Which do you do?

LBoogie

When it comes to hardcore protein (such as aphogee) and relaxing, do you do the protien before or after relaxing? I've always been unsure about this. TIA

chicamorena

I do a heavy protein with Aphogee two weeks after I get a relaxer. I do a light protein treatment like Elasta Breakage Control for 20 mins with heat the last wash before my relaxer.

B

ballet_bun

As soon as I'm finished neutralizing , I use a hardcore protein, aphogee. I've always had good results doing this when using no-lye relaxers!

Huggette

ballet_bun said:
As soon as I'm finished neutralizing , I use a hardcore protein, aphogee. I've always had good results doing this when using no-lye relaxers!

same here but i'm lye!! after i relax and after i color!!

Sade7

I usually do a hardcore protein tx a couple of days before I relax, then I do another one right after I relax.

LBoogie

Thanks for the responses ladies.

Ballet Bun, once you neutralize and do the protien, afterward do you deep condition or just use the Aphogee moisturizing conditioner?

Last edited:

Huggette

Lboogie said:

Ballet Bun, once you neutralize and do the protien, afterward do you deep condition or just use the Aphogee moisturizing conditioner?

i know you were asking ballet bun...i actually deep condition everytime i use aphogee. their ballancing stuff doesn't really condition.

that's been my experience anyway...

LBoogie

Huggette said:
i know you were asking ballet bun...i actually deep condition everytime i use aphogee. their ballancing stuff doesn't really condition.

that's been my experience anyway...

Youre response is appreciated Huggette, I asked for that same reason...my hair seemed brittle after just using the balancing conditioner....so brittle that I HAD to follow it up with Elasta's DPR. It worked fine but I was skeptical about doing it again in fear that the results wouldnt be the same.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Lboogie said:
When it comes to hardcore protein (such as aphogee) and relaxing, do you do the protien before or after relaxing? I've always been unsure about this. TIA

When I used to use hardcore protein, e.g., Aphogee, I applied it one week before and one week after my touchups. HTH.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Aphogee is too messy for me. I use Nexxus Emergencee and I use it 1 week prior and 1 week after relaxing followed by a deep, moisturizing treatment.

LBoogie

I see most do it a week before and a week after...Ive never considered that since its only supposed to be every six weeks...is that really a "safe" thing to do? what were the results of those that did?

Porsche19

The balancing conditiioner with the aphogee is supposed to be used to be applied afterwards to make the hair's pH/elasticity/porosity normal or better after the treatment, isn't it?

Aren't you supposed to deep condition after you conditione with the balancing moisturizer anyway?

B

ballet_bun

Lboogie said:

Hey Lboogie,

No, I don't use the Aphogee moisturizing conditioner, because I don't like it. I just use a deep moisturizing conditioner, to which I sometimes add extra sheabutter.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Lboogie said:
I see most do it a week before and a week after...Ive never considered that since its only supposed to be every six weeks...is that really a "safe" thing to do? what were the results of those that did?

It was safe for my hair but then my hair has never had a problem with protein. My hair remained strong, post-touchup, b/c of the protein conditioners.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I think Emergencee has something on its directions about using before or after chemical if I am not mistaken.

I use light protein like GPB one week before relaxing and Emergencee one week after relaxer to help with the stop any breakage and I used a lot of moisterizering in between

carolina_belle

I use a strong protein like Emergencee a week before a relaxer to get my strands in fighting shape. My stylist told me not to do a heavy-duty protein right after a relaxer because it causes reversion. Now, I use a light protein like Keraphix for the first wash and Emergencee a week after the relaxer.

Jewell

After relaxing I immediately normalize, then neutralize with shampoo. I use a good protein reconstructor (Nexxus Keraphix) and follow with a heavy moisturizing conditioner (Nexxus Humectress) so my hair doesn't feel like straw.