Transitioners/Naturals-something 2 smooth your bun

alibi

hair bored
I'm in my 7th month of transitioning, and I was really searching for something to smooth my buns/ponytails down now that I'm not relaxing. (Is any body else getting those little pieces in the front that just won't stay down?
sekret.gif
) Well, I found my product of the year! It's Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Hair treatment! It's vegetable glycerin based, instead of petroleum based like most grease/pomades, or water based like most gels. I was finding that the grease/pomades cause too much buildup and don't hold, and the gels are too wet and get flaky after a while. I had also tried "Let's Jam" regular and super hold, but they still weren't doing the trick.
nono.gif
Since glycerin is a humectant, this product helps with my frizzies in the humidity too, and keeps my hair feeling moisturized, but not greasy. I still use a little gel when I do my bun, but this is the final step I needed to give me that chic slicked back look I still crave from my relaxer days. This is supposed to be a pre-shampoo treatment, but I haven't used it that way yet. The tube also says it can be used the way I use it.
smile.gif
Anyways, here's a picture of it, and you can find it in any natural grocey store! I also listed the ingredients, which are very yummy and contain some nice oils. Oh, and it's SMELLS FANTASTIC, like apricot of all things!
lick.gif
If anyone tries it, let me know what you think!
wink.gif

avocadohair-1.jpg

Ingredients:

Vegetable glycerin, olive oil, oat protein, avocado oil, orange oil, lanolin, sweet almond oil, water, tocopherol (vitamin E), nettle extract, rosemary extract, fragrance.

Oh, BTW, I didn't mean to leave my relaxed sisters out of this product rec, but I know it's much easier to slick your hair down when you're relaxed!
wink.gif

I've been wanting to try this. I'm glad to hear it smells good. I once used this Burt Bees lotion that smelled so bad I wanted to retch after I put it on my hands!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
I've been wanting to try this. I'm glad to hear it smells good. I once used this Burt Bees lotion that smelled so bad I wanted to retch after I put it on my hands!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you, I actually get nauseaus from the smell of a LOT of things, so if I'm recommending it that's saying something!
smile.gif
BTW, one more day til the BIG CHOP! Good luck girl, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!
up.gif
wink.gif

Yep, I get those pieces too.

I thank you too for the recommendation because I need something that's not greasy or water based. I actually bought this product some time ago and have yet to use it. Perhaps it's because I was wearing braids at the time but couldn't resist adding it to my arsenal of products anyways (possibly a pj thing?).
I hope it's not too old now.
ohwell.gif

Goodluck Ms. Kenesha!
up.gif

I liked this product when used it as a pre-shampoo, and I can't agree more with you about the smell
lick.gif
. Just makes you want to eat it up. Maybe I'll repurchase and try as a leave in.

Re: Transitioners/Naturals-something 2 smooth your

Do you use this on your wet hair or dry hair? I could use something to put in right after a wash and slick my hair back and just be done with it
scratchchin.gif

When I used this product as a pre-shampoo, it was on wet hair. The product is very thick, so I think that I would be really hard to distribute all over dry hair (the edges would probably be ok).

I like the natural ingredient list but my relaxed hair didn't think it was the bomb. It's been sooooo long ago. Maybe it's still in my stash if so I'll give it another try.

OK.... Since I've accepted that I am a full blown PJ I'm just gonna go ahead and buy this stuff because those pieces at my edges drive me crazy when I'm trying to slick my hair back. And my fro is just starting to laugh at gel. Maybe this will help me. I keep hearing a lot about glycerin and natural hair, I'm gonna have to start to look into this more.

Are you using this on wet hair? dry hair? or is it good for both?

Back