Who Should Trim My Hair?

Country gal

My hair is straight now so who should I get to trim it? Should I go to a black hair salon? Should I go to the hair cuttery which mostly has white stylists?

Ohhh.. That's a tough question.... You're trimming the flat ironed hair right? If so I would go to hair cuttery.

If you go to a black salon you will lose length as they will not stop until they cut you a style.

F

I was thinking a black stylist may cut off too much.:( Fran, I forgot about the style issue. Do I really need to trim my hair? My last trim was April 6th 2006.

Fran said:
Ohhh.. That's a tough question.... You're trimming the flat ironed hair right? If so I would go to hair cuttery.

If you go to a black salon you will lose length as they will not stop until they cut you a style.

F

I agree!!! A black stylist will give you a CUT instead of a trim. At the same time, you will not want to go to an Asian-salon or place where language is limited. You want to be able to CLEARLY communicate your needs to the stylist, so there is no confusion in terms of what you are looking for.

My vote is the hair cuttery.

I vote trim it yourself or get someone trusted to do it. I'm so done w/ stylist's trimming my hair.

KiniKakes said:
I agree!!! A black stylist will give you a CUT instead of a trim. At the same time, you will not want to go to an Asian-salon or place where language is limited. You want to be able to CLEARLY communicate your needs to the stylist, so there is no confusion in terms of what you are looking for.

I second that!

Let me clarify something, the salon I get my trims at is a White salon. The stylist is Asian-American though. I just would recommend using someone that understands long hair if you are going for length not style.

KiniKakes said:

Because of my own experience with Hair Cuttery, I agree with Kini. During the consultation, be sure to tell the stylist that you are growing your hair out and don't want any more than X amount cut. Visually show your stylist the exact amount you want cut off. Hair Cuttery stylists typically keep their clients facing the mirror during haircuts. Make sure you keep watch the entire time.

How do I trim it myself? Do I basically do a dusting where I just even out the ends? Do I need a hair cutting scissors versus the ones I use for everyday use?

Pokahontas said:
I vote trim it yourself or get someone trusted to do it. I'm so done w/ stylist's trimming my hair.

I agree with Pokahontas, I let my friend trim my ends, she's a stylist but the thing is she lives in Mississippi and I live in Illinois but she is the only one who I will let near my hair after all the bad experiences in shops/family/friends...I promise you I was thinking if I go to a shop I was going to have the person sign a paper that STATES...do not cut no more than 1/2 inch to 1 inch and if you do cut more...I WILL JAP out on you and when the po po's come they will see my signed form...and they will say well she does have a written form stating the consequences.....naw just joking...but I seriously was thinking that if I was to go to she shop...what could I do to guarantee...I won't get a deep cut...anyway...my next trim is in June 2007 when my friend comes to visit..I'm all good til them...I baggie:)

Pokahontas said:

I agree. I went to the salon and asked for a trim, and yes I USED to go to a white salon, but had a Black stylist. He did a trim, not a cut, but my bill for a 1/4 inch trim was $60!!!!!!!!!! Haven't gotten a trim 'cept from my mama or close friend since!

The Black salons chop your hair off for real.

Back