Vacation Tips On Keeping Hair Fly

Country gal

Ladies, I will be going on vacatio for two weeks. I wanted suggestions on what to bring, things you do while on vacation. I am going to wear my hair out versus in twists since Italy has so much pollution. I don't want to haul everything in my hair tub.

Do you put your favorite products in a smaller container or buy a smaller version to save space?

I try to find travel sizes for all of my products and then if they are not available I will put them in small containers. If you get samples from the Origins store they have really sturdy plastic little containers that hold quite a bit of product.

HTH

Thanks for posting as I have been haggling about this too. I'm off to Hawaii next Friday for 8 days.

I went to target and bought a handful of those travel size plastic containers that you can put shampoo, condish, etc in. I believe they are 4 oz each. What I plan on doing is on Thursday night I will flat iron my hair. I want to have at least one day of great pics when I get there before the swimming starts. I plan on filling up 2 of the 4 oz containers with the suave milk/honey condish and co wash when I deem necessary. The day I start swimming is the day I will start my cowashing. I will take 1 4 0z bottle filled with swimmer shampoo, actually maybe 2 of them since my daught will be swimming as well. I will take my whole jar of curly pudding and jel :lol:. I will probably take my diffuser attachment and hope it attaches to her dryer. if not oh well, no biggie. I will take several scarves, headbands etc and lastly will probably take my rollers to do wet sets over night.

Country gal said:
Ladies, I will be going on vacatio for two weeks. I wanted suggestions on what to bring, things you do while on vacation. I am going to wear my hair out versus in twists since Italy has so much pollution. I don't want to haul everything in my hair tub.

Do you put your favorite products in a smaller container or buy a smaller version to save space?

Just curious why you'll be wearing your hair out instead of twists because of the pollution, is it because you can wash more? I wore my hair in twists when I went on vacation because I don't use as many products. If I wore my hair out i'd need gel, curly pudding, a leave-in, shampoo, a brush. I just took a bottle of conditioner to do a cw wash and a moisturizer to use daily. I also took ponytail holders so I could pull my hair back and of course my satin bonnet.

Last edited:
I don't have any hair tip CountryGal; but I wanted to tell you I am excited that you are going away for your vacation. Enjoy yourself and tell us all about it when you get back!!!! Good for you!

Country gal said:

Good luck on your vacation.

I'm going to Florida in two weeks, and I think I'm wearing my hair out as well (surprise, surprise).

I use a lot of conditioner, so I'm bringing:
-My two stand alone conditioners: Moisture Maniac and TJ Nourish (these will have to be leave-ins and for CW--I have the small bottle of MM for traveling, not the liter size)
-Two gels (probably IC Fantasia blue and one other) (I don't really need gels at all, but I want some protection from the sun, and gels do that for me).
-D4 brush
-One night moisturizer, just in case
-Satin pillowcase (always bring one with me)
-Hair accessories

I won't bother with travel sizes--I don't know how often I'll want to wash my hair.

Compared to the hot curlers, blow dryer, shampoo, three different moisturizers, comb, brush and hair accessories I used to carry, I think I've downsized! :)

chocolate01 said:
Just curious why you'll be wearing your hair out instead of twists because of the pollution, is it because you can wash more?

I'm sure she'll answer this herself (sorry for intruding!), and I don't know if it's for this reason alone, but I totally understand where she's coming from. The pollution in Italy is horrendous. I washed my hair every day there for that reason alone. This might put it into perspective a little, and sorry for the grossness - on the trip, when I would do something as little as cleaning my nose, all kinds of black soot would show up on the tissues. Every day. Walk around in flip flops? Black crud all over the soles of your feet after a few hours. Gorgeous country, horrible pollution.

phoenixnycki said:
I'm sure she'll answer this herself (sorry for intruding!), and I don't know if it's for this reason alone, but I totally understand where she's coming from. The pollution in Italy is horrendous. I washed my hair every day there for that reason alone. This might put it into perspective a little, and sorry for the grossness - on the trip, when I would do something as little as cleaning my nose, all kinds of black soot would show up on the tissues. Every day. Walk around in flip flops? Black crud all over the soles of your feet after a few hours. Gorgeous country, horrible pollution.

Thanks for explaining, I didn't know it was that bad!

chocolate01 said:
Just curious why you'll be wearing your hair out instead of twists because of the pollution, is it because you can wash more? I wore my hair in twists when I went on vacation because I don't use as many products. If I wore my hair out i'd need gel, curly pudding, a leave-in, shampoo, a brush. I just took a bottle of conditioner to do a cw wash and a moisturizer to use daily. I also took ponytail holders so I could pull my hair back and of course my satin bonnet.

I will be washing it more often. I may wear twists the first couple of days and wear it out the rest of the time.

ivanay said:
I don't have any hair tip CountryGal; but I wanted to tell you I am excited that you are going away for your vacation. Enjoy yourself and tell us all about it when you get back!!!! Good for you!

Thanks, Ivanay. I can't wait to go. I haven't been abroad. I am so excited. :D

phoenixnycki said:

Exactly. I heard the pollution is horrible. I don't want my allergies flaring up real bad. So I will wash my hair daily.

Cheleigh- You forgot the clarifying shampoo. It will help with the conditioner build up.

One last thing....can't stress this enough - pack a days worth of clothes and all of your personal stuff - hair, hygeine, and other necessities in your carry on. God forbid your luggage should get lost....My tip to you, since I learned the hard way one time...

Have a good time.

Countrygirl and BreBre both .....Enjoy your trips! I do travel size when I travel too. I am always on the go and I just hate to leave some of stuff behind. Esp the expensive stuff!!

When I go down south this weekend I'm only bringing a travel size bottle of Pantene that I'm using for CW & as a leave-in, & a small container of bbd glass. Oh & my satin bonnet of course :)

I found a BSS that sells trial size versions of popular hair products. I have used these for travel. I put the bottles in platic sandwich bags just in case they leak.

Last edited:
Back