* Volumizing/Thickening poos and condishes - do they work? *

MissNina

Libra Girl
I think I want to start using volumizing poos/condishes regularly. I've never used one. I'm a Garnier stan and want to try Body Boost, but have only heard one review so far and it wasn't that great.

Do you think these products work or just weigh the hair down temporarily? Furthermore, if you've tried Garnier BB, did it really add a lot of volume to your hair or no? Would you repurchase?

If you haven't tried it, what volumizing/thickening poo/condish do you swear by?

Thanks in advance :)

SheenaVee

I used one a while back. However, I'm not sure if it thickened up my hair because it made my hair really dry so I only used it about twice and then stopped. The one I used was called Izazzu? I don't remember the name.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I used one a while back. However, I'm not sure if it thickened up my hair because it made my hair really dry so I only used it about twice and then stopped. The one I used was called Izazzu? I don't remember the name.

Hmmmm, I wonder if it made your hair dry b/c of the added protein usually in them to "plump" the hair up......

Miss*Tress

Volumizing shampoos and conditioners tended to make my hair feel dry, so I shy away from them.

Have you considered using henna or cassia to make your hair feel fuller?

Christelyn

I stay away from the poos, but Ojon has a hydrating and volumizing spray that I use that really helps my fullness, as well as hydrates and is said to reduce breakage.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Volumizing shampoos and conditioners tended to make my hair feel dry, so I shy away from them.

Have you considered using henna or cassia to make your hair feel fuller?

Well, I thought about Henna but I'm hair lazy and anything I have to mix up and doctor up I'm automatically against lol. Also, I hear that is a quite heavy amount of protein.

I stay away from the poos, but Ojon has a hydrating and volumizing spray that I use that really helps my fullness, as well as hydrates and is said to reduce breakage.

Hmmmm. . .interesting. I'll try to investigate this!

Thanks ladies :)

classylayd

I have tried Pantene Full & Thick a while back and everyone noticed the fullness in my hair. I have not tried any other brand but this one seemed to work....FOR ME!

Angelicus

Volumizing shampoos are for people with fine hair that don't want their hair weighed down. They do not make the hair thicker at all. Volumizing products are usually thin in viscosity.

Thickening shampoos usually have B5/panthenol in them. There are big debates on here whether you can make hair strands thicker. I'm one of those people that don't think so. I think you can make new growth come in thicker, though. I think ingesting vitamins is a better route (B vitamins have been proven to penetrate hair strand though).

Aggie

I think beer rinses work better than volumizing poos and conditioners in my opinion. However, I do like the immediate effects of Jason Natural Thin to Thick poo and conditioner but unfortunately it is not lasting at all, especially with heat styling. After a warm, flat beer rinse mixed with a little jojoba oil, my hair dries nice and big sorta (air-dried of course), I actually like it but not the smell:nono:.

ETA: I hear Knox for Nails gelatin works at thickening hair strands also. I would even take some type of collagen supplement as well.

Last edited:

MissNina

Libra Girl
Thanks for the info, ladies. My hair is already pretty darn thick, I just want it thickER or full of more volume. I wonder if these products will have the same effect on ppl with thick hair as they do with ppl with fine hair. . .

I've been eyeing the Joico Body Lux for awhile as well. I may check that out. I've always heard Joico in general is a great line.

gymfreak336

Thanks for the info, ladies. My hair is already pretty darn thick, I just want it thickER or full of more volume. I wonder if these products will have the same effect on ppl with thick hair as they do with ppl with fine hair. . .

I've been eyeing the Joico Body Lux for awhile as well. I may check that out.

Nina, if you already have thick hair, you probably won't get the same effect with the shampoo's conditioners. One reason why they help fine hair is because they lay down a protein base to help increase the cuticle to cortex ratio temporarily. This gives hair a little more oomph and creates a charge difference that helps give hair body. You will probably have more success with the styling aids and slightly altering your styling methods. The body lux foam is nice and it gives me nice body. Even though my hair is fine, it is pretty thick but I am always on the hunt for something to give me massive hair :lol: Either way, you can always try it out and return it if need be.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Nina, if you already have thick hair, you probably won't get the same effect with the shampoo's conditioners. One reason why they help fine hair is because they lay down a protein base to help increase the cuticle to cortex ratio temporarily. This gives hair a little more oomph and creates a charge difference that helps give hair body. You will probably have more success with the styling aids and slightly altering your styling methods. The body lux foam is nice and it gives me nice body. Even though my hair is fine, it is pretty thick but I am always on the hunt for something to give me massive hair :lol: Either way, you can always try it out and return it if need be.

:lachen: You sound like me. . .I want HUGE hair. I'll probably try to get a few products from the line, including the foam, and test them out. IDK how to alter my styling methods though. I'll investigate!

Miss*Tress

I've been eyeing the Joico Body Lux for awhile as well. I may check that out. I've always heard Joico in general is a great line.
If you don't already roller set, I highly recommend the technique as a means to big hair rather than *just* product.