat in your hair, but what I would do in that situation is follow Valerie's advice and then use a good thermal protection product with a warm bumping iron or flat iron to straighten the new growth.

I know you don't want damage from the heat but that would be less harmful (on my head at least) than trying to rake through the new growth. At least then you'd be able to roll it, wear it in a ponytail or french roll or other protective style until you re-braid.

Good luck.

HR, I plan on getting the twists next weekend and I am going to leave them for two months and take them out for two weeks and rebraid again. In that two week period, I am going to wash and deep condition my hair every three days. Followed by moisturizing it with my oils (jojoba, olive oil, vitamin E) and I am going to braid up my hair in little braids and moisturize every day and night and wear a wig and wear it to work. Buy a wig is my answer. There are so many of them on the market that looks very good and living in New York, I know you can find one for under $25.00 bucks. Try that.

Girl, I know what you mean. I had one or two braids slip out on me, and I was always happy it happened somewhere away from work or the subway.

I know that this isn't a popular opinion on this board, but I would be all for rebraiding ASAP. I always rebraided my hair the same weekend that I removed old braids. When I was removing the braids for good, for some reason I couldn't relax it for a few days, or I would have. Not advocating this for everyone, I know it's not the best thing, but fortunately I never suffered damage from doing this. Those were the worst few days of my life. My hair was so thick I couldn't deal with it at all, and the two textures were a nightmare. I wound up wearing a french roll to work for those few days, and even that was a challenge because the bobby pins were no match for my big hair. I alternated by twisting the top portion of my hair into a french roll thingy and combing the rest of the hair down. Maybe you can also try doing braid-outs in the meantime; they come out pretty nice on really thick hair.

Hope these tips help, and good luck! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back