What is the Curly Girl method?

prettykinks

I was looking thru the Naturallycurly.com site and they metioned the Curly Girl method several times. I tried to find it but I couldn't. Has anyone tried this method or know someone who has tried it? :D

Healthb4Length

The curly girl method is very good especially if you are a natural or have texturized hair. Basically the author has a no shampoo regime where you only wash your hair with a conditioner, hence, a conditioner wash. The author says that shampoos are drying for curlies and kinkies but if it's necessary, use a shampoo only once a month or so to get rid of buildup. I've tried this method it works well but for me, the conditioner only washes were jacking up my scalp, I'd be itching the next day. I do a modified co-wash where I put gobs of conditioner on the ends of my hair and shampoo only the New Growth...so far so good...I hope that this helps. Many other members also use this method...I know that Den1 has a very detailed description in her album but right now that album is under construction...I'm sure you'll get more info from other members.:)

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I'm a curly-girl! I love it.. I CW everyday and scalp wash once a week with No Poo or V05 Kiwi-Lime conditioner. My hair is SOOOOOOOOOO soft and curly.. well, my "normal" hair...not that gross scab hair..

Here is a great explanation of Curly Girl...

http://motowngirl.com/no_shampoo.htm You can prolly get the book from the library... or buy it..it's only $10. She is coming out with a new book though.. not sure when..but I can't wait!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
it's when you don't use shampoo to wash your hair. Instead, you may use conditioner. ;) When I go completely natural, I plan on doing the curly girl method. But right now, I need a clarifying shampoo to get rid of product buildup.

prettykinks

Ok thanks for the information ladies. I guess I'm already a Curly Girl. I have been doing the no poo method for the past year and a half.

deedabug

also i have been doin conditioner washes way before i heard of the method...i think its the way you put the conditioner in(i put a handful to each section combing thru with fingers) and rinse it out (hold my head back under the shower..not rinsing it all out)...since this is my curly girl month i wash daily...i have to...or my stuff will be tangled and dry by morning

i referred back to the book about the itchin...i tried the brown sugar with conditioner as a scalp scub...i chose fructis sleek and shine for that

the book is called curly girl the handbook by lorraine massey...just in case u need to run to the bathroom with it before u shower lol

ximenia

CG routine involves avoiding shampoos that strip the hair - mainly SLS, but you can use mild shampoos which are referred to as low poo. It also involves avoiding silicones and mineral oil although I'm not sure if mineral oil is a definite no-no.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I have this book. It's what inspired me to do my big chop. And the author is correct, the longer you go with out shampooing the better your curl definition gets and the better they look. Just be careful of build up...you may need to shampoo ever so often or clarify using ACV. The author also has her own product line, tho I've never tried it. DevaCurl I believe is the name.