What's Your Hair Philosopy??

Soul♥Flower

Here's mine...

1. Oil is your very best friend!
*I use it daily in oil or creme form, sometime twice a day

2. Braids/twists are the best way to keep your hair healthy while growing.
*I braid my hair everynight after I moisturize and after I wash my hair I use twist when knew growth is out of control.

3. Never blow dry.
*Makes my hair frizzy, and damages it very quickly.

4. Hair should ALWAYS be shiny and never frizzy.
*If my hair ain't shining then I know it's no longer healthy. If it's frizzy then I know it's damaged.

5.Dark hair always looks great.
*Right now I'm wearing a mixture of soft black and darkest brown.

6.Don't be afraid to experiment to find what works best for you.

....I think that's it, sometimes it changes but #'s 1,3,6 never change.

MizaniMami

Great Thread!!!

Here are mines:

1. My hair is my golddigger.
Yes Aveda DR is expensive and yes to some it may cost too much but I think my hair is worth every penny.

2. Protein is not that bad.

3. Once I reach my goals (waistlength) I will probably enjoy my hair too much and it will break right back off leading me back to square one.:lol:
And I am okay with that, atleast I would have enjoyed it instead of keeping it "protected" at all times.

4. Longer hair makes ANYONE (IMO) prettier.

5. The inner PJ in me is the me that is always searching for something higher. And IMO there is nothing wrong with always reaching for something better.

seeminglysweet

My hair philosophy has always been to:

Sleep in something, a bonnet, scarf or on a satin pillow

Ask questions and advice from those who have hair that inspires you

and

Just do what makes sense

sareca

These are actually things I've said to the people about my hair (usually I'm being a smartie pants). ;)
  • Baldheaded (excl. illness or personal choice) people can't tell me how to "take care" of my hair and you shouldn't let them tell you either.
  • I can't think of one hair product that has killed anyone (incl. relaxers). Don't believe the hype.
  • The choice between food and hair products is not always cut and dry. :lachen:

Isis

• Less product on the hair is best.
  • Focus more on the journey of growing health, beautiful hair rather than how many inches longer it is this week.
  • Keep the hair care journey as much fun as possible.
  • If a setback should ever happen, focus on correcting it and how your hair will look once it's corrected rather than focus on the setback.
  • Talk to your hair, speaking with loving words only.
  • Only think good, positive thoughts about your hair (and self) and express yourself that way when talking about your hair to others.
  • Keep your regimen as simple as possible.
  • Share your successes and new ideas with others on the same path who are supportive (such as LHCF and other hair boards). You can really help a multitude of people this way.
  • Be consistent once you find a good hair care regimen.
  • Once hair has been detangled with a wide toothed comb (Jilbere, bone comb), use hands and fingers only to style daily.
  • Stay away from heat if your hair is relaxed (or as little as possible). Heat and relaxers do not go together.
  • Keep an open mind to new techniques and ideas that will come up.
  • Keep your hair protected from the elements (wind, sun, extreme temperatures) by wearing silk or satin scarves.
  • Only put healthy, nourishing food into your body.
  • Drinking at least 1/2 your weight in ounces of water daily moisturizes the skin and hair from the inside out (with many other benefits).
  • Keep your hair and ends moisturized.
  • Love and appreciate your hair as it is right now, no matter what it looks like.

Neroli

In general, less is more . . .

--no heat, just let it dry naturally/air dry is the healthiest thing I do for my relaxed hair and its waaay much less work then when I used heat
--stretch relaxers and do them less frequently, I went from touching up every 6 weeks to now every 12 weeks, saves money, time, and my hair is healthier
--never, ever use a brush. period. I've learned to like my little "naps" that won't lay down and I'm no longer fighting my texture. Less worry, less time, less breakage from brushing and my hair is longer, heathier, although not "bone straigt" but looking great nonetheless
--comb as little as possible. I only comb my hair on wash days and no longer try to "style" my hair, I finger comb and smooth daily with hands, and save the combing for when I detangle during wash, as a result, I spend less then a minute daily dealing with my hair . . .
--wash once a week, generally. This rule is very flexible and depends on what I'm doing, but in the normal scheme of things, I wash once a week. There occasions when I'll go 2 weeks or when I'll wash more frequently, like every 3 to 4 days, but more often than not, I do once a week.
--stick to a few good products (good poo, good moisturizing condish and good protein condish, good leave-in and good oils) and stop trying something new every other week like I use to. Once I stopped the PJ'sm my hair started behaving
--avoid 'cones as much as possible, especially in leave-ins.

Oh, well, that's all I can think of now, but definitely, if I just keep my hair clean and moisturized once a week, it retains lenght and health. . .

peacelove

1. Keep hair as clean and light as possible. My hair is fine and product build up snaps my hair. I need to clarify more and not be obsessed with heavy moisture shampoos and conditioners, oils and gels that weigh down my hair.

2. Healthy hair starts from inside. Vitamins and good eating habits will do the most to help me reach healthy hair goals.

3. One size does not fit all. Just because it is a hit on this board, does not mean it works for me. Listen to my own hair needs and know what works for me.

4. Health before length. I don't want length if the ends are thin and uneven.

~Nigeria~

Cool thread... here's mine

Don't be afraid of trimming
As needed trimming is fine. But healthy ends are just as important as the rest of your hair. Holding on to raggedy ends for the sake of length... not cute :nono:. What's the point of having long hair if the ends look like crap. It defeats the purpose. Do you really think people are looking at your "long" hair or those poor ends hanging on for dear life? :(

Keep it simple
I don't really do too much to my hair anymore. Wash and set every week, ocassional deep conditioning, protein treatment, and/or clarifying treatment. Oil my scalp every few days. Nothing more nothing less.

Patience is key
I don't really rely on my growth aids anymore. In fact the only thing I still use is WGO and that's only because I love it. I figure hair grows no matter what so my job is just to keep it healthy and wait patiently until I reach my goal.

jngn

Good thread.
Here are my philosophies and what I would tell my daughter.

-Trims are necessary. Even 1/16 of an inch is better than holding on to split ends. Trim it away slowly.
-ALWAYS Sleep with a hair covering.
-Oil the hair ends.
-Don't oil the scalp.
-Massage the scalp until it's warm.
-Keep your hands out of your head. Low/no manipulation is best.
-Don't let people with damaged hair, long or short, come near your head. If they can't keep their own hair healthy, how are they going to treat yours?
-Shampoo at least once a week.
-Always, always, always use a deep conditioner after a shampoo.

Cichelle

For my hair, I have the following "philosophy"/rules:

keep it simple/less product is better
stay away from stylists
NO TRIMS (dust if absolutely necessary)
no chemicals
no heat
keep the hair in protective styles
lots of water
strive for good nutrition
moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...

Sweet_Ambrosia

*Moisturize
*Baby your ends
*Keep your hair and scalp clean
*Use less heat as possible
*Trim only when needed
*Little to No Manipulation is always best
*Keep it simple
*Be consistent

LovelyLionessa

*Never rake a comb through ends on dry hair. Instead save combing for wash days with a wide tooth comb and detangle slowly from ends working your way up.
*Use minimal heat.
*Airdry hair and maintain it with fingerstyling.
*Baby ends. They need all the moisturizing, and oiling they can get. Never apply direct heat to them or over manipulate them in any way.
*Protect hair at night with a silk scarf.
*Do low manipulation styling like bantus, twistouts, rollersets, or buns.
*Condition like there's no tomorrow!
*Dust trim when you see a split or knot in hair via Search & Destroy method.
*Use hair products that contain sunscreen.
*Stretch relaxers (every 3 months.)

Last edited:

ravenmerlita

-- keep it simple
-- rinse daily, condition often, shampoo less
-- limit products with alcohol, silicones and sulfates
-- detangle when wet, no combing when dry
-- trim every 8-10 weeks
-- water & vitamins
-- no rough handling, no insensitive stylists

bajanplums1

-- no heat. only air dried followed by caruso or rollerset and sit under the hood dryer.

-- condition, condition and more condition . It is worth it to try different conditioners to find what worth's it If you want to try a costly brand, buy the smallest size first. condition with 2:1 ratio of moisture and protein.

-- be consistent . slacking off by not keeping hair protected before bed, not washing and conditioning regularly is a sure way to a setback.

-- log onto lhcf for inspiration, encouragement, and advice.

-- don't be afraid to make the hard decisions. sometimes you have to cut, sometimes you have to go to work with an airdried bun, just so your hair can be healthy and do the rollerset later that night.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
-Nobody knows my hair better than me

-Patience will show more progress better than any growth aid

-Once you start to love your hair, it will love you back

-PJism isn't so bad for some people

caribeandiva

Human being
-biweekly shampoos and deep conditioners are non-negotiable
-trims are neccessary
-always use a gentle hand when combing your hair
-never use small tooth combs
-heat is not always bad for the hair

cocowhite

Here's mine:

~ Airdrying is your best friend
~ Patience is the ultimate key
~ Take time out for your hair relax and enjoy, this is wash day (think of it as a hair spa treatment)
~ Wash at least once a week
~ Detangle under running water
~ Moisture, Moisture, Moisture
~ Enjoy the hair journey
~ Little manipulation
~ It is okay to experiment
~ Drinks lots of water (also skin benefit)
~ Eat healthy (whole body benefit)
~ At least take a multivitamin
~ Share information with others

Candy_C

heres mine!

• My hair loves water and maybe yours does too!
  • Airdrying is KING!
  • Take advice from ALL, even those with shorter hair are going on with THINGS! take a look 4 yourself...
  • i believe in having TWO methods of doing your hair after washing. i will either do a twist set, or bun it...one way i need grease every 4-5 days and the way i need 2 moisturize with a water based moisturizer daily...
  • Use grease on your ends IF your doing braidouts...grease doesn't seem to be beneficial when use on loose hair..well not mine anyway!
  • Cholesterol is the one thing everyone should have in the hair stock...it serves a purpose just like protein and moisture...
  • i've noticed that those with extra long (relaxed) hair dont wash often...hmmmm...i'm going back to every 7-10 days!!

locabouthair

don't be afraid to trim. trimming makes the hair look a lot neater and healthier. i love a fresh trim.

moisturize like crazy

leave it alone/ less manipulation

shunta

Candy_C said:
heres mine!
  • My hair loves water and maybe yours does too!
  • Airdrying is KING!
  • Take advice from ALL, even those with shorter hair are going on with THINGS! take a look 4 yourself...
  • i believe in having TWO methods of doing your hair after washing. i will either do a twist set, or bun it...one way i need grease every 4-5 days and the way i need 2 moisturize with a water based moisturizer daily...
  • Use grease on your ends IF your doing braidouts...grease doesn't seem to be beneficial when use on loose hair..well not mine anyway!
  • Cholesterol is the one thing everyone should have in the hair stock...it serves a purpose just like protein and moisture...
  • i've noticed that those with extra long (relaxed) hair dont wash often...hmmmm...i'm going back to every 7-10 days!!
Hey girl what do you put on the ends of your hair to keep it from unraveling when you do the twistout? Please help. Your hair is very pretty by the way.:)