Twists

Dido111

Has anyone seen the Winter 2002 issue of the hair braids magazine with the young lady with the twists? She has about three colors in her hair. A mixture of red,goldish and brown. Does any one know how long those twists last? How do they keep the hair from unraveling? How much does twists usually cost. Can anyone here with twist give me the info ? Thanks

HOTCHOCOLATE

I will be getting extended twists for the first time next Monday. The braiding shop I'm going to (Houston,Tx) will be charging me $150 without hair. I will need to purchase 5 bags of afro kinky hair which may at the most be $20/bag. I was told this style could last from 2-4 months, but I plan on leaving in for only 2 months. I found a website at www.ehairbraiding.com that carries an afro kinky called Phat Bulk. I'm see if they can give me a rush delivery

Ennyaa

Well I've had my twists in for about 3 1/2 weeks and I gotta get these suckas out this weekend. So it'll be a month total. They weren't the kinky kind though. I got them done with Toyokelon(sp) hair down to my butt almost. They were very pretty, but after washing every week, moisturizing and massaging my head every night, not to mention new growth /images/graemlins/grin.gif they really have slipped down/grown out ALOT and the top is looking really fuzzy. I loved them while they lasted and it's great that my hair is growing but for $170 (hair included) they just didn't last long enough.

ms_kenesha

I think that these are the kind of twists I want, I had the kinky twists before do you have a picture of your style?

Ennyaa

I can try and take one for you tonight. After I stop bein lazy and hook my web cam to my pc.

ms_kenesha

Thanks Ennya. I've figured that getting braids for the winter might be the best thing for me because the hair rubbing against the sweaters is no good!

JerseyGirl

Ennyaa

Please give me the number of the place that you went to get your twist. I have searching for places in New York and Jersey and the prices are $150 and up and not including the hair. Help a sister out. Thanks

Nina_S

Hotchocolate,

Please let me know how your experience is with the salon that you are going to. On Saturday, I am going for a consultation at Knappi By Nature (Southeast Houston) and I am also looking to get two strand twists.

Nina

Ennyaa

Okay here are 2 pics of my twists. Not the best images but this digital camera was free. lol

The place where I get my braids done is called Matou's Hair Braiding, 51 Central Avenue in Orange, NJ. Here is the number: 973-676-8608. I've been going there for well over a year for all types of braids. They are good but you have to be CLEAR with them about what you want. At first they tried to charge me $200 but when I protested and said I wasn't getting a lot of small braids but that I wanted BIG parts they agreed to the $170. I also used to pay $170 for tiny invisible braids but with that I supplied the human hair that I buy in the Bronx.

LondonDiva

In this month's Sophisticate's there is a little section on the back page about creating twists yourself. There is a 61 min instructional video #20 Kinky twists.

The web address is listed at http://www.braidsmostwanted.com

I may get this for myself down the line if the video isn't too pricey. Let me know what the site is like as I haven't visited it myself yet, but I was meaning to menton it as a few days ago peopl were askig about how they were created.

HOTCHOCOLATE

This was the worst experience of my life /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif:

Monday was the day for my hair to be done. I purchased Human afro kinky hair (Janet Collection $30/bag--(2)). The style was priced @ $150. The name of the shop is Deluxe Braids and I've only been allowing them to remove extensions that another salon put in. They would always take care of me right away and would beg me to give them a chance next time. I agreed to try them next time---BIG MISTAKE!!!. I made mistakes throughout this mess.

1. Never give anyone your business just because the people are nice.
2. Never give anyone your business without a recommendation.
3. Never give anyone your business if they do not have a photo album on actual braids or extensions that they have done.
4. Never give anyone your business without at interviewing the stylist. ie How long have you been braiding hair? How tight do you braid?

Need less to say I was very disappointed with my hair. I looked like I had a mop on my head /images/graemlins/frown.gif. When the style did not turn out right, she blamed I on the use of the human hair----so, why she did not tell me the style I wanted had to be synthetic? Also, I came in 4 days before my appointment to show her the hair I wanted to use. I felt like crying when I so that mess on my head (the style took 5 hours). I just paid her fee and got out of there. At about 12 o'clock that night, I decide to take that mess out, so I wasted $210. I just could not bare to go back to work with that mess in my hair /images/graemlins/mad.gif

AN EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNED

pebbles

Hi Hotchocolate,

I'm really sorry to hear that. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Like you said, it's an expensive lesson learned.

LondonDiva

Hotchocolate.

That's an awful lot of money that was"thrown" away in a day. And to think you could have got top to toe treatments in a spa for the day with some change leftover.

During the styling were you happy with the work she wass doing or was you going to wait until it was all done hoping that the style would sort of "work itself out" into how you wanted it to look?

Did you tell the stylist that you were not happy with the work she had done and that you were not going to pay the full amount as she knew the style couldn't have been achieved with the type of hair you had.

I'm not blaming you for the poor turnout, but a lot of the times these stylists need to be stopped in their tracks before real damage is done or your hair is not looking the way you want it to look. They think that just because we are paying them money that they have this right to run riot in your hair and scalp and put up with what the end result is. I'm saying this because in your post you don't mention conversing with the stylist during the braids or after you saw the outcome which you didn't like. If you don't like something that they do during or after please speak up. We can't continue to let some of these people going around styling our hair they way THEY want to see and totally ignore the customers needs.

Nina_S

(((Hotchocolate)))

I was hoping that your experience would have been greater than mine.

I made plans with the owner of the shop on Monday to meet her for a required consultation on Saturday at 10 am at her house because "the shop was having electrical problems - HL&amp;P got there account mixed up". <font color="red"> &lt; red flag </font color> Saturday morning I called to her at 9:45 am to tell her that I was running a little late and,"Oh I am soo glad you called me because I am on my way to the shop." GRRR!! When I get the shop she is tightening locks on another customer and she wants to consult with me over the other customer - that didn't sit well. She said the pictures they had taken of the their work did not come out very well "but you can look at some magazines". Okay, I'm holding on. Listening to her conversations, most of the stylists had left for one reason or another. When I showed her the style that I wanted, she told me that the cost of the hair (from His and Hers) was $75/bag and it would take about 4 bags and also the services starts at $300 for twists the length that I was looking for. I am out of the boat!

The only thing that helped me was that there were two customers there (they both had locks) and they shared with me what they did when transitioning that was not expensive.

Keeping hope alive,
Nina

Integrity

300 dollars for twists plus 300 for the extensions??! /images/graemlins/mad.gif surely, even most doctors dont earn that much. greedy sods /images/graemlins/mad.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
DAY-UM!!
I can't believe she had the nerve to blame the results on the type of hair you purchased after she had already approved it! /images/graemlins/confused.gif
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Never give anyone your business without a recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes that isn't enough, either. If I ever get the courage to go to another salon, I want to watch them work on other people's heads. Preferably clients with hair similar to mine.

Ennyaa

See now that's just friggin greedy!!! I hate to say this but was it an African hair braider or an American? Because all the American salons that I've been to charge RIDICULOUS prices for the same services that don't even come out that well.

As for blaming a jacked up style on the type of hair... that's just sad. Most of the time regardless of the hair you use a style will come out right if it's DONE RIGHT. It's really a shame but with most of these places you gotta keep a HAWK EYE on what they're doing. I will stop them several times while they're braiding to make sure they are getting my style right cuz I'm payin too much to look like crap! Since I've been goin to my braiding place for a while they KNOW I'm watching and make sure they do my hair right. I will get up in a minute and show them how I want my hair parted. lol They may be sick of me but they're happy to see my money.

Ennyaa

Hmmmm well.... I'm not too surprised.

This weekend I actually braided my own hair for the first time and I LOVE IT (even though it took ALL weekend /images/graemlins/crazy.gif). I'm loving it for several reasons:

1- It only cost me $6 cuz that's how much the hair was.
2- I got it the length I wanted (below waist) without having to argue with the stylist that YES it's possible.
3- It's so LIGHT!! And not stressing my edges at all.

I braided it a little different than they usually do at the salon. I parted the hair and started braiding my own hair first and THEN added in the hair as I went down. I also didn't add pieces thicker than the amount that was already sectioned off which is why it came out so light. It looks the way it would if my own hair was this length and I decided to braid it. In fact I like it so much that I MAY cancel my salon appointment on the 21st (I was gonna get my Colourshines done.) I'll try and post pics later on.

HOTCHOCOLATE

Londondiva: You are right, some of this mess was my fault. I did just in that chair with my mouth closed while they did my hair---MISTAKE. I did not ask any questions or make any comments while they did my hair. I'm mostly mad with myself for not being more vocal. My regualar stylist would charge $300 and would be a hour late for the appointment. I was tried of her late show for the price I would pay, but at least I would have gotten my style.

Question: Should we accept ruddness/tardiness from stylist to get the style we want? So, if I would have gone to my regular stylist I would've paid another $150 and would've waited a hour after my set appointment. And I would be now telling you guys how much I'm LOVING my twists. HMMM...HMMM.

I just want honesty, if you can't do a style just tell me. And I will have more respect for you as a person/stylist. I just want you to do what you say without me looking over your back.

LESSON LEARNED /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Robin41

Braids

Ennyaa: That's exactly how I like my extensions: large boxes with skinny braids. Sounds simple, right? When I try to explain what I want, they look at me like I'm crazy in the salon. Everybody wants to give you super-tight micros and that's not what I want. So sometimes I do my own too but it does take a looooong time and my arms get tired but I know at the end of the day, I'll have the style I want and it's only gonna cost me the price of the hair. FYI, I'm in Jersey too and lately I've been going to an African shop in New Brunswick where I can SOMETIMES get what I want. Post photos of your braid if you can.
*Robin*