Trying to create Blow Dry Only regimen for winter

marta9227

So I would like to DC and blow dry only, no flat iron, once or twice a month. Any tips on a straight blow dry on transitioning hair? Also, anyone ever use that third attachment that comes with the blow dry stylers, the brush attachment?
Here's the kind I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00092M38G

Thanks ladies! God bless!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

Last edited:

Angel of the North

I recently purchased a great hair dryer that blows out my hair straight enough for me not to need to use straighteners after, it's the Parlux 3000, this make is used by many stylists in Europe and it was when I saw the results after my stylist used it that I just had to have one. Although it's a form of direct heat, it was cutting out my need to use an even more damaging type of direct heat and also the amount of time I spent blow drying. I would go through my hair in sections on low heat, once it was dry I would turn up the heat and this would leave my hair straight, so it's a case of the lesser of two evils. I have only used this dryer up to 12 weeks post but it still straightened my roots, I use the short Willie Morrows hair pik with it.

The problems I have with blow drying stretched/transitioning hair is that it is too much manipulation and direct heat, that's why I didn't use it past 12 weeks post. I just feel that blow drying (especially regularly) during a stretch/transition is a breakage setback waiting to happen and my goal is retention.

The brush attachment sounds like you would need to use the tension method (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), again that's way too much manipulation for me. I'm sure there'll be plenty others who can chime in with advice on ways you can blow dry without needing to use straighteners. HTH

marta9227

Thanks! Sounds like a great blow dryer. Yeah I'm 13 months post so my roots are insane lol!

westNDNbeauty

I would avoid using attachments that manipulate your hair. Hold the ends of your hair taut and run the dryer up and down the shaft of your hair. The use of the concentrator attachment would be best for this.

femmedusiecle

I do the tension method but can never get my ends feeling smooth and soft as the rest of my hair. My ends just turn out dry and rough.

westNDNbeauty

Does this method provide a relatively straight result?

If you are looking to use your dryer to make your hair relatively straight, I would proceed with the technique I described and once your hair was completely dry then I would introduce the use of a tool. This would result in less mechanical damage.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was just about to come in here to recommend the brush attachment.i didnt really use mine until i broke my comb attachment and i prefer it much better to the comb. The brush on my dryer has really flexible bristles that glide through my hair. The way that the bristles spread my hair apart also help to keep the hair detangled and i end up with a much smoother result than the comb attachment. Since the bristles spread the hair out i find my hair also dries faster and i can use bigger sections.

This is just my experience.

marta9227

I was just about to come in here to recommend the brush attachment.i didnt really use mine until i broke my comb attachment and i prefer it much better to the comb. The brush on my dryer has really flexible bristles that glide through my hair. The way that the bristles spread my hair apart also help to keep the hair detangled and i end up with a much smoother result than the comb attachment. Since the bristles spread the hair out i find my hair also dries faster and i can use bigger sections.

This is just my experience.

Really?! Awesome! I have to be honest, I've always kind of thought that was the case, but I was scared to try the brush attachment because it seems like nobody ever uses that attachment. I figured something was really wrong with it lol! I will definitely try it.