Update: Routine for Hair While Swimming

XXXtacy

Thank you all for your help during this process. Gone back to the hair lab with all of your suggestions and research, and found a routine that is working for me. Wrote a song about it. Like to hear it? Here it go.

Products:
Malibu Swimmers Wellness
Any Conditioner
(2) Oils, Castor Oil & Any Oil of Choice
BeesWax/Vaseline
Swimming Cap - Any type

Treatments:
Malibu 2000 Swimmers' After-Swim Solution (1-2x week)
Deep Condition (1x week)
Greenhouse Effect/Baggying Technique (5 days a week)

Hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhamqzKbNI&list=PL7A139EC8799951B5&index=5&feature=plpp_video

Here's How I do it.

I follow the flat twist style of Kimmaytube's Corinne Bailey Rae style. I follow her video as close as possible but I don't use Shea Butter or Aloe Vera. I use whatever butter or moisturizer is best for my hair and a cheap conditioner. Make sure my hair is oiled, lightly misted with water and then sleep with plastic bag/shower cap. I do not take down the twist during the week. I tie my braids in a bun during the day. [This keeps my hair moisturized and shiny]. Retwist when necessary.

Once to twice a week I use the Malibu Swimmer's powder that has Vitamin C in it as well as deep condition with my favorite product then I completely redo my hair. EVERY NIGHT I do the greenhouse effect.

The breakage has gone down at least 60%. My hair is shiny and moisturized. My ends are protected. They still need some TLC but its a lot better.

-Swim Routine for Natural Hair -

Before swimming
• My hair is usually moisturized since i have been doing the greenhouse effect/baggying method. However, on the occasions it's not, I just add water and a quarter sized amount of conditioner to my hair before swimming. I concentrate on the ends.

• Beeswax/Vaseline around my edges. A nickel size of Castor Oil on my ends. Gently take my ends and place them on the center of my head.

• Slip on swimming cap and swim.

After Swimming

• I use quarter size amount of Malibu Swimmers Wellness Shampoo on my edges and hair. I use a nickel amount of the shampoo on my ends.

• Condition Twice.
1. Condition with cheap conditioner. Wash out completely once.
2. Use a nickel - quarter size amount back in my hair as a leave in.

• I add a lighter oil on my ends and hair.

• Pin up my braids and let dry until the night.

Nonie

XXXtacy or anyone else, why do you all wet your hair before adding conditioner when preparing for a swim? I've never understood that. It would seem to me that wet hair is easier to get wet due to hydrogen bonding (water molecules attracting other water molecules) and that this also dilutes the conditioner you're hoping will protect your hair.

I no longer need to use anything when I swim (thanks to My Swim Cap) and my hair doesn't get wet from chlorinated water at all. Well the coily nape does get wet but I use Vaseline on that and that keeps the chorinated water from touching my hair even there.

But when I used conditioner, I applied it to dry hair. That way I had a nice thick coating that created a better seal IMO than diluted conditioner.

Nonie

@Nonie what kind of swim cap do you use, where can it be purchased, and is it easy to slip on?

Ashawn Arraine Yes, the cap easy to put on because you fasten it after you put it on. But I don't just use it alone. I tie Saran wrap first, then I put it on--but that's what I did with all other caps and still had a wet hairline. I shared about my experiments on different ways of wearing a cap giving updates in the first thread XXXtacy posted on this topic and finally settled on wearing this particular cap well and then not having to shampoo my hair after swimming because my hair stays dry. (See post #64 in that discussion)

This is the cap: http://www.myswimstuff.com/index.html (Shout out yet again to LatterGlory because it was she who introduced me to this wonder)

XXXtacy

Thanks for the link to My Swim Cap. I will pick up one.

Conditioning before swimming. I started that because a swim instructor told me that when the hair is saturated with water and chlorine the hair can not absorb into the hair. Not really sure if this is correct or not. Havent done the research to see if its true or not.

Hopefully, this cap will be the answer. Then I wont have to do 50/11 steps.

Ogoma

I have been using other things to clean my hair and scalp and I haven't used shampoo this year. I am about to start swimming regularly and I am wondering if there is anyway around not using traditional shampoo if my hair gets wet. I use a conditioning cleanser, terressentials mudwash, and ayurvedic powders now.

I should note my hair hates ACV and I had one bad experience with baking soda, but I mixed it with 20-11 things so I don't know which one was the problem.

I am going to buy the cap mentioned above and the goal is not to get my hair wet, but if I don't succeed what are my options. I will be swimming 2-3x a week or so.

Evolving78

Ashawn Arraine Yes, the cap easy to put on because you fasten it after you put it on. But I don't just use it alone. I tie Saran wrap first, then I put it on--but that's what I did with all other caps and still had a wet hairline. I shared about my experiments on different ways of wearing a cap giving updates in the first thread XXXtacy posted on this topic and finally settled on wearing this particular cap well and then not having to shampoo my hair after swimming because my hair stays dry. (See post #64 in that discussion)

This is the cap: http://www.myswimstuff.com/index.html (Shout out yet again to LatterGlory because it was she who introduced me to this wonder)

i am going to order this for my daughter. she will be taking swimming lesson in 2 weeks and she will be going daily. i just don't see myself washing her hair like that. too much damage.

LaidBak

I've been training for a triathlon and my hair is starting to show some damage from the chlorine. I also heard that saturating your hair with regular water helps to keep it from absorbing chlorinated water. Makes sense to me.
I bought some Malibu Swimmers' shampoo and the After Swim solution today. I'm hoping that will help.
I am curious about those neoprene swim caps. Did anyone get it? Does it REALLY work?? If so I'd probably swim every day! I noticed the Sister in the video didn't actually put her head under water LoL!

JJamiah

I bought the My Swim Cap and at first it worked... then I used it a third time and whomp whomp. So I started to wash before putting it on since it got wet anywho.

It still beats the others in my opinion.

I am in week 5 of my swim classes and I have tried several things. As we all know it doesn't take much or long for damage from chlorine to start to take effect on our hair, skin and other.

what works best for ME: is

washing my hair in the shower before going to my class. Slathering Porosity Control and Motions Moisture Plus on my hair then capping it with MY SWIM CAP, cap.

I go to my lessons and when done drive home, then I wash my hair in the shower again with a Conditioner, rinse then add a leave in. I do this twice a week.
My hair feels amazing. When I was shampooing after class my hair was hard, this seems a lot gentler on my strands.

XXXtacy

I bought the My Swim Cap and at first it worked... then I used it a third time and whomp whomp. So I started to wash before putting it on since it got wet anywho.

It still beats the others in my opinion.

I am in week 5 of my swim classes and I have tried several things. As we all know it doesn't take much or long for damage from chlorine to start to take effect on our hair, skin and other.

what works best for ME: is

washing my hair in the shower before going to my class. Slathering Porosity Control and Motions Moisture Plus on my hair then capping it with MY SWIM CAP, cap.

I go to my lessons and when done drive home, then I wash my hair in the shower again with a Conditioner, rinse then add a leave in. I do this twice a week.
My hair feels amazing. When I was shampooing after class my hair was hard, this seems a lot gentler on my strands.

Congrats on the swim lessons!! Your body will thank you!

Delighted you found a routine that is working for you that is half the battle.

Last edited:

naheda72

QUOTE]

JJamiah, What does the bolded mean? Did the water start getting into the cap, did the cap not stay on, did it stretch?