what relaxer do you use?

caralexis2005

Hi,
I am looking for a new relaxer. I prefer lye. Please tell me what relaxer you use, in what strength, and how straight it makes your hair. I really want to find the right one for me.
thanks

myco

Affirm is very good, but if you're worried about price and easy access, I like Vitale Mo' Body Sensitive Scalp and Revlon Realistic Mild. All of them are lye relaxers.

I would never have found out about the Vitale if my mom hadn't left the top off of a brand new tub of Affirm and it all spilled out. I just refused to spend $40 again when I had just gotten that tub. Her hairdresser recommended it for her because of her scalp, and I decided to try it because my scalp had been acting funny lately. I was really impressed. It only comes in one strength, which I would say is regular so if you're used to mild you might want to speed up your application time. I still have a wave pattern (intentional) left in my hair if I airdry, but it gets straight with a roller set and there is no frizziness. No burning during application and no flat hair afterwards. I might invest in the foaming protein conditioner as my regular protein treatment.
I paid around $7.00 for everything. It also comes with a prerelaxer treatment to protect older hair.

The results from Revlon Realistic are in the same class. But I like the Affirm reconstructor better than anything I've seen from Revlon. The lye version of the Realistic used to come in a box, but I think they are phasing it out. You'll probably only see it in the tub, with the neutralizer and after relaxer treatment sold seperately.

The lye relaxers I hated were Tones and Textures and Optimum.

HTH

Tracy

PCJ Formula 1

MissB

I currently use Affirm Fiberguard Lye Normal Strength. My stylist applies it and it makes my hair straighter than any other product on the market. I have also used Vitale with aloe and shea butter it was pretty good. But, the Affirm makes my hair look more silky.

Good Luck,

MissB

myco

The place I order from online (www.sheldeez.com) sells the Affirm Lye in the 4lb or 8lb tub. The sensitive scalp and dry/itchy scalp come in smaller tubs, but they are sold as "packs".

Robin41

In salon: Mizani (mild)
At home: Motions with Oil Moisturizer (mild)

I like both but I prefer not to do my own touch-ups.

DigitalRain

I use Motions Oil Moisturizer and the Regular Lye relaxer in Super. I have kinky coarse and resistant 4b hair. I've used this brand for 4 years, but I'm thinking of switching since lately, my relaxers have not been taking too well.

Karonica

The salons always use Exclusives on my hair. I've had an Affirm one twice and a Mizani once. But generally, it's Exclusives.

quitestorm22

Why do you like the Mizani perm so much. Do you notice that you can go longer inbetween perms, hair straighter etc. Where do you go to have the Mizani applied. I am asking because I am thinking of trying the perm . I have been using Motions.

jellynote

well b4 I moved overseas that was the relaxer my old beautician use to use an it worked really good. The only lye relaxer that I can find over here is Affirm and Motions. I got mine online at www.namebrandbeauty.com and I believe that some people in the states can just walk into BSS an purchase it. Also www.sheldeez.com sells it also. For me when I was in thwe states I could go longer in between relaxing my hair. They both are good relaxers so you can't go wrong with either one.

SoniT

At the salon: Affirm sensitive scalp
At Home: Motions regular relaxer

I agree that the Affirm relaxer got my hair as straight as ever. I've NEVER had a relaxer get my hair as silky and straight as Affirm.