Trimming natural hair

Gullahgirl

Want to be able to manage my NATURAL hair better when I flat iron it. I think the biggest problem now is that I don't get my hair maintained as consistently as I should.

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but my search option isn't working...Any tips on trimming your own natural hair? Trim it wet? Trim it dry? How do I get it all even eventually? My top breaks off because I wear it in a low ponytail at work...

Thanks in advance,

Gullahgirl

lsubabiedee

i do it both wet and dry, and i dont really have a preference. i guess its about ur comfort level b/c i found it a little harder to handle the hair to trim it while wet.

keluric

I've done the twist-cut method. It works very well if you can eyeball about how much to snip off each twist. I prefer to cut dry but I will cut wet from time to time. I never cut very much off.. I dust maybe an eighth of an inch or less. You have to take any layering of your hair into account when you cut if one length is your ultimate goal. Depending on where your hair grows fastest, those areas might need the most cutting to eventually achieve one length.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I think like most things, it depends. If you plan on wearing your hair natural, without pressing or flat ironing it, I think trimming in twists or with it in braids works well. Sometimes though, if you have followed this technique for a while, and you decide to wear your hair straightened, your hair could be uneven. I trim my hair when it is dry and straightened. The logic behind this for me is that my natural hair shrinks up and is pretty forgiving. You can't tell if it is uneven or not in braids. Since I know I wear my hair straightened (press and blowdry), and know that this style is where the health and 'even ness' of the ends are very apparent, this is how I trim it. There are ways to straighten your hair using bands and nylon to get it straight for a trim without heat, too.

JustKiya

I trim my hair in twists - it's the only way that I've found to be sure that I'm really doing a 'good' trim. Also, when my hair is in twists, it's usually pretty obvious WHERE I need to trim to, because the end of the twist will thin down pretty finely, and I trim to where it 'bulks' out.

MsBttrfly23

nappywomyn said:
I trim my hair in twists - it's the only way that I've found to be sure that I'm really doing a 'good' trim. Also, when my hair is in twists, it's usually pretty obvious WHERE I need to trim to, because the end of the twist will thin down pretty finely, and I trim to where it 'bulks' out.

I am still transitioning but this is how I am gradually cutting off perm and keeping ends healthy...I find this method to be sort of "fool proof."