When can I wash my hair??

NYCQT16

Natural Again
This might be a silly question but I still harbor a few "black hair myths". I was wondering how long after my relaxer can I wash my hair? I just got my relaxer on Saturday. Thanks in advance

auntybe

I washed my hair two days after my relaxer. It didn't seem to change anything. My old hair stylist used to tell me to wait a week after a relaxer.

HTH

Mariaat40

I normally wash my hair a couple of days after a relaxer because I work out. I've never had a problem. There has been some discussion about the use of strong protein conditioners soon after a relaxer but I think washing it is fine.

Lorraine

I have washed my hair a day to one week following a relaxer and have never had a problem.

OT - does anyone know why it's recommended that we wait 1-2 weeks to wash?

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
I have washed my hair a day to one week following a relaxer and have never had a problem.

OT - does anyone know why it's recommended that we wait 1-2 weeks to wash?

[/ QUOTE ]

My theory is that we are told to wait 1-2 weeks, because that's usually the schedule on which people make their stylist appointments!!!
They lock you in so that you have to come back to them and lo and behold, since you usually come every 1-2 weeks, you can come back to them and be none the wiser about how EASY it is to wash you own hair at home!
I have washed my hair as soon as the day after, especially if my hair was loaded down with product against my will. Yuck!

myco

I agree with Ubavka, when people are trying to preserve a style, they usually don't wash until they go back to the salon. I've come home and washed my hair the same day if I didn't like the style, but usually I wash it after about 2 or 3 days regardless. According to "Legally Blonde", you can't wash a curly perm for up to 48 hours afterwards because it will deactivate the chemicals. But I don't think that applies to relaxers. I think my hair looks and feels better after the 1st wash anyway.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
I agree with Ubavka, when people are trying to preserve a style, they usually don't wash until they go back to the salon. I've come home and washed my hair the same day if I didn't like the style, but usually I wash it after about 2 or 3 days regardless. According to "Legally Blonde", you can't wash a curly perm for up to 48 hours afterwards because it will deactivate the chemicals. But I don't think that applies to relaxers. I think my hair looks and feels better after the 1st wash anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ quoting from "Legally Blonde", but that is true for curl perms, but I don't think so for relaxers either.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I have come home from the salon getting a touch up and went straight to the shower to wash my hair (I hated the styling products the hair stylist used in my hair) and had no problems. I have done this at least 3 times that I can remember.

chocolate01

I think the reason some people say 1-2 weeks is that they still hold onto the myth that if you let water touch your hair too soon after it will revert your hair. But relaxers permenantly alter the structure of your hair so washing whenever you feel like should not be a problem. I usually follow my weekly routine and wash the following week.