Wearing my natural hair in a bun...with a PART

zzirvingj

This is something I've never been able to do. And it seems like such a simple thing. I always wear my natural bun with all of my hair pulled back.

I want to wear it parted on the side, but my hair doesn't seem to ever want to lay down right when I try to do this.

Anyone have any tips?? Or pics of your natural hair pulled back...but parted??

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
yu can part it and make it a low bun:yep: ive got some piics of my cousin with her hair inna bun parted(=

ill upload them when iget home and find them.

NikStarrr

That's the only way I wear my buns. Usually a center part.

drappedup

I have always worn my hair with a side part since....wow, like I was 11, lol....so my hair just naturally let's me do my hair in high/low buns with my part. I have tried to do center parts (looks awful on me, but also my hair does not want to lie flat....AT ALL!), and once and a while I will just comb my whole hair back with no part at all. But that look is so blank to me so I usually will wear a headband or end up making my side part after all, lol. But yeah, having a side part and a low bun should be easier. I think I can only do higher buns with my side part because my hair is so accustomed to my side part. :grin:

zzirvingj

Nikstar, you know I love your hair girl!!!

Anyways, I've never tried the middle part. I'd like to part it on the side and have it "swooped over" on the side just a little bit...but it NEVER wants to lay down when I try to do that!

:(

What gives??

Chanteuse

I don't have natural hair but I think if you make the part in your bun when your hair is damp, add styling products (gel, pomade butter, etc.) to the top, comb or brush into place, and tie down with a scarf it should lay down.

zzirvingj

Do you use gel, brush, and scarf on wet or damp hair?

Yes, I've used a little IC Fantasia, a boar bristle brush, and done it on wet hair. And tied a scarf over it.

But it doesn't 'stay in place"...the bang area thats 'brushed over' from the part wants to shrink up and poof up and SHOW OUT lol

hhhmmmm...it must be because that hair isn't long enough to fit in the pony?? and it's shrinking since it's not tied back into the ponytail with the rest of my hair, so it doesn't have the tension/pull of the band to keep it in place. hmm

zzirvingj

I have always worn my hair with a side part since....wow, like I was 11, lol....so my hair just naturally let's me do my hair in high/low buns with my part. I have tried to do center parts (looks awful on me, but also my hair does not want to lie flat....AT ALL!), and once and a while I will just comb my whole hair back with no part at all. But that look is so blank to me so I usually will wear a headband or end up making my side part after all, lol. But yeah, having a side part and a low bun should be easier. I think I can only do higher buns with my side part because my hair is so accustomed to my side part. :grin:

Girl I am looking "blank" every day with all my hair pulled back off my face! I want a side part!

My hair naturally parts in the middle...its crazy...everytime I wash my hair it ALWAYS naturally falls equally down the middle of my head. Maybe I just need to start wearing the side part, regardless of how it 'holds up' the first couple of times, and perhaps my hair will get used to it over time and it'll become easier to do and lay flatter....

LaFemmeNaturelle

Yes, I've used a little IC Fantasia, a boar bristle brush, and done it on wet hair. And tied a scarf over it.

But it doesn't 'stay in place"...the bang area thats 'brushed over' from the part wants to shrink up and poof up and SHOW OUT lol

hhhmmmm...it must be because that hair isn't long enough to fit in the pony?? and it's shrinking since it's not tied back into the ponytail with the rest of my hair, so it doesn't have the tension/pull of the band to keep it in place. hmm

Try brown gel. I use ampro brown gel or regular conditioner. With the conditioner, I have to tie a scarf on for a few minutes and I always do my buns on damp hair. Ic fantasia gel leaves my hair frizzy and dirty looking

Nonie

OP, how about doing some kind of overlapping technique where you swoop the front hairs a small section) forward a bit and then around and over your ear going back. Then brush the hairs directly behind those in a similar fashion only this time they hairs go over the last hairs sort of pinning them under. And you keep doing that...so that you're not just trusting the hairs to stay in place but you're using your own hair "as a scarf" to hold different sections down.

I don't know if I have a photo of my braids where I've used this technique. I wish I had someone's head to demo on. :(

Allandra

That's the only way I wear my buns (parted in the middle or parted on the left side). I do mine in the shower. It's pretty easy for me. If you're having problems with your hair laying down, use a scarf for 15 minutes or so to get your hair to lay down (and of course your favorite moisturizer too). Do this on damp hair.

Fine 4s

Nonie, I need to SEE your method.
Z, I know what you're talking about and I just assumed that if all of my hair can't fit into the pony ain't nothing 'swoopin.'
Now that the front can reach the back I can swoop.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I don't have natural hair but I think if you make the part in your bun when your hair is damp, add styling products (gel, pomade butter, etc.) to the top, comb or brush into place, and tie down with a scarf it should lay down.
THIS.
i usually make my part first, then cowash, and brush my hair in place while my hair is still soaking wet in the shower.
btw, zzirving, have you ever tried ecostyler gel?? honestly fantasia gel doesn't really do it for me when i need to make my hair slick and remain in place.

Ms Lala

I find that IC gel makes my hair curl up (which is good for some styles). It doesn't work well when I want to slick my hair down. I prefer a small amount of ecostyler mixed w/ grease (yeah I know it's not LHCF approved) or shea butter. I find that the grease help slick the hair down and the gel helps it to hold. Then I tie my hair down w/ a scarf.

ellegantelle

IMG_0895.jpg
The only way I can get a slicked down bun/ponytail and have it last for the entire day is if I wash/completely wet my hair before I apply any product. I've tried to do this with damp hair or dry hair but for some reason with the product(s) I use, it doesn't last more than 2 hours. The products I use are: Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Coconut Oil/Shea Butter Mix, Fantasia IC Thick n' Shine Gel (in that order) Then I use a brush and gather the hair into a ponytail and then VIOLA! Hope this helps ;)

moore.1506

Have you ever tried first wearing it in two french braids with the hair parted the way you want your bun parted, then taking the french braids down the next way and pulling it back into a bun? It will have the waves like a braid out and it will already be going in the direction you want. (sorry i know this is old but maybe this will help someone else)

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I wear mine with a side part because that's how my hair falls. When I try to push it all back, the side with the part looks really thin. But when I first started doing it, I had shorter hair on the side (bangs) so I did one flat twist kind of thing on the side so that the hair wouldn't pop out. I kept doing it because my hair doesn't lay down flat on that side.

I usually don't take side pictures but I think you can see what I'm talking about in this picture. I use product to hold it down while I flat twist it back:

Nonie

Fine 4s, I didn't know you'd addressed me in this thread since you didn't mention me (Nonie). I don't always return to threads I've posted in or may not for days, but a mention would alert me.

OK, here's a photo of my relaxed hair when it was bob length:

In the image below, I've done a side part and while I didn't create a bun at the back but just crossed over the ends and tucked them under, I used the method I described earlier in this thread to keep the hair that is too short to swoop and make it around my big head from the part to the back from pulling out:

The attached image shows how I created it. The curved line to the left is the shortest part, then the next line shows how the hair immediately behind it overlapped the ends of that shorter section, and then the next section overlapped that...each subsequent section holding the ends down of the section immediately in front of it...as a scarf would. I hope the image helps clarify:

Attachments

• Overlapping method for creating a side part on short hair.jpg
    Overlapping method for creating a side part on short hair.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 16

Fine 4s

I probably didn't know how to do the @ thing...last year. You know I'm technologically challenged lol