Washing hair in braids/plaits...WOW!

Cayenne0622

preciousjewel76 said:
I take out the plait and rinse, but I think you could do it either way. I love this method! What I do:

*Section hair with fingers and spray roots with my diluted S-Curl mixture
*Divide hair into 4 sections
*Loosely plait each section
*Secure with barrette or snag-proof ponytail holder (my barrettes pop off sometimes while I'm in the shower!)
*Wet hair
*Pour diluted shampoo over hair and massage each section/plait well
*Rinse
*Unplait each section, add conditioner, re-braid
*Cover with plastic cap & deep condition as usual
*Unplait by section and rinse

I didn't realize this method could be done one shorter hair. Hmmmm...maybe I can give it a shot too!

LovelyLionessa

High Priestess said:
How has your hair benefited from this?

Like the other ladies said, it minimizes tangling which is a no small feat, I lose a lot less hair this way. Tangles are no fun, washing in braids keeps them at bay and prevents breakage.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I tried the washing in braids tonight and it was just so-so. My hair is fine and thin and my hair tangled and had more shedding than when I just wash it straight. :( I had to take extra care and time to detangle and thank God I used my bone comb.

Perhaps it's better for ladies with thicker or natural hair! Anyhow, I am happy it works for you ladies! :)

joyous

I also wash this way. Sometimes I get lazy and revert back to my olds ways but when I see how much hair is lost, I go right back to the plait methd.

lonei

janiebaby said:
So take out the plait, put conditioner on hair, then replait with conditioner on, then rinse with plait still in or take out plait and rinse out conditioner?

I wash in 10 braids, when I take it out and add conditioner, I dont rebraid, I just put on my platic cap and clip them to my head, my this time the sections are already formed and I wash it out one by one.

Dearlove

High Priestess said:
Oh, I did not know you'd have to apply shampoo. Maybe french braids might work for me because my hair isn't very long. I guess if I rinse long enough, the shampoo will come out.
How often do you wash this daily?

Perhaps a loose french braid might work, or you can try using more than four braids if you can't catch all of your hair in four.

Perhaps a co-washer can provide more comment on your other question. I wash only weekly with shampoo - I'm too tenderheaded to wash more frequently. lol

Mizani_Mrs

Ha! I been too afraid to take another pic. I'm scared because i dont see too much progress actually. But i am like 8weeks post, in 3 weeks i will post a pic when i get my touchup. I PROMISE!!!

i'll start doing more updates this year....

cmw45 said:
Mizani_Mrs, when's a girl gonna get an update...it's almost been a year...I know there's got to be a hair update. Let's see that growth.

TwistNMx

Dearlove said:
Perhaps a loose french braid might work, or you can try using more than four braids if you can't catch all of your hair in four.

Perhaps a co-washer can provide more comment on your other question. I wash only weekly with shampoo - I'm too tenderheaded to wash more frequently. lol
My hair is so fragile...especially the last 3 inches, so I could try the french braids I suppose... :look: I will have to try it because I fell like conditioner or shampoo will remain stuck there when I take it down.
I washed my hair again this a.m. but did not try this yet.

nycutiepie

january noir said:
I tried the washing in braids tonight and it was just so-so. My hair is fine and thin and my hair tangled and had more shedding than when I just wash it straight. :( I had to take extra care and time to detangle and thank God I used my bone comb.

Perhaps it's better for ladies with thicker or natural hair! Anyhow, I am happy it works for you ladies! :)

JanuaryNoir - my hair is fine and thin and it worked for me but I only did it toward the end of my stretch when I had a lot of new growth. You can't wash vigorously...you just have to like squeeze the braid. I think there's a video example on the crown and glory website.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
nycutiepie said:
JanuaryNoir - my hair is fine and thin and it worked for me but I only did it toward the end of my stretch when I had a lot of new growth. You can't wash vigorously...you just have to like squeeze the braid. I think there's a video example on the crown and glory website.

Hi nycutiepie! - I did not wash vigorously at all. It may have been the cheapie conditioner (VO5 Champagne Kiss) that I cowashed with now that I think about it. I normally cowash with Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol or Nexxus Humectress. I guess I have "Diva" hair and likes "expensive" conditioners! :lol: Thanks for responding!