Truly Friction Free Seamless Combs?

Nazaneen

I bought a Kent comb years ago believing it was friction free because it's seamless. Well, the curious person that I am, I actually broke one of the combs teeth trying to feel in between and see if it's actually smooth in between. Turned out it was not smooth even though it was seamless. I had to stop using it.
I also got a Mason Pearson comb years ago and I must have been testing that one out too because it has a tooth broken off as well. I've been using Tangle Teeezers for a while now but wanted to use a comb from time to time too. I just went to feel in between the teeth on the Mason Pearson Dentangler comb that I've all but retired... it's seamless but is NOT smooth by any means. It has fine ridges in between and that spells friction to me, possibly worse than a seam even :/.

Now a couple of days ago I just ordered this comb but failed to read the deets and reviews :cry3:. I'll be trashing it w/out even opening the package. ( unless someone wants it, pm me if you do, just pay shipping)
http://www.hotcombs.net/hs1975-styling-comb/
I refuse to risk my hair. Kicking myself for not reading about it first.

Does anyone know of a TRULY SMOOTH seamless comb? My Mason Pearson was over $30 and even that its not smooth :curses:.

virtuenow

@Arlana thank you for raising this issue. I got the Magic Star Jumbo wide tooth comb and it is NOT by ANY MEANS a smooth comb. I commented on it in the Magic Star thread and no one responded. After using it for about a year, I decided I can no longer risk my hairs integrity-- and b/c my hair was still not reaching its full potential-- I just switched (solely) to finger detangling.

Nazaneen

@Arlana thank you for raising this issue. I got the Magic Star Jumbo wide tooth comb and it is NOT by ANY MEANS a smooth comb. I commented on it in the Magic Star thread and no one responded. After using it for about a year, I decided I can no longer risk my hairs integrity-- and b/c my hair is still not reaching its full potential-- I just switched (solely) to finger detangling.

I don't blame you for not risking your hair. I don't think people are really being vigilant about this. They hear it's seamless and that's good enough. Not for me :lol:!.
I bought probably one of the most expensive combs out there ( the Mason Pearson) and it's still NOT smooth! WTF?!!!
And I know Tangle Teezer isn't safe but idk what else to use. I also stopped using my Denman brushes because the bristles I think had seams or something... I barely brush/comb my hair but when I do, I'd like something with smooth bristles/teeth. Do I need to make my own somehow :lol:?

if anyone knows of a TRULY smooth pronged comb please post it here!
I literally broke my pricey combs to really feel in between :nono:.

virtuenow

Here's my post about the Magic Star Rake in the seamless comb thread. You can see what ladies have to say about other combs, too. But, strangely, no one ever seems to mention how these combs are very rough to the touch [and hence, rough on the hair]. Your post is literally the first time I have seen an acknowledgement of this problem-- even after reading countless reviews before my purchase. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16591089&postcount=196

virtuenow

^^^Oh yeah, I also bought a smaller tooth, sharper Magic Star comb. I wedged my fingers between the prongs (almost breaking the teeth) just to feel inbetween (and the teeth are very inflexible by the way). Surprisingly, this one also had the same rough finish. I switched back to the seam combs for a while since they are at least smooth, but then decided to throw in the combs!

Nazaneen

Here's my post about the Magic Star Rake in the seamless comb thread. You can see what ladies have to say about other combs, too. But, strangely, no one ever seems to mention how these combs are very rough to the touch [and hence, rough on the hair]. Your post is literally the first time I have seen an acknowledgement of this problem-- even after reading countless reviews before my purchase. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16591089&postcount=196

I'm glad to see someone else has a very similar concern to mine!
I mean, whats the point of seamless if its rough? If you think about it, maybe a seam really isn't that bad if it's basically smooth whereas a rough yet seamless surface could probably cause repeated micro damage to the cuticle of the hair...
Seeing the word seamless means nothing to me anymore as far as combs are concerned :nono:.

Nazaneen

^^^Oh yeah, I also bought a smaller tooth, sharper Magic Star comb. I wedged my fingers between the prongs (almost breaking the teeth) just to feel inbetween (and the teeth are very inflexible by the way). Surprisingly, this one also had the same rough finish. I switched back to the seam combs for a while since they are at least smooth, but then decided to throw in the combs!

I have one comb that appears truly smooth between the teeth and that's my Cricket rattail comb. That particular model seems not to be made anymore but I think it's still available somewhere online.
It's this one. Cricket FF50 comb...http://www.ellisons.co.uk/Store/Category/998/Product/24813.aspx
I see it's still being sold in Europe...
Here, on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cricket-Fine-Tooth-Rattail-FF50-/181289655903

Wow, they have it cheap. I may get a couple more... really good for rollersetting, combing wet hair...
http://www.fashambeauty.com/cricket-friction-free-ff-50-fine-tooth-rattail-comb-5515256.html

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Arlana
All of my seamless combs from Hercules Sagemann/Hotcombs are truly seamless and I have an extensive collection of them. Also, all of the Hairsense combs I own are truly seamless. I believe that these tools have been a game changer for my fine hair strands.

Also, there are several members who have filed down their own combs from the BSS. That may be an option for you.

Please abandon the tangle teezer! It's my understanding that they cause serious mid shaft splits.

Nazaneen

@Arlana
All of my seamless combs from Hercules Sagemann/Hotcombs are truly seamless and I have an extensive collection of them. Also, all of the Hairsense combs I own are truly seamless. I believe that these tools have been a game changer for my fine hair strands.

Also, there are several members who have filed down their own combs from the BSS. That may be an option for you.

Please abandon the tangle teezer! It's my understanding that they cause serious mid shaft splits.

I just ordered a Hercules Sagemann and apparently it has some sharpness between the teeth from the removal of other teeth during the process of making it :(. Do I dare try one of their other combs?
I will not be using the one I ordered and Hotcombs won't take a return/exchange.

virtuenow

@Arlana

MileHighDiva Hmm, the combs I mentioned are from Hercules Sageman. Do you have the Magic Star Rake? Is it smooth?

virtuenow

I just ordered a Hercules Sagemann and apparently it has some sharpness between the teeth from the removal of other teeth during the process of making it :(. Do I dare try one of their other combs?
I will not be using the one I ordered and Hotcombs won't take a return/exchange.

Removal of teeth? Where did you get this info? So the area at the base of the teeth are sharp? This does not sound good :nono:

I guess not, since you broke the teeth out!! Lol.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
MileHighDiva Hmm, the combs I mentioned are from Hercules Sageman. Do you have the Magic Star Rake? Is it smooth?

:yep: My Magic Star Jumbo and Mini Rakes are both smooth virtuenow

Arlana

I just looked at my 696 and 1975 and I see what they're saying when they say some of the teeth have been removed from the 1975. I never noticed that before. However, I don't believe that it will harm your hair. Especially, compared to a tangle teezer, :lol:

Nazaneen

Removal of teeth? Where did you get this info? So the area at the base of the teeth are sharp? This does not sound good :nono:

I guess not, since you broke the teeth out!! Lol.

Look at the link in the OP. I just ordered this comb and failed to read the info on it prior :(.
No I didn't break the teeth of the Hercules... just the Kent and Mason Pearson :rofl:!

Hotcombs takes no returns at all I think... no matter what... I feel stupid for ordering from them.

Last edited:

virtuenow

Look at the link in the OP. I just ordered this comb and failed to read the info on it prior :(.
No I didn't break the teeth of the Hercules... just the Kent and Mason Pearson :rofl:!

Hotcombs takes no returns at all I think... no matter what... I feel stupid for ordering from them.

Thanks, I found the other comb I bought on that site, the Magic Lady Star: http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-lady-star-comb/

It says: "The teeth are hand-sawn, hand-cut and hand-polished to perfection!"

Seems like they forgot the "polishing" process for my combs.

fluffyforever

Thanks, I found the other comb I bought on that site, the Magic Lady Star: http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-lady-star-comb/ It says: "The teeth are hand-sawn, hand-cut and hand-polished to perfection!" Seems like they forgot the "polishing" process for my combs.

Have have their Jumbo rake, mini rake, detangler, and a handle comb. All these combs are smooth. I was worried about the rakes at first because the surfaces between the teeth do not shine and look like there are rough lines on the surface. However touching them with my finger they felt smooth enough. I also rubbed some cheap toilet paper on the teeth seeing if any white bits would leave behind like on my seamed rattail combs, but they didn't. Overall, I gave these combs a chance and saw that I have less breakage and thoroughly detangled hair. I do wish they were truly polished and smooth looking. But I don't pay any mind to it now.

I also have a cricket carbon seamless rattail comb that is smooth.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I have the Magic Lady Star, the Magic Star Jumbo Rake, and Magic Star Mini Rake. In between the teeth of the rakes are smooth, but not shiny polished like the outside of the rake. They aren't rough though. They glide through my hair and I see no hairs in the combs, so that is good enough for me.

I only detangle with a comb once a month now anyway and for whenever I do a rollerset.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have a conair wide tooth comb with no seems. If your comb has seems just buff out the friction with a nail file until the surface is smooth. Itll save u time and money

Healthb4Length

I have several combs; Magic Star Jumbo, mini, and Lady Star. They ate all smooth and polished, have had 'em for years and the made a big difference when detangling.

Embyra

I bought that 1975 years back and was shocked at the sharpness as well

No one knew what I was taking about lool

I never used it as that sharpness just freaked me out who wants to detangle hair with a knife?