weird hairloss with braids around edges

NappFrizz83

when ever i take my freestyle braids down some braids around my edges have what looks like follicles sticking out of it (the stuff on the end of a strand of hair) and the rest of the hair with the follicle things on it comes out..is this shedded hair???

P

patient1

when ever i take my freestyle braids down some braids around my edges have what looks like follicles sticking out of it (the stuff on the end of a strand of hair) and the rest of the hair with the follicle things on it comes out..is this shedded hair???

Depending on how long they've been in it can be shed hair or traction alopecia. If your hairline is thinning, it is likely both.

p1

cuteazz1

When you wear braids don't get them braided too tight and redo the edges every 4-5 weeks.You also have to change braid styles EX: 1st you wear micros then cornrows then kinky twists then micros again..with 2 week rests in between each session.

NappFrizz83

When you wear braids don't get them braided too tight and redo the edges every 4-5 weeks.You also have to change braid styles EX: 1st you wear micros then cornrows then kinky twists then micros again..with 2 week rests in between each session.
thanks girl...but im about sick of wearing freestyles...i really want to get sewn in's or maybe just individual braids all the way down

Nonie

Why not wear the front in extension free braids or twists and create bangs? While I've never had traction alopecia because I'm careful to redo the ages as soon as the braids get loose and to always use less hair than the thickness of the section it's attached to, I just think it's a safer way if you're not able to redo your braids yourself as needed. By CW the bangs, and letting them drip-dry, you can get them to hang down tidily:

Alternatively, you can do mini-cornrows at the front w/o extensions and just tuck their "tails" inside the extension braids, or wear a band to hide that demarcation. That's another thing I've done when I've wanted to play it safe:

NappFrizz83

Why not wear the front in extension free braids or twists and create bangs? While I've never had traction alopecia because I'm careful to redo the ages as soon as the braids get loose and to always use less hair than the thickness of the section it's attached to, I just think it's a safer way if you're not able to redo your braids yourself as needed. By CW the bangs, and letting them drip-dry, you can get them to hang down tidily:

Alternatively, you can do mini-cornrows at the front w/o extensions and just tuck their "tails" inside the extension braids, or wear a band to hide that demarcation. That's another thing I've done when I've wanted to play it safe:

i was thinking of getting feed in cornrows next time so nothing would be pulling my edges and getting singles in the back

Nonie

Just make sure whoever does your feed-in cornrows is someone who could braid a baby without making them cry, ie someone who can braid firmly without making the braids tight - otherwise you'll be back where you are today. There are many braiders who cannot add hair without pulling hard on your the person's hair, even when doing cornrows. So just be careful.