Which way to go? Natural + Heat, or Keep Relaxin'?

Evo-ny

I'm wondering if it's about time I jump off the relaxer wagon. I used to do it religiously every 2 months, but of course the only stylist in town would put it all the way through to the ends! :wallbash: So after seeing my hair and money go down the drain, I thought "No more of this!"

So I started my first stretch and it's been about 3 and a half months since my last touch up. I went to a "white" salon for a trim and she flatironed my hair beautifully. My new growth had the fresh relaxed look, I was so amazed! She told me that if I'd wanted to, I could bring a relaxer to her and she could do it for me. She said it'd be just like giving her regular clients a touch up on their dyes: "roots only!" It's like she knew more about black hair than the african shop I'd being going to for 10 years!

Anyways, I usually wear my hair straight or with a small wave. When it gets frizzy and new growth comes in, I just can't put a comb through it! :cry3: So now that I've finally found someone to relax my hair PROPERLY, do I keep on relaxin' for the straightness I can work with, or just go natural and flat iron it straight after every wash? Another thing is that I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, which makes my hair revert so bad, it's scary! :lachen:

TL;DR: If you wear your hair bone straight and work out a few times a week, is it better to go with a relaxer and minimal to zero heat, or natural with heat when necessary?

Taina

My principal problem when i flat iron my hair is the reversal when i go to the gym. If you don't want to use your natural curly hair, i suggest you to keep on with the relaxer .. i mean, if the relaxer is not damaging your hair and you already found a person that can apply it properly , well relax your hair will be the best option.

Whimsy

I'm natural and am able to avoid a lot of the reversion, i try to get to the gym a few times a week. My hair can last thru cardio if I knot it tightly on top of my head and dont take it down till my scalp is dry. I used to take it down immediately and tie it down w/ a scarf after cardio till it dried, that kinda worked, but this method works better.

If you want 100% bone straight all the time, i'd say keep relaxing.

In order to be happy with natural hair in all it's kinky glory, I FEEL you have to loosen your views on what "done" is. Your parameters for straight need to be a bit looser since you'll likely be dealing with more reversion than when you're relaxed.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'd say keep relaxing, especially since you've found someone good to do it properly.
it seems like that might work best for your lifestyle, and satisfy the way you want to wear your hair most of the time.

jamaraa

Keep relaxing if you want it straight most or all of the time because natural hair WILL revert.

curlydrea

It seems keeping the relaxer would be better for you. Maybe a mild one to retain more elasticity. There are so many ladies on here who have beautiful relaxed hair, maybe you should follow their lead for a while. I wouldnt recommend being natrual, only to flat iron the life out of it. I guess it depends if your wanting to wear natrual styles at times or not.

Evo-ny

Thanks a lot for the quick replies! I think I'm going to see how the relaxed route takes me, but cutting it down to 3-4 times a year instead of 6.