Weekly Protein - Is it just me?

I use LeKair Cholesterol Plus (the plain original kind, it's orange). It's less than $2 at Walmart here...I guess that's Asda over there?...

It's the only product that I used while relaxed that I still use as a natural. I just can't let it go. It makes my hair feel stronger yet soft at the same time.

claud-uk. I use Neem oil in my weekly MT Mix DC, and in my hair cleanser. It can relieve dry and itchy scalp, dandruff, the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, as well as giving you silky, shiny, stronger hair and encourage growth. It nourishes the scalp and improve its general immunity and health. I've been using Neem oil since last year, and it has done what no Derm topical, or anti-dandruff shampoo could ever do. So I suck it up, and endure the smell...

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-hair.html

@claud-uk If you're doing Sally, look at ION Reconstructor. It is excellent.

IDareT'sHair - thx but I'm based in Spain and get my stuff brought over from the UK. I tried Sally's Express (their UK site) and found this, is this correct? http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=515668

I use LeKair Cholesterol Plus (the plain original kind, it's orange). It's less than $2 at Walmart here...I guess that's Asda over there?...

It's the only product that I used while relaxed that I still use as a natural. I just can't let it go. It makes my hair feel stronger yet soft at the same time.

manter26 - Asda :yep:

I'm doing a moisture treatment right now with Mirpur AV Cholesterol, then I'll be doing my PTx with Mirpur Soy Cholesterol, then a DC with Queen Helene... Cholesterol :lick::lol: I just finished the LeKair AV Cholesterol which I loved but the Mirpur is the same price for 41oz as LeKair costs for 20oz!

I use Neem oil in my weekly MT Mix DC, and in my hair cleanser. It can relieve dry and itchy scalp, dandruff, the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, as well as giving you silky, shiny, stronger hair and encourage growth. It nourishes the scalp and improve its general immunity and health. I've been using Neem oil since last year, and it has done what no Derm topical, or anti-dandruff shampoo could ever do. So I suck it up, and endure the smell...

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-hair.html

MrsJaiDiva - thanks very much for the info. I can't put anything on my scalp, it creeps me out a little and makes my head so sensitive I can't do scalp massages :perplexed

I'd like to try and use the two tubs that I have, bc my coarse hair has zero natural shine and doesn't even get silky with a flatiron - when you add neem to your DC does the smell linger after rinsing? If all is good I'm going to start using this in my midweek DC!

I'm trying sth new with my PTx today - I'm doing a moisturizing Tx before my protein instead of after. I will use my heating cap with the MTx, rinse quickly and apply PTx while hair is still warm and cuticles are raised. Will follow the PTx with a DC (maybe use Reconstructor before the DC if my hair feels odd), then my usual ACV rinse to close the cuticles, and post my results here later.

claud-uk I always co-cleanse after using my MT Mix to DC...always. Then I oil rinse, and condition/style. I never smell the neem in my hair after all that!

I've recently come to the realization that I need to use protein once a week when I wash. My hair is overly porous and protein is supposed tp help with that. I think i'm going to use aphogee 2-step once a month, ors hair mayo, and henna. I might need to find a way to 'proteinize' my mosturizing conditioners. I'm seeing to many broken hairs in the comb for my liking.

I think my fine hair may like protein also. I have the Ao gbp or whatever its called. Any others I should try out or is adding an egg enough?

I use a mild reconstructor every week on my relaxed ends (I'm transitioning) and on all my hair every other week. I have overly porous hair and small frequent doses of protein helps keep it in check.

In rotation last couple months: Joico K-pak and Alfaparf real cream. I keep the protein on only for a few minutes, 10 mins tops, following up with a moisture DC.

Other honorable protein mentions:
Alfaparf Rigen
Aphogee 2 minute
AO Island naturals

claud-uk I always co-cleanse after using my MT Mix to DC...always. Then I oil rinse, and condition/style. I never smell the neem in my hair after all that!

MrsJaiDiva - So simple and so clever - I read recently on the threads about doing a DC before a poo, it sort of makes sense so thought I'd try next wash day. Now I can do a DC with the neem, hopefully this takes me a step closer to getting my regi down :yep: Thanks!

I've recently come to the realization that I need to use protein once a week when I wash. My hair is overly porous and protein is supposed tp help with that. I think i'm going to use aphogee 2-step once a month, ors hair mayo, and henna. I might need to find a way to 'proteinize' my mosturizing conditioners. I'm seeing to many broken hairs in the comb for my liking.

beloved1bx - I don't think you should go straight in and use the Aphogee 2 Step once a month, on top of the mayo and henna. Maybe start with every 6 weeks (I think that's what it says on the bottle) and see how it goes at first? I just think that it's a lot easier to add protein as you need it than you fix an accidental overload.

I think my fine hair may like protein also. I have the Ao gbp or whatever its called. Any others I should try out or is adding an egg enough?

Blairx0 - you could start with adding the egg and see if that's enough for your hair? Egg sort of gets stronger the longer you leave it on (minutes wise) and it's natural, all good! I also add a few drops of Soy Sauce that contains just Hydrolyzed Protein and Sugar as the ingredients if I feel I need an extra boost. The bottle cost less than $2 and it'll take about 3 years to use it all!

I use a mild reconstructor every week on my relaxed ends (I'm transitioning) and on all my hair every other week. I have overly porous hair and small frequent doses of protein helps keep it in check.

In rotation last couple months: Joico K-pak and Alfaparf real cream. I keep the protein on only for a few minutes, 10 mins tops, following up with a moisture DC.

Other honorable protein mentions:
Alfaparf Rigen
Aphogee 2 minute
AO Island naturals

halee_J - Great tip - saves product, focuses treatment where needed and doesn't overly treat the virgin hair :up:

Just want to say thanks ladies, This info is priceless, it should be made a sticky :grin:

I use a light/med protein biweekly and I henna every other month. I think my hair has thrived because of this. I hardly have any breakage.

I must use protien weekly or my hair wont accept any moisture. So i usually protein treat before I moisture dc. If i do it the other way around the moisture dc wont do anything but waste product. I love aphogee. Weekly i use the 2 minute, monthly i use the 2 step. My hair hates egg protein.

I must use protien weekly or my hair wont accept any moisture. So i usually protein treat before I moisture dc. If i do it the other way around the moisture dc wont do anything but waste product. I love aphogee. Weekly i use the 2 minute, monthly i use the 2 step. My hair hates egg protein.

Hey, good point! I have the AO HSR (moisturizing DC) and thought it was mediocre compared to the GPB, but much better than any other moisturizng conditioner on the market. I had been using the HSR alone. However, for the first time last week, I used the GPB first (on dry hair), then rinsed and applied the HSR, it was excellent. I think I am like you, I absolutely have to have the protein in order for my hair to accept a moisturizing conditioner.

Royalq virtuenow beloved1bx - ladies, do you think there is any merit in doing a DC or Moisturizing Tx before the protein followed by a MTx or DC after? Ready to listen and learn!

beloved1bx - Try adding a few drops of Hydrolyzed (Liquid) Protein OR an egg white into your regular moisturizing cons to firm them up. Braggs Liquid Aminos or some kind of soy sauce with nothing but Hydrolyzed Protein as the ingredient.

If you want to stick to products made specifically for treating your hair, how about a Protein Cholesterol? LeKair, Lustrasilk and Mirpur are all good cheap thick brands that will treat your hair w/o making it hard.

Yeah my hair loves protein, I do Aveda DR almost weekly I usually prepoo with megatek - every week, hard aphogee every 6-8 weeks, my hair loves protein, when I don't use enough it starts thinning. I'm very fine haired

Royalq - sorry, I'm not the best communicator. My normal routine is Protein, then Moisture and then a DC. I was trying to ask what you think of doing the following steps:

1) Moisture Treatment
2) Protein
3) DC

versus

1) DC
2) Protein
3) Moisture Treatment

Thanks very much!

Edited to add: But I think from reading all the posts here that protein is needed first in order for the hair to accept moisture, so I'm thinking that the second option is best?

claud-uk, to me Moisture treatment and DC are the same thing. They aren't different. so my steps are
-shampoo
-Protein treatment
-DC (moisture treatment)

claud-uk what is your moisture treatment? All i need is my DC's, no additional treatment. I focus on protein only for my weekly routine. Every now and then I need a moisturizng DC, so from now on, I will do the Protein DC first, then follow w/the moisturizng DC.

claud-uk def didn't know about the soy sauce. Thanks for the tip! I will def add an egg to one of my reg conditioners this weekend.

I refer to a DC as anything I leave on my hair for extended time and many times use a heating cap. For protein treatments that tend to leave my hair feeling dry, like henna or aphogee 2-step I always use a moisturizing DC after. And I think that's a general rule of thumb for most that you do a protein treatment first then mistrusting DC. Ors mayo always leaves my hair feeling soft so I rarely feel the need to DC after.

Last edited:
I love protein too, but I haven't been using any lately because I need moisture when I stretch. But when I was using neutral protein filler teice a month, I didn't need to do heavy protein treatments ever and I never had breakage.

My hair needs protein but I got off track by trying different products. Now I plan to go back to Cathy Howse's conditioner...not sure why I stopped using it in the first place.

I love protein too, but I haven't been using any lately because I need moisture when I stretch. But when I was using neutral protein filler teice a month, I didn't need to do heavy protein treatments ever and I never had breakage.

Angelinhell - Neutral protein filler? What dat?

claud-uk def didn't know about the soy sauce. Thanks for the tip! I will def add an egg to one of my reg conditioners this weekend.

I refer to a DC as anything I leave on my hair for extended time and many times use a heating cap. For protein treatments that tend to leave my hair feeling dry, like henna or aphogee 2-step I always use a moisturizing DC after. And I think that's a general rule of thumb for most that you do a protein treatment first then mistrusting DC. Ors mayo always leaves my hair feeling soft so I rarely feel the need to DC after.

beloved1bx - Thx, PTx first from now on!

Also, you might want to use just the white in your PTx and then the yolk in your DC. If not you can just put the whole thing into your PTx.

Last edited:
claud-uk what is your moisture treatment? All i need is my DC's, no additional treatment. I focus on protein only for my weekly routine. Every now and then I need a moisturizng DC, so from now on, I will do the Protein DC first, then follow w/the moisturizng DC.

virtuenow - I use cholesterols to moisturize. I just finished up a tub of Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol and replaced it with Mirpur AVC which costs the same price for 40oz as Lustrasilk costs for 20oz (about $2). I always add a lil something in for extra moisture and strength... usually Avo Oil and/or Coconut Oil.

On flat iron day I also mix in a dedicated MTx - IC Fantasia Deep Moisturizing Tx - to make sure my hair has as much moisture as possible before applying heat.

My DCs are currently Queen Helene Cholesterol / Keracare Natural Textures Humecto / Creme of Nature Argan Oil Con. Again, I never use these alone, always with oils added. Two days ago I added Castor Oil into my DC for the first time thanks to recommendations from ladies on the forum and the results were SO good that this will now be a regi staple!

This page should be a good reference for moisturizing products (it's a UK site but you have so much more available there in the US that anything you like the look of you should have no probs getting in the US):

http://www.pakcosmetics.com/hair-care/hair-moisturizers

Last edited:
claud-uk, I was asking because you used "treatment" and "DC" in the same sentence as if they were different things. I don't like those cholesterol conditioners at all, my hair laughed at them.

Back