why does my hair hate me and insist on being red?

bellezanegra826

My hair is naturally 1b. I got some dye from the store l'oreal ASH brown that said on the side of the box that it minimizes warm red tones.
Please tell me why I'm sitting up here looking like
?

When I go to professionals, my hair always lifts red so I figured I might as well do it myself. I always pick out an ash brown tone and they say it doesn't go with my skin color and they end up suggesting a brown that is warmer (rather than the cooler tone that I ask for) and then it ends up red, not brown. WTF? I thought that if you didn't want your hair to lift and look red, that you go with an ash tone. Then I put beautiful collection semi-permanent hair color in honey brown on it to try to cover up the brown and I still look like chucky. What am I doing wrong? Btw, in the past a so-called professional lifted my hair all the way to Sisco Thong Song Blond and then deposited color and it still ended up mahogany red. Is it my hair just resisting going brown or is there some secret to making it work?

melissa-bee

Bahaahaha, this thread is too funny.
I have no advice, but I've always thought people lookl the best when they rock the hair colour they are born with.

Transformer

I had to give up on browns and auburns with a red base. I end up like Carrot Head. I dont' do those shades anymore. I haven't colored my greys in 5 months and DH is not pleased at all. I should say screw him but that would make him happy.

Because your hair is so dark, basically off black, any color you try to use will lift to red first. The stages of lifting color are first red, to orange-red, orange, and then yellow. Box dyes are hard to work with because they don't take into consideration resistant black hair. (the color black) The best way to get an ash brown color is to first lift your natural hair color at least 2 to 3 shades and then dye to the preferred color. Because our hair is black, most dyes will lift to a version of red unless your bleaching all the way to orange. I had to lift my haircolor 5 levels and then use a 5ash brown for it to even show up. I always recommend Youtube vids and a trip to Sallys to pick the brains of the staff because ash is one of the hardest colors to perfect without it looking grey or greenish.