White or Yellow Shea Butter?

IWantBSl09

I'm about to buy some Unrefined shea butter from amazon and I wanted to know which one is better, the white or yellow one?

myronnie

I have crushed and refined shea butter (white) from fromnaturewithlove.com
It doesn't have a smell (thank goodness because i hear that the yellow has a very distinct smell :perplexed ) and it imparts moisture into my hair. I would go with the white because i wouldn't want to deal with the nasty smell :look:

C

cieramichele

Didnt notice there was a difference.

I do know that it can vary in color due to the shea.....nuts. :look:

lilsparkle825

the yellow one does have a smell...its not bad but its not a cocoa butter-like smell.

if the white one is odorless i will get that one next time...cant have the smell of my vo5 AND my baby buttercreme AND my shea butter mingling.

IWantBSl09

Yeah apparently it does so it seems...

"It should be noted that the process used to refine shea butter strips it of most of it's positive properties. In order to make the shea white it must be bleached which also distroys all of the vitamin A and E. Unless there is a specific reason to need 'pure' shea, unrefined or 'raw' shea butter is far and above a better product.

"When shea butter is extracted with the toxic petroleum-based chemical “hexane”, traces of the solvent may remain in the butter. Currently, the market is saturated with butters extracted with hexane. This process turns the butter a whitish color and takes out the distinctive natural odor – which provides a good way to detect if the product is processed. However, sometimes leftover shea butter from the expeller-press method is mixed in with the solvent method and sold as "unrefined shea butter". To get the best benefits from shea butter’s inherent healing properties, it’s important to use a source that has third-party verification of its purity, such as the “USDA Organic Certified” seal.

In the refinement process, shea butter is exposed to heat of up to 270 degrees in order to remove its characteristic nutty smell, and chemicals such as sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate are mixed in and added to the shea butter. When shea butter is bleached, it goes through an acid treated filter at high temperatures. These actions remove the natural essential fatty acids, as well as valuable proteins and minerals."

The white version is considered the refined version and the yellow is considered the yellow version.

Chameleonchick

Unrefined shea butter is sometimes referred to as white because of the contrast in color with the "yellow" shea butter. Yes shea butter that is white as a crayon is ultra refined or refined shea butter, a shea butter that is ivory or more of a tannish white is the color of unrefined shea butter. "yellow" shea butter gets its color from either adding palm oil to it or during its extracting process a plant root is used to achieve the color.

IWantBSl09

Unrefined shea butter is sometimes referred to as white because of the contrast in color with the "yellow" shea butter. Yes shea butter that is white as a crayon is ultra refined or refined shea butter, a shea butter that is ivory or more of a tannish white is the color of unrefined shea butter. "yellow" shea butter gets its color from either adding palm oil to it or during its extracting process a plant root is used to achieve the color.

OOOh i see...do you know where I could get the shea butter thats like ivory or tannish white in color? TIA!

IWantBSl09

I just visited your site and saw it there, so I guess I answered my own question right now :grin::grin: lol.. Your site is very nice!

Angkin73

I agree with Chameleonchick. I have the ivory/tannish white kind.

Also, sometimes "yellow shea butter" is actually kpangnan ... which is not shea. Make sure you order the real deal. Here's more info on kpangnan:
http://www.agbangakarite.com/whole_kpangan.php
http://bluemountainbotanicals.com/shop/index.php?main_page=conditions

I was going to quote the exact same thing. I also order my shea from here. http://www.agbangakarite.com/

I have the Pure Unrefined shea from here which has a nutty scent and is ivory color. Its very smooth.

I also have the Unrefined Kpangnan Butter whis is more solid, and gritty. If you smell them both, this one has a slightly stronger nutty smell, more of a coconut smell.

I like them both. Some times I mix them.

Last edited:

naturalgurl

I have the yellowish raw shea butter. I mix other oils in it so mine smells fresh. People tell me it smells like lotion.

Angkin73

I think I'm the only one that loves the smell. I have added Bergamont EO and Grapefruit EO, to it. I left where I could still smell the slight nutty scent of the butter with the citrus..