What product can I use on my pressed hair to hold a curl?

zzirvingj

What product can I use on my pressed hair to hold a curl? I am so tired of my hair falling flat whenever I curl it when it's pressed...

Christelyn

I personally don't use any oil-based products before I press. After I dry my hair I rub Ted Gibson's Hair Sheets all over and then proceed to flat iron. It give protection, coats the hair with botanicals and leaves it light feeling.

turnergirl

I beleive the best way to have curls on straightened hair is to rollerset it first. If you rollerset your hair first then you will always have some type of curl. At least that has been true in my experience.

zzirvingj

I beleive the best way to have curls on straightened hair is to rollerset it first. If you rollerset your hair first then you will always have some type of curl. At least that has been true in my experience.

I actually agree but I was trying to avoid rollersetting my hair because of the time involved. Also, the rollersetting is great for curls but I have a difficult time getting the root area pressed straight without disturbing the curls on the length/ends of my hair.

I was hoping there was something....anything out there that I could just use on it to hold the curl next time I pressed and curled it.

PatTodd

You might be able to rub a bit of mousse between your fingers and then down the curl before rolling on a satin roller without disturbing your press.

zzirvingj

You might be able to rub a bit of mousse between your fingers and then down the curl before rolling on a satin roller without disturbing your press.

Hhhmmm...I've never tried mousse before. Does it usually contain water? I wouldn't want it to revert to my press....

PatTodd

Hhhmmm...I've never tried mousse before. Does it usually contain water? I wouldn't want it to revert to my press....

It does usually contain water...but I'm talking about using the barest, barest bit...not enough to actually wet or revert your hair, but just enough so that when it dries in the curler your curl stays.

On my own hair, I put my hair in a very high ponytail, put a tad of mousse on my ponytail and then roll it into a giant pincurl and pin under. The next day, I have a giant spiral curl which when styled, produces uniformly curly ends.

Try it when you don't have anywhere to go the next day or just before you are going to get your hair re-pressed and see if it works for you! I would also finger comb only after you unroll.

lana

When I was natural (texlaxed now) I would only be able to keep curls in my hair IF my ends were properly cut. If I was in the process of growing my hair out and my ends were kinda here and there the curl wouldn't hold.

I would not suggest using mousse on your hair - it can be really drying. I would suggest Dudley's Creme Press. It worked for me and I'm a 4a/b head. But in the meantime check your ends to see if they need a small, tiny trim. You will be amazed at how a trim helps your hair retain a curl. :yep:

I would not dare rollerset my hair when I was natural - it just wouldn't work for me. But everyone is different. :drunk: