We all know you're supposed to deep condition.............

Reece1337

...........about once or twice a month to maintain healthy hair (yes, there may be exceptions) but how often are you supposed to deep condition damaged and severly dry hair? I just deep conditioned my hair a week ago and my hair has improved after doing so. However, it is still very dry and prone to breakage - I do moisturize every night so my next guess is to deep condition again? Sounds like it might be too much protein...........btw, I deep condition w/Humectress. TIA!!!

KiSseS03

I don't think it's too soon to deep condition again after a week, particularly if your hair is very dry. If you are concerned about the protein content of your current conditioner try one that is more moisturizing. A great cheap conditioner that I like is Suave Humectant.

I deep condition my hair (when out of braids) every time I wash (2-3x per week) and I alternate between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner. This gives me great results.

oduwu

I deep condition every time I wash, 1x per week. I noticed that deep conditioning helped my breakage tremendously.

I went through a period where I was using Aveda's Elixir leave in conditioner for about 3 straight weeks, but my hair started breaking really bad. So I'm back to deep conditioning. I use a moisturizing conditioner.

Reece1337

Thanks for the replies ladies, I do have some humectant - however, it has about the same protein content as humectress (basically, it's a bootleg version of the more expensive nexxus version). Do you have any other suggestions for a moisturizing conditioner?

Arcadian

I DC once a week. Some people can get by on much less. (lucky them!) I think its a PITA but I do it anyway:lol: I used to be a once a month-er until I learned to pay closer attention to my hair.

You may need to DC weekly or even try every other week for a while until your hair isn't breaking.

*edit*
ORS paks. If you haven't tried it get one cause they rock!

-A

Reece1337

Arcadian said:
ORS paks. If you haven't tried it get one cause they rock!

-A

Oh yeah, ORS pak!!! I bought one of these based on reviews and never got around to using it - Guess it's about that time, huh? :D

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I shampoo and DC twice a wk, w/ nexxus prod. and dominican conditioners. You will also need to moisturize your hair daily to help w/restoring moisture, also try doing a pree-poo w/some EVOO for about 15 min. under the dryer or 30 min. just w/a plastic cap. Doing this before every poo will help leave moisture in after washing. You can also add some EVOO to you DC along w/a dallop or two of honey. HTH's

Divine Inspiration

I deep condition AT LEAST once a week...oftentimes twice a week. I do light protein (Nexxus Keraphix) every other week and my hair loves it. :up:

I personally think just about every relaxed head can benefit from weekly deep conditioning. The key is to use the right products to achieve the desired effect.

Lavendar

I just really started my hair journey in Dec. 05, so I am still DC'ing every time I wash, which is every 3-4 days.

carameldiva

i have naturally dry hair, so i do a pre-poo treatment with castor oil weekly overnite or on the day of pooing- i sit under the dryer for 30 mins. prior to pooing. I deep condition weekly and adding a little oil and a little honey is a great idea- i did that myself today and i could really tell the difference.

jaded_faerie

i deep condition once a week. However since I recently bleached my hair AND have a relaxer, I added a pre-poo. I might begin to DC 2x a week because my hair really needs it now.

kizzylonghair

Reece,

Its all about striking the right balance between moisture and protein
FOR YOU!!!

I have fine stranded hair and I have relised that I needed a lot more protein than I was using. My breakage wasnt from dryness but from weak hair strands.

I have started using some Nexxus Kephix once a week or sometimes every other week, I nearly miss my Emergencee every 5/6 weeks. And I always follow up with a deep con humtress/humecto with heat.

My hair has never been stronger

HTH

MissYocairis

I deep condition once a week mostly but I have been known to deep condition twice in one week. I also do a mild protein treatment once a week.

Reece1337

CantBeCopied said:
I deep condition once a week mostly but I have been known to deep condition twice in one week. I also do a mild protein treatment once a week.

Okay, so I need to correct myself - I thought that deep conditions were supposed to be done with protein conditioners, otherwise it would be ineffective. What conditioner do you use to deep condition (w/o protein).

gn1g

CantBeCopied said:

I do this when my hair is in bad condition, just like I am at a beauty salon. Your hair will turn up beautiful and healthy after about 4 weeks and a good hair cut.

lala

Design Essentials has information regarding deep conditioning hair that is experiencing shedding or breakage:

If you are currently experiencing breakage locate a trained and licensed cosmetologist to treat your hair with Design Essentials 6-N-1 Reconstructive Conditioner every 2 to 3 weeks until breakage slows and/or ceases. 6-N-1 is scientifically formulated to fill any broken Hair Fibers, stop breakage, and tighten the cuticle.

Description
6-N-1 Reconstructive Conditioner is a unique high performance formula developed to moisturize and reconstruct chemically processed or damaged hair. Natural oils, proteins and humectants perform synergistically to discontinue hair breakage and fill broken fibers. It can be used with or without heat depending on the condition of the hair.

I usually deep condition bi-weekly or if my hair is shedding...

baglady215

Reece1337 said:
Okay, so I need to correct myself - I thought that deep conditions were supposed to be done with protein conditioners, otherwise it would be ineffective. What conditioner do you use to deep condition (w/o protein).

Deep conditioning can be with either protein or moisturizing conditioners. Deep conditioning is the acutal process of sitting under the dryer (or leaving the conditioner on for a long time). For moisture, I love ORS pack as well as Elasta QP DPR-11. :)

baglady215

jaded_faerie said:
i deep condition once a week. However since I recently bleached my hair AND have a relaxer, I added a pre-poo. I might begin to DC 2x a week because my hair really needs it now.

DCing 2X a week has brought my hair back out of the desert! It really works!

Reece1337

Okay okay, I've gotten a lot of information: prepoo-ing, dc'ing 2x weekly, using a moisturizing conditioner as opposed to protein. I'll definitely use the tips I've been given here to see if I'll need a strong protein (aphogee, emergencee) after a few weeks. Hopefully, it won't be necessary though.

Angelicus

I am one of those people that thinks that strong protein conditioners aren't needed if you are deep conditioning every week. All of my conditioner (even the moisturizing ones) have some type of protein it it. Keeps my hair on my head :yep:

facets

wow! twice weekly?!! i am soooo behind and suffering too much dryness as a result. does this help scalp too or just hair?

is this a year round regime(for you 2xweeklies)?

Miss*Tress

anky said:
I am one of those people that thinks that strong protein conditioners aren't needed if you are deep conditioning every week. All of my conditioner (even the moisturizing ones) have some type of protein it it. Keeps my hair on my head :yep:
I agree. Since using ORS Hair Mayonnaise weekly (with a bit of added oil) I have far less breakage. This has been more effective for me than using a moisturizing deep conditioner every week and Aphogee once every 6 weeks.

Reece1337

anky said:

Outta curiosity, which moisturizing conditioners do you use? The only one that was recommended to me was Suave Humentant.

MissYocairis

Reece1337 said:

I use the dominican conditioners (Alter Ego, 10 en 1, Silicon mix) mixed with a bit of olive oil for deep conditionings. For my protein treatments, I use Joico KPac mixed with KerapHix (running out though), or Aphoghee Reconstructor and I add a little bit of moisturizing conditioner (10 en 1) in that mix.

MissYocairis

gn1g said:
I do this when my hair is in bad condition, just like I am at a beauty salon. Your hair will turn up beautiful and healthy after about 4 weeks and a good hair cut.

I just prefer to do the dc's weekly and a protein about once a week to 10 days because I am on my second 16-week stretch and I just want to make sure my hair is happy. It gets very thirsty in winter time..

MissYocairis

Reece1337 said:

I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to the other part of your comment....you DO need to do a deep cond. after a protein treatment. And, I do always follow up a protein treatment with a deep cond. Also, I never do a protein treatment without clarifying with a mix of Nexxus Aloe Rid and Suave Clarifying poos first.