Transitioner in desperate need of help - hairstyle pics???

Glib Gurl

Hey Guys -

As you can see from my siggy, I am trying to transition (at least for the summer :look:). I have worn my hair relaxed since I was 12 or 13 and other than a wash-n-go, I really don't know what to do with my hair. So I'm hoping that you, my LHCF, sisters can help me find some hairstyle ideas? I'm particularly hoping for pics - either your own or referrals to other websites or fotkis.

My hair is between SL and APL . . . and even though I only have about 1 inch of ng, my hair has a fairly strong curl pattern . . . .

Please help me - otherwise I will be revisiting the creamy crack sooner than expected!

Thanks in advance!

^^^I did a braid out yesterday . . . I was good until I went outside. The humidity laughed in my face :look:

^^^I did a braid out yesterday . . . I was good until I went outside. The humidity laughed in my face :look:

Maybe you need something to hold and set the twists like conditioner a thick one or some or hair butter or gel. I know about humidity my hairs in box braids and it's curling itself out of them even though the ends are secured w bands.
Humidity: 1 Lucia: 0

Last edited:
Maybe you need something to hold and set the twists like conditioner a thick one or some or hair butter or gel. I know about humidity my hairs in box braids and it's curling itself out of them even though the ends are secured w bands.
Humidity: 1 Lucia: 0

:lachen:................

I'm not sure if you have a particular styling preference (updos, buns, rollersets, etc.), but my one piece of advice if you're serious about transitioning is treat your hair like it's already natural. If you're transitioning and still trying to embrace straight styles or operating under the notion that your transitioning/natural hair will still do what your relaxed hair did, then you're setting yourself up for failure imo. So as cliche as it sounds :), opt for styles that blend the textures and/or keep manipulation low.

This style has been my saving grace throughout my transition so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s19O5Q6c_A

And these are my other go-to styles when I want something different:
1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8jwdcsqX9k
2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE-xKlc12tE

Hope that helps!
And best of luck, I know how difficult it is to transition long-term!

The first question you have to answer is if you are really going to transition or going to stretch your relaxer for the summer.

Before I transitioned, I stretched my relaxers for four months a few times, just so I could get the hang of managing my new growth. But I continued to treat my hair as relaxed hair, mainly using products geared towards relaxed hair, focused on strength more than moisture.

When I decided to transition, I treated my whole head as if it were natural. I gradually moved to more natural products, and focused more on moisture than strength. I will say the further I got along in the transition, the relaxed did break off. The trade off was by the time I BC'd, my natural hair was in great shape to start my natural hair journey.

The only thing I did consistently was not relax my hair. Everybody's hair is different and what worked for me may not work for you. I just took it day by day and listened to my hair. Some days it did not want to be worn in a braid out, I respected that and put it in a bun. Some days it wanted to be wild and free, twist/braid/bantu knot out + a good head band (good head bands will rescue many, many bad hair days) = my best friends. Product that worked one day would not work the next, i just went with it.

^^^ITA with daydream. Talking about relaxers with only an inch of growth is already defeating the purpose of transitioning. Before I started my transition, I used to stretch my relaxers to see how I would manage my new growth.

So when I actually started my transition in December of 2009, I already knew what to expect and my mind was already drifting away from relaxers. Even when I'm having bad hair days, I don't think about relaxing, I simply cook up a style and use my trusty head band and KIM.

I don't know if you've ever stretched in the past and for how long, I would suggest you take it on a week by week basis to say how you feel about your hair. And even if you do relax, no one will judge you.

I would suggest you try rollersets, flexirod sets, braidouts, twist out and such. Depending on how you feel about braids and twists, you might want to look into them when you are deep into your transition.

ETA: Here are 2 threads you might want to check out on transitioning support HHJ:grin:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=512945&highlight=transitioners
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410134&highlight=transitioners

Last edited:
Just cut it Glib..:lol: Just cut it all off.

Wow - I didn't realize you had done the BC - congrats!

Yeah. I am not there yet . . . at all.

Reading the most recent posts I realize that what I'm trying to do is stretch my relaxer . . . I don't want to be *afraid* of my new growth anymore . . .

Are you completely against the idea of half wigs? That's what I used before the big chop. And continue to use. :Blush2:

^^^No, but I don't have any at the moment. I mostly use phony ponies . . .

okay so I went on yt and found some good videos about how to do a blowout . . . and amazingly, mine came out pretty good! So, i'm going to put on a pony and rock it this weekend :yep:

Are you completely against the idea of half wigs? That's what I used before the big chop. And continue to use. :Blush2:

Me too. I'm 7 months post with at least 3.5 inches of new growth and 12-18 inches of relaxed hair. I've been wearing half wigs consistently since February. My favorite is Tammy by Outre. I plan on transistioning, but previously would wear half wigs at 8 weeks post or more when I wanted to look cute and not manipulate my own hair.

To help manage your new growth really focus on keeping your entire head mosturized, but pay special attention to your roots and line of demarcation. I noticed when my new growth is happy, all of my hair is happy. Good luck :)

Back